Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Whopper

O SEA D is on a distinguished road

G'day Reg I did have to remove the PCM to get at the board to clean the silicon off the pins.

It was a little bit fiddly but when I pulled back the plastic lining under the guard I was able to get my socket in behind it to get at the bolt.

I had a look at getting at the bolt from under the bonnet but it just wasn't possble (for me anyway) so that is why I did it the way I did.

I think with the way our Aussie trucks are built it is very difficult to get to the bolt on the back of the PCM from under the bonnet.

My truck is a 6 speed so I dont think I will be looking at any tranny mods in the future.

The best thing about the FU is that if I want to upgrade to the FU2 later it is very easy to do (as far as I know) so I figured I wasnt locking myself into one product that cant be upgraded at a later stage.

Do you think the Frx made much of a difference?

Last edited by O SEA D; Tue, September 21st, 2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Honkytonk Stomp

Goose is on a distinguished road

I honestly dont like the idea of cutting it yes it saves time but it also helps keep the chip "seated" so it doesnt wiggle out which in turn could cause problems down the road.
PHP Tunes
Recon LED Cab Lights
Isspro Boost/Trans/Pyro in Under Dash Pod
Tymar
Sirius Radio
Old Tue, September 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM
Whopper

Did the install today and Holy S#!+ these tunes are as smooth as butter.
The truck has gone from a jerky, noisy, buggar of a thing to drive, with the Evolution, to a smooth finely tuned beast with the FU chip.

In short, I love it.

I pulled my PCM a few days ago to clean off the silicon and then reinstalled it and when I got my chip today I was able to just remove the black bracket and install the chip without having to remove the PCM.
I cut a small piece out of the top of the bracket so it didn't pinch the switch cable but apart from that the bracket is basically still as it was.
Old Tue, September 21st, 2010, 05:33 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I honestly dont like the idea of cutting it yes it saves time but it also helps keep the chip "seated" so it doesnt wiggle out which in turn could cause problems down the road.
I agree Goose, with the placement of our Aussie truck PCM's it is a real worry because it is in a fairly exposed position that could easily be knocked .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0693.JPG (156.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0695.JPG (159.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0694.JPG (166.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by O SEA D; Tue, September 21st, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old Tue, September 21st, 2010, 06:07 AM
Double Whopper

AussieOiler is on a distinguished road
Default Aussie PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O SEA D View Post
Did the install today and Holy S#!+ these tunes are as smooth as butter.
The truck has gone from a jerky, noisy, buggar of a thing to drive, with the Evolution, to a smooth finely tuned beast with the FU chip.

In short, I love it.

I pulled my PCM a few days ago to clean off the silicon and then reinstalled it and when I got my chip today I was able to just remove the black bracket and install the chip without having to remove the PCM.
I cut a small piece out of the top of the bracket so it didn't pinch the switch cable but apart from that the bracket is basically still as it was.
G'day mate,
Sounds like your one happy camper
Doing the prep before the chip arrived did mean you wasted no time insertin' that sucker. Real glad to hear your stoked.
Out of interest; what were the final tunes you went with, and for what reason?

As far as the RRFRx goes; there is no real noticable improvement mate.
However being a diesel mech in a former life, I'm real touchy about air in fuel systems. As you may know the fuel returns from only one end of each head (front on left head and back on right hand head) and this has a tendency to so call 'dead head' the fuel on the ends with no return. This in turn can trap minute air pockets in these areas and that is why at times you can get an audable rattle in #8 or #6 injector. The same happens in #1 & #2 but you only can only hear 6 & 8 because they are against the firewall on the passenger side (for our US friends; that's the left).
Anyway when International designed the 444Te they had the fuel return coming from the four ends, but in thier wisdom and as a cost saving decision the Ford engineers designed it out. These are probably the same jokers who routed the CCV into the turbo intake
So by fitting the RiffRaff FRx you are returning the design to original. Also there is a shim mod you can do to the fuel pressure regulator to slightly increase the fuel delivery pressure. RiffRaff designed this into their FRx, so you get that little benifit with this mod as well. So I reckon for around US$120 why not eliminate the possiblity of early injector failure (cheap insurance basically).
Now if you are considering this, I believe the October issue of Diesel World has done test and trials on this RRDFRx you might want to get a hold of that issue and read up on it. I just got the missus to order a copy.

Anyway mate, put your chipped Effie trough your tunes and report back.
I'm about to order mine.

Ohh..and by the way; now that you are you control that 'mod bug', because when it bits you get a sickness

Take care,
Reg.
[/SIGPIC] Aussie 2005(US 2003)F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr PS: AIS Intake,Zoodad,Cowl Hood,AIH delete,DIY CCV,PHP FU2 Chip,RiffRaff FRx,HPx & OCR,BTM Exhaust,HD rear spring set,Front leveler spring, Dual Tower shocks front,Tough Dog Damper,ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler+OEM Cooler, BD Deep Pan,JWVB,Long Range Fuel Tank,Edge Evo2,VMS In Dash Nav. GVM(GVWR)Upgraded to 5,000k(LT Rated F350+).
Old Tue, September 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Whopper

G'day Reg have just reread my posts from last night and yeah I did sound a little excited.
Note to self Bundy Rum raises enthusiasm.
I must say that I am very happy with the chip though.
Scott
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
G'day Reg have just reread my posts from last night and yeah I did sound a little excited.
Note to self Bundy Rum raises enthusiasm.
I must say that I am very happy with the chip though.
Scott
G'day Scott,

Really pleased for ya mate. Just give us an update on how the truck has performed on each of your selected tunes.

I'm about to pull the trigger on my order. I've studied enough and found blokes with riggs having much the same mods as mine has and are towing the same weights around much the same terrain.
So I've got a pretty good idea of what tunes to ask for. But will post for opinions prior to placing the order.

Having said in the earlier posts that I am a total 'Ludite' when it comes to computer stuff, it seems that I may have to rethink that attitude.
I've read enough posts that indicate that a lot of blokes have had to send thier Phoenix Chip back for re-burns/tweeks etc.
That would be a PITA for us out here in Aussie, and taking your earlier comment that by going with an FU/FU2 there is no need to send the chip back. Just let PHP know the concerns and he sends the re-worked tune for you to download and burn on your own burner.
Guess I'll have to come out of my cave (a Ludite is a cave dweller, someone who shuns the modern world) and trust the computer age.
Anyway keep us informed.

Cheers,
Reg.
[/SIGPIC] Aussie 2005(US 2003)F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr PS: AIS Intake,Zoodad,Cowl Hood,AIH delete,DIY CCV,PHP FU2 Chip,RiffRaff FRx,HPx & OCR,BTM Exhaust,HD rear spring set,Front leveler spring, Dual Tower shocks front,Tough Dog Damper,ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler+OEM Cooler, BD Deep Pan,JWVB,Long Range Fuel Tank,Edge Evo2,VMS In Dash Nav. GVM(GVWR)Upgraded to 5,000k(LT Rated F350+).
Old Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Whopper

G'day Reg I am still doing a bit of testing with the chip at this stage. I have tried a few different combos of tunes, which is the best thing about the FU, and no doubt I will keep trying a few more till I find the ones I really like to get the truck to suit my needs.

I currently have
40 Tow
65 Tow
80 Tow
80 DD
100 Performance
120 Race

I will try all the towing tunes soon when I tow the boat up to Tin Can Bay, but I have had a bit of a play with the other tunes and I think I am leaning toward the 100 Performance for a Daily Driver.

In the 100 Performance tune the truck just seems to run real smooth and has plenty of power if I need it.

The 120 Race has all the power I will ever need and runs real smooth too but I think if I ran this tune all the time my fuel consumption would suffer.

I am pretty sure my motor has the Powered Metal Rods so I dont think I will try the 140 Extreme for fear of breaking something. Unless someone can tell me I can use it safely.

I have reburned the chip three times in two days, so I think that this FU Chip is a great idea for us living Down Under as I would have been without the chip for weeks if I had to send it back to be reburned if I wasn't happy with my choices.

Scott

Last edited by O SEA D; Thu, September 23rd, 2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old Thu, September 23rd, 2010, 06:47 AM
Double Whopper

Question

Quote:
G'day Reg I am still doing a bit of testing with the chip at this stage. I have tried a few different combos of tunes, which is the best thing about the FU, and no doubt I will keep trying a few more till I find the ones I really like to get the truck to suit my needs.

I currently have
40 Tow
65 Tow
80 Tow
80 DD
100 Performance
120 Race : Why a race tune?

I will try all the towing tunes soon when I tow the boat up to Tin Can Bay, but I have had a bit of a play with the other tunes and I think I am leaning toward the 100 Performance for a Daily Driver.

In the 100 Performance tune the truck just seems to run real smooth and has plenty of power if I need it.

The 120 Race has all the power I will ever need and runs real smooth too but I think if I ran this tune all the time my fuel consumption would suffer.

I am pretty sure my motor has the Powered Metal Rods so I dont think I will try the 140 Extreme for fear of breaking something. Unless someone can tell me I can use it safely. Agree that you have PMR and stompin' on it with a 140hp chip would not be a good idea

I have reburned the chip three times in two days, so I think that this FU Chip is a great idea for us living Down Under as I would have been without the chip for weeks if I had to send it back to be reburned if I wasn't happy with my choices. I've now gotta agree with you (and others), that getting a chip that we can tweek and burn ourselves is the way to go out here in OZ. Quote: I have reburned the chip three times Can you explain this a bit more mate? I thought we would receive a 6 Pos Reburnable Chip with tunes we requested already on it. However if we didn't like any one or any needed tweeking we would put that to PHP and Bill would email the changes for us to burn onto our chip?? Have I got all this wrong? Or is that what you have been doing already; that is getting your ordered tunes changed/tweeked?

Ok Ok ..Ok.. After asking this, I read up on the actual differences between the FU & FU2 ..Duh Duh!
I'd previously casually looked at them both and picked up on the key paragraph mentioning that if you had a 'Modified' Tranny then the FU2 was the one I need.
Sorry Fellas.
Cheers, Reg.

Also: How long did it take for you to receive your FU Package once placing the order. As I've mentioned I'm still at sea until the end of October and I'm looking to get my FU2 ordered to time it to arrive home around the same time as I get back
How much freight charge on top of the FU cost was there?

I see you have a 6 Speed manual, so I guess that is why you didn't need a stock tune?

Keep on truckin'

Cheers,
Reg.

Last edited by AussieOiler; Thu, September 23rd, 2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Duh!!! Just read up again on FU & FU2 Differences
Old Fri, September 24th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Whopper

Hello Reg I think it took about 10 days from when I placed the order till I recieved the chip and the postage was about $45.