Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, April 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Whopper Junior

Tavman is on a distinguished road
Help Questions for diagnosis

Hey
So I got my programmer on Friday and love it. But I am trying to figure out my previous power lose in my truck. To desribe the power lose that i am having goes like this. I have plenty of power between all RPM range but when it geting into the higher 3500 and above it feels like something is holding my truck back. This happens in all gears. I have been trying to figure it out since I bought the truck.

What I have: 04 with a 5.4L, gotts mod, magna flow exhaust (3'' high flow cats going into a single 3'' inlet into a magna flow muffler with dual 2.5'' side dump just before the passanger rear tire) and my new addition the grypon programmer(custom tunes coming soon)

On my display i have rmp, cam timing, speed and spark advancement
My concern is my cam timing is that it seems to be advancing but at the wrong time because in all gears it max's its advancement it 1500-1700 rpm at 53 and then anything above that it returns to 1..... My spark advancement seems to be working fine and slowly advance through the RPM range.

My thought is that my VCT solenoid is not working properly and I have replaced my cam phasers, reflashed my pcm before getting my programmer.

Would anyone be able to telling my what their cam timing is reading through the rpm range???? OR is there a section on the forum here where it tells you where all your ranges should be for our trucks???
Oh and sorry for the fricken novel but I have been dealing with this for a year now and its driving me up the wall to try and figure it out why my truck is so gutless. Thanks for the help.
Old Tue, April 12th, 2011, 10:23 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Power loss under load at higher RPM is usually attributed to a couple of things:

Insufficient fuel quantity.
Insufficient exhaust flow.
Misfiring cylinders.
Airflow restriction.

Programming also plays a part in it, but since you're now running the programmer, the torque reduction per RPM should be nullified.
Old Tue, April 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think Cody's nailed it.

Several years ago, my neighbor's normally aspirated car developed similar symptoms. I found his fuel filter was clogged. You don't say anything about your fuel filter - have you checked it?

And, I have a chain saw that rather suddenly would not operate at high RPMs. It did fine at idle and at lower speed. I discovered the spark arrestor in the exhaust was clogged, so I just removed it.

My guess is, your exhaust is fine, but I'd sure try eliminating the "easy" causes before looking at the complicated ones.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, April 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Whopper Junior

Its not the air flow restriction because i have a brand new air filter with the gott mod into the fender well, new fuel filter and i have run countless fuel system cleaners through it for the last 5 fill ups, miss fire should give me a code but i am not getting any check engine lights, as for the issuficent fuel i am not sure i will check back to you on what its telling me my fuel pressure is.
I do know that my fuel injectors are noisy so they may just be getting tired because at ideal it does seem to feel like it is missing but no check engine light comes on.
Thanks again for the help I am just sick of this problem.
Old Thu, April 14th, 2011, 08:51 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Have you?

Cleaned the tb....
Cleaned the maf....

It could also be a sign of needing new plugs or cops.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, April 14th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Whopper Junior

TB and MAF have been cleaned in the last 3 weeks.
Plugs were done about 50K kms ago. Idid them for the previous owner with out breaking one!! Also not knowing about the issue at that time (shear luck i guess)
also my fuel rail pressure is about 40
Old Thu, April 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

40 under load or 40 sitting at idle?