Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Mon, December 6th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough
Default XR100R rebuild

Got ahold of a 1986 XR100 and have been slowly rebuilding it as money allows. The pics on this post were taken over the course of a month.

Here is how it looked when I first brought it home.

I couldn't stand that front fender because it was warped sideways really bad so it was one of the first things I took off. Also found a gas tank for $20 at a local shop. Not intended for this bike but it works.

Painted the handlebars and cleaned up the front forks.

Had to build a temporary stator cover so I wouldn't get a stick in it while testing the bike out for a weekend of riding.

Made a new one yesterday that is going to look sick after I paint it.

Then finally decided to take apart the engine to see if the rings were bad. They weren't too bad but the engine cylinder was not in very good shape.

While the engine was out I did some repainting.

Honed the cylinder

The big rough patch you can see at the bottom of the cylinder is fine because it is below the rings.

Today I'll see if I can't fix an issue that came up yesterday with the cam chain jumping timing that showed up after rebuilding the engine. From here progress is going to be slowing down because replacement parts for the engine are expensive.
Old Mon, December 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Looks like a lot of fun!
For a few months I tore apart all kinds of old bikes like this, street and dirt, then the company I worked for sold the parts on ebay. It was a lot of fun and I wouldnt be surprised if i have taken apart a bike just like yours! Good luck, and not that I can help much, but any questions feel free to ask.
Old Mon, December 6th, 2010, 10:22 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Kewl!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, December 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

That thing got a hemi?
Old Mon, December 6th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Forum Predator

Right now I'm having some trouble with valve clearances. Luckily I might know how to fix it. I kept thinking the cam was jumping the timing (which it might still be by a link or two) because every time the engine seized the piston was up and the valves were down. That was before I remembered that there are two crank rotations for every single cam rotation. But the problem remains that the valves are now hitting and they weren't before I took the thing apart. I'm going to raise them up so they dont get bent and work them back down as I need. I can't afford a new set of valves ($100, half the value of the bike).
Old Mon, December 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Yeah when I tried doing what you are, it was on a 1972 honda cb175, and I couldnt get the valves to do what they were supposed to do until I had a friend of my dad's look at it, he worked at a honda shop, and the bike was a little old for what they usually worked on, but they got it running... ran lean and melted a piston while going down the freeway, but it ran for a few weeks! haha!
Old Mon, December 6th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Forum Predator

Ok, got the valves adjusted beautifully. Now I just have to get it to crank for me. Then I can go back to smoking out the neighbors.