Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Tue, June 22nd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Bacon King

Pocket is on a distinguished road
Default Odd question

Does the PCM control when the fan clutch engages? If so, is there a way to turn it off in the tuning?

Thinking of this for drag racing only..... Thought maybe if there was a way to disable it, I could switch to that tune when staging, then run down the track without it kicking on. Summer track temps get pretty warm.

Just some wild idea I had.
Old Tue, June 22nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

I think for 7.3s it is thermostatically controlled, independent from any electrical connection or electrical source. The coil in the front engages the fan clutch when the coil warms up.
Old Wed, June 23rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Now if we were tunin 6 ohhs you would be in business.
Old Wed, June 23rd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Double Whopper

Shaw is on a distinguished road

Just remove it - been running that way on my work truck for almost two years, I haven't had a problem. It does suck for the A/C when your not moving tho. Your water pump will love you for it!!!
Old Wed, June 23rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Go electric! It isn't like you don't have enough battery capacity or alternator capacity.

One thing to keep in mind is also intercooler efficiency. With the fan disabled, the intercooler will be less efficient at lower RPMs.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, June 23rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Double Whopper

Shaw is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Bill on going electric, I got mine sitting in the shop just waiting to go on. Just need to find some time. Man is time hard to find.
As for the intercooler being less efficient with out the fan, Im not sure. Most of the time the fan clutch isn't locked in and it's just spinning along for the ride anyways. I would guess with the fan shroud out of the way you would gain quite a bit more air flow because of less restriction. If it is less efficient, I don't think it would be enough to feel any difference?
Old Wed, June 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

I have ran my pickup (7.3) without a fan for over 2 years with zero issues, DD, towing, whatever. I recently added it back because my block is filled and needed a little extra insurance that things wont get too hot. I did not notice any difference in fuel economy, but it felt like it had a little more ummmph without it. It is also nice because it quiets the engine noise down too.

As for the electric fan....................not a big fan.

I went through about 3 different fans on my OBS (5.0) and they each left me sitting at home because I could not run without them (living in Phoenix at the time). This left me with a sour taste, as the reliability was NOT there. I am still using electric fans on that truck without any issues but I had to pay a pretty penny for them.
Old Wed, June 23rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Bacon King

Pocket is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't sure if tuning controlled it or not, but it looks like my question was answered.

I plan on keeping the stock fan setup, and not going electric. I do tow extremely heavy from time to time. And towing loads like I tow up long mountain passes really builds up a lot of heat, especially in the summer. That fan will kick on big time when I'm fully loaded, and I just like the reliability of the stock fan setup.

But thanks again everyone for the input. I appreciate it.