Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Whopper

krist003 is on a distinguished road
Default Downloading custom tunes?

My custom tunes are available and i can't wait to get them downloaded. The manual says to update your custom tunes for the Gryphon, plug it in to the computer, download the tunes, then just plug it back in to your truck.

My question is, do I need to do any update or special start procedure before i start my truck (like when installing the Gryphon for the 1st time)? Or do you really just plug it back in and start the truck and use it? I could not get a clear answer searching the site and forum.

Also, it is okay to unplug the gryphon at any time right? The tunes will still remain, but you just lose the interface/display right?

Thanks all!
Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 06:14 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by krist003 View Post
My custom tunes are available and i can't wait to get them downloaded. The manual says to update your custom tunes for the Gryphon, plug it in to the computer, download the tunes, then just plug it back in to your truck.

My question is, do I need to do any update or special start procedure before i start my truck (like when installing the Gryphon for the 1st time)? Or do you really just plug it back in and start the truck and use it? I could not get a clear answer searching the site and forum.

Also, it is okay to unplug the gryphon at any time right? The tunes will still remain, but you just lose the interface/display right?

Thanks all!
You're really asking two questions here.

First: I think you have the monochrome Gryphon? But regardless, SET YOUR TUNE BACK TO STOCK ON THE TRUCK BEFORE YOU DISCONNECT THE PROGRAMMER!

Then, with the tune back to stock, bring your Gryphon to your PC and with Pegasus running (monochrome Gryphon) or Fusion running (CS/CTS Gryphon) plug it in to the PC.

A monochrome Gryphon screen will change from red to green when it connects. Then, click on [Updates]->[Custom File Download] for the monochrome Gryphon and sit back and wait. When the download finishes, you can simply disconnect the Gryphon, take it back to your truck, turn the ignition key to ON and plug the Gryphon in. You'll see a new "splash screen" once you get past the hex code page.

With the CS/CTS, Fusion does all the work as soon as you plug it in. Disconnect it when the update finishes and plug it into your truck. The ignition does not have to be ON.

As I recall, BOTH units can have kind of confusing directions at the end when still plugged into the PC. Just ignore those and unplug the programmer when the update is finished.

Now, your second question: Once you load a tune into the PCM, the programmer does NOT have to remain installed. The ONLY way you will lose the tune is if you change it with a programmer! Removing the battery will have no effect on the stored tune, and the programmer does not have to be installed for the tune to work properly. The programmer "remembers" the tune you loaded into the PCM too, even if it is disconnected.

Hope this all makes sense.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Whopper

krist003 is on a distinguished road

Makes perfect sense. Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.
Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, Jack!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, March 29th, 2011, 09:26 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You're both very welcome - it's what I'm here for. Hope you enjoy your tunes as much as I do, Krist!

- Jack
Old Mon, April 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Whopper

Westcoast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
You're really asking two questions here.

A monochrome Gryphon screen will change from red to green when it connects. Then, click on [Updates]->[Custom File Download] for the monochrome Gryphon and sit back and wait. When the download finishes, you can simply disconnect the Gryphon, take it back to your truck, turn the ignition key to ON and plug the Gryphon in. You'll see a new "splash screen" once you get past the hex code page.

- Jack
Just to add to this...and to save someone a phone call to Bill...Some of the older Pegasus software has the TARGTED FUNCTIONS option instead of the CUSTOM FILE DOWNLOAD in the update section. Same thing just different wording.
Old Mon, April 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast View Post
Just to add to this...and to save someone a phone call to Bill...Some of the older Pegasus software has the TARGTED FUNCTIONS option instead of the CUSTOM FILE DOWNLOAD in the update section. Same thing just different wording.
Right! Please notice that Pegasus will check for updates to itself anytime you start it up. DO let it update itself! These updates have been made to correct some significant problems in the user interface.

- Jack
Old Mon, April 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

Just a note.....I've recently ran my Pegasus and I still have the "targeted function" option. The program hasn't performed any "self updates". Should I do a manual update. I keep being told that if I do an "update all", I will lose my custom tunes.....but if I did, can't I just go back to "targeted functions" to restore the custom tunes? I'm only interjecting here becuase it's relative to my current situation. I just had my 87 perf tune updated in the attempt to eliminate a performance issue.
Old Tue, April 26th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

From what I can tell you are correct. update pegasus, update the firmware on the Gryphon, then use the targeted files function, or whatever it's name changes to, to upload the custom tunes. Bill keeps those on the servers for at least a year, and usually longer from what I understand.
Enjoy the tunes!
Old Tue, April 26th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
From what I can tell you are correct. update pegasus, update the firmware on the Gryphon, then use the targeted files function, or whatever it's name changes to, to upload the custom tunes. Bill keeps those on the servers for at least a year, and usually longer from what I understand.
Enjoy the tunes!
That's what I thought but I've been given contradicting advice....i.e. I've been told that I will wipe them out and that's it.