Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, April 7th, 2011, 11:56 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood4heat View Post
Holy cow how much power does the Gryphon require to reprogram? You guys all have F-150's? I ask because I'm planning on getting a Gryphon for a 7.3 diesel and wonder if having two batteries would alleviate some of the problems.

Any chance constant reprogramming could cause permanent harm to the ecm? I plan to change back and forth from daily driver to tow tunes quite a bit.
Tico has again given you correct advice. The EPROM in the ECM needs 18 Volts as a signal to accept a new program (in the gas engines - I suspect the diesels are the same). That voltage is produced in the programmer by converting battery voltage. If the battery voltage is low, the converted voltage will also be low and if it drops below a critical value DURING the programming, you could get a corrupted write. That can disable your truck.

This is why I ALWAYS recommend changing the program at home (where you won't be "stranded", and have access to a PC), with a nice, warm fully charged battery.

Having two batteries really doesn't help you. Yours are wired in parallel, to provide the Amperage needed to turn your starter against the compression of your big engine. If the voltage output in one drops, they both drop.

The EPROM in the ECM is good for many thousands of write cycles. It's a whole lot like a "thumb drive", or a flash card in a camera. Yes, there IS a limit, but you'll probably die of old age before reaching it.

I found that my truck has an OEM "parasitic" draw on the battery of 0.05 Amps when it's sitting. The older monochrome Gryphon has an additional 0.05 Amps draw for it's "keep-alive" memory. I don't know what the newer CS/CTS platforms pull - I actually suspect it's less.

So, a total draw of 0.1 Amps doesn't sound like much, but in 24 hours, it uses 2.4 Amps and in just under 21 days, a single battery is "dead" (over 50 Amps lost and a no-load voltage of around 11.5 Volts or less). Two batteries will last twice as long of course, but the voltage is still dropping every day that the truck sits. Cold weather exaggerates this problem.

If you use your truck most every day and are alert to the signs of a weak battery, you should not have any problems. If the truck sits, like mine does, I strongly recommend a Battery Tender. This will add to the longevity of the battery too.

- Jack
Old Thu, April 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I do what I can
And you did some good advice too, I didnt even think about the parallel or series configuration of the batteries in a diesel.
That draw also seems right, my truck is always harder to start after sitting for a week or more... Thanks
Old Thu, April 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Bacon King

str088 is on a distinguished road

I guess I'll be good then, my truck has never come across any battery problems. I guess
before I do any programming I'll just drive for a bit.

Tags
cai, gains, gryphon php, intake, muffles