Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Tue, May 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Bacon King

Pocket is on a distinguished road
Clap Long road test of my new tune

I've been working for a little while on a new tune that I've been wanting to try out. My goal was a tune that would make at least 325 rwhp on stock injectors that can be used as a daily driver. Another goal for the tune was to be able to tow over mountain passes without EGT's getting too high, and to have almost no smoke. I've tried towing in other race tunes before, and EGT's and smoke just haven't been manageable when climbing mountain passes, forcing me to switch to a lower HP setting. So I wanted to see if I could change that. Kind of an experiment and personal goal I have to see what I could learn.

This weekend I drove from Denver to Houston and back towing a cargo trailer. Nothing too heavy or outrageous, but a nice first test to really stretch out the legs on the truck and see what the tune is capable of. There's really only one mountain pass on the trip at the Colorado/New Mexico border (Raton pass), that has somewhere between a 6-8% grade going up. The trailer loaded down probably topped only 5000 lbs, so nothing major. However, going over the pass there was no smoke, and EGT's topped out at 1100 degrees on the steepest part of the climb.

My wife and brother-in-law were on the trip, and they also drove the truck. They liked how it drove and had no complaints about the shifting, pedal sensitivity, etc. So overall I think I've made huge strides. The truck accelerates almost like my old 140hp race tune, so it's got some power. At altitude I can hit 30 psi, and in Houston at sea-level I hit 32 psi of boost at WOT. Not bad for stock injectors and a 38R.

Mileage also was pretty good. Going down we were averaging about 85 mph, and was getting between 12-13 mpg. Coming back we had a piano in the trailer and some other delicate items, so we took it easier and drove much slower. Made it from Houston to Abilene with a 1/4 tank to spare, getting a little over 14 mpg. So towing mileage is right in line with other towing tunes for the speed and weight I'm pulling.

Overall it feels really good. The pedal is not touchy at all. I did a lot of revamping the MFD table (thanks Cody for all your help!). I've also done a lot of experimenting with the low boost fueling tables that have surprisingly worked extremely well, as well as playing with the ICP. I still have a little more tweaking to do with the ICP, the downshifting, and tweaking of the torque converter lockup points in 3rd gear. But I think the fueling on the bottom end is almost perfect. There's not much smoke at all when I hammer it from a dead stop, yet it still spools the turbo lightning quick.

I'm really happy with the progress, to have the power of a race tune, but tweaked so that it can be used as a very mild daily driver and towing tune. I even got it so that the cruise control works very well, and it's not lurching or jumping around when climbing hills. The only lurching I felt was when I hit a thunderstorm heading back between Dumas and Dalhart, TX. The wind was insane, and just to maintain 70 mph my truck was pushing 20 psi of boost driving straight into the wind. Only then I felt the cruise control get jumpy to maintain speed, so I had to kill it at that time.

Again, another big thanks to Bill and Corey. I've really enjoyed the Minotaur software and finally have my tuning customized the way I like it. Next step is to finalize the few tweaks and hit the dyno to see exactly what power it puts to the ground, and take it to the track and see what times it will run. I am stoked!!!!

Now to fix this pesky oil leak that keeps randomly popping up
Old Tue, May 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Way to go!

It's always rewarding when a plan comes together. Keep up the good work.
Old Tue, May 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Bacon King

Pocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Way to go!

It's always rewarding when a plan comes together. Keep up the good work.
Thanks Cody! It really does feel good to get this working. I'm starting to get to the point to where I don't feel like I know just enough to be dangerous behind the tuning software, but instead I'm starting to feel comfortable with it. I still have a ton to learn, and I'll keep asking questions

Forgot one other thing I've been playing with... the EOT timing advance table. I always hated how the PSD is so loud when the engine is cold. I run synthetics in my truck year round, so I figured I could drop a lot of that timing advance when the engine is cold. Man, this truck sounds like it's completely warmed up even when the temp gauge is pegged at the bottom. It dropped down into the 20's a few days before I left for Houston (yes we had snow at our house in mid May!!!). I only noticed a very very slight increase in white smoke for just a minute or two. So I'm pretty happy with how that adjustment worked out. I didn't flatten the timing down to zero across the table, because I know in the winter if I did that, I would fog out the neighborhood. Still, just a hint of white smoke is acceptable to me, and it doesn't hammer away like it normally does when it's cold. Just a nice, smooth PSD sound.

This software is addicting. I wonder what else I can mess with
Old Tue, May 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
Thanks Cody! It really does feel good to get this working. I'm starting to get to the point to where I don't feel like I know just enough to be dangerous behind the tuning software, but instead I'm starting to feel comfortable with it. I still have a ton to learn, and I'll keep asking questions

Forgot one other thing I've been playing with... the EOT timing advance table. I always hated how the PSD is so loud when the engine is cold. I run synthetics in my truck year round, so I figured I could drop a lot of that timing advance when the engine is cold. Man, this truck sounds like it's completely warmed up even when the temp gauge is pegged at the bottom. It dropped down into the 20's a few days before I left for Houston (yes we had snow at our house in mid May!!!). I only noticed a very very slight increase in white smoke for just a minute or two. So I'm pretty happy with how that adjustment worked out. I didn't flatten the timing down to zero across the table, because I know in the winter if I did that, I would fog out the neighborhood. Still, just a hint of white smoke is acceptable to me, and it doesn't hammer away like it normally does when it's cold. Just a nice, smooth PSD sound.

That's what I did during the winter since I run 5/40. You are right about the engine being as quiet cold as it is when it's hot. We got some snow back home (I say that like I'm living in Georgia now) last week....8 flippin' inches!!

Keep on truckin'!
Old Wed, May 19th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you've got a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
I know what you mean, at least it's a good addiction... I hope.