Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, April 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Whopper

convertedman is on a distinguished road
Default Bought a Gryphon

OK, So I just bought a gryphon second hand. I picked it up from a guy in the Gwinnett area. He bought it at the end of last year from Bill at their shop and had to sell the truck and now I have it.

The problem: While talking to him this afternoon, he informs me that when he sold the truck to the dealer they whiped the board and he had already removed the gryphon. He also didn't set the truck back to stock. I tried to call today before I left meeting with him but it was 3:45 PHP was closed.

Now to the meat: what to do now? He gave me the disk, the pod and even his receipt from PHP.

I know from reading on here that he should have returned it to stock but he said that he didn't know to do that.
Thanks for reading my long winded story.
Old Mon, April 4th, 2011, 07:23 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by convertedman View Post
OK, So I just bought a gryphon second hand. I picked it up from a guy in the Gwinnett area. He bought it at the end of last year from Bill at their shop and had to sell the truck and now I have it.

The problem: While talking to him this afternoon, he informs me that when he sold the truck to the dealer they whiped the board and he had already removed the gryphon. He also didn't set the truck back to stock. I tried to call today before I left meeting with him but it was 3:45 PHP was closed.

Now to the meat: what to do now? He gave me the disk, the pod and even his receipt from PHP.

I know from reading on here that he should have returned it to stock but he said that he didn't know to do that.
Thanks for reading my long winded story.
You are going to have to have Bill at PHP "unlock" it. I believe there is a $75.00 unlock fee. The need to return the Gryphon to a "stock" state before removing it from the truck has been all over this board and others. I think the guy you bought it from owes you $75.00, and I'd ask him for it.

As things stand, you have a "doorstop". DO NOT connect it to your truck or to the PC without talking to PHP.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, April 4th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Whopper

Thanks Jack. Yeah I have read some on this in here and f150online. I knew you would get back to me. I will try to call Bill tomorrow. I bought this thing from a guy that lives near PHP. With the profession he is in I don't think he would try to pull one over on me, but maybe thats just me trying to believe in the good. For 150.00 I'm sure I can make something happen.

Thanks again.
Old Thu, April 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Whopper

Yesterday, I called the guy that I bought the gryphon from and mentioned that he should have returned it back to stock when he sold the truck. This was his response. So, with that being said. I went to PHP yesterday and Bill unlocked my Doorstop and turned it into a gryphon!
It was a very good experience. Bill and Cody seem like really good people. Last night I set everything up and put it on level 2. WOW! what a difference.
Old Thu, April 7th, 2011, 11:28 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm sorry you had that experience with the guy who sold you the unit. I would like to think people would be more responsible.

But, now you see why some of us have such a high opinion of the people at PHP!

- Jack
Old Thu, April 7th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Whopper

Jack, I am going to post this on f150online aswell but wanted to get your opinion and anyone else that wants to chime in.
One of the main reasons that I got this programmer was the fact that my tranny was slipping. At about 30mph or so foot off the pedal coasting, I would give gas to pick up with traffic or start back up a hill, the engine would idle up as if it was in neutral and then drop into gear. This seems to have been taken care of with the tuner and the canned tunes on it. Last night when I was trying out my new toy I noticed that problem was gone. After I made the turn and started heading back to the house I throttled it pretty hard and was holding thru the gears. I believe going into 3rd it slipped, idled up then dropped into gear.

I am thinking this might be an issue with the tranny still since this happened.
Any thoughts would be appericiated.
Old Thu, April 7th, 2011, 01:02 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by convertedman View Post
Jack, I am going to post this on f150online aswell but wanted to get your opinion and anyone else that wants to chime in.
One of the main reasons that I got this programmer was the fact that my tranny was slipping. At about 30mph or so foot off the pedal coasting, I would give gas to pick up with traffic or start back up a hill, the engine would idle up as if it was in neutral and then drop into gear. This seems to have been taken care of with the tuner and the canned tunes on it. Last night when I was trying out my new toy I noticed that problem was gone. After I made the turn and started heading back to the house I throttled it pretty hard and was holding thru the gears. I believe going into 3rd it slipped, idled up then dropped into gear.

I am thinking this might be an issue with the tranny still since this happened.
Any thoughts would be appericiated.
There COULD be a problem in your transmission. One of the things that a tune does is to reduce the time lag between clutch engagement and release during shifts. The tune also increases line pressure and reduces the torque reduction "dive" that Ford engineers into things.

So, you COULD have excessive belt slip which may be a sign of worn belts. But, you might also try increasing the shift "firmness" a bit. I wouldn't make a huge change here though. Since the slip was only felt 3-4, try changing that to a +3 setting?

You have not said how old your truck is, and I don't know how long it's been since you've had the transmission serviced. I'm not sensing that your driving style is particularly "aggressive" though. And, I'm sensing that normal, part throttle shifts feel fine?

- Jack
Old Thu, April 7th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Whopper

I'll change to a +3 and let you know. As for the age it is an 07 5.4 XLT 98,000 miles and your right about my driving. Not real aggressive.

Just curious, If I was going to have the transmission rebuilt, maybe stronger kit in it, I would have to have Bill change the tunes?
Also, I had the tranny serviced about 2months ago. This was the first thing I thought of when it started slipping. I am doing some work at a high school
now and they have a auto shop. The whole thing only cost me 50 bucks due to it being considered training.

Last edited by convertedman; Thu, April 7th, 2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old Thu, April 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

As long as the pcm does not get reflash with a different calibration Bill should not have to rewrite your tunes.....

But.....here's the catch.

If you rebuild the tranny and put in a performance valve body and find the shifts to be too harsh then Bill will/ should make adjustments......

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, April 29th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Whopper

YEAH! After the buy and spending the money to have the doorstop unlocked. I ordered and received my new tunes. Very happy!

On a different note: I am now running 87 performance. I got used to the canned tow tune as far as the shifting. Also I did notice yesterday that I did have a little slip from 2 to 3. I know that I might have an issue with my tranny but didn't have any slipping on the canned tow tune. What should I change the shift firmness to with the performance tune to get that solid shift feel again and would have any negative affects on my tranny??
Thanks