Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, April 11th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Whopper

kmgordo99 is on a distinguished road
Default Need Some Help

Hey everybody,

I'm having a few problems, for lack of a better word, with my Gryphon. I have a '04 F150 with a 4.6. No mods and no custom tunes. Truck has 58,xxx miles on it. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about PHP, whether it be their products or their customer service, but I need to figure out a few things that seem to be going on with my truck.

1.) I bought the programmer back in December, and have been running the canned 93 performance tune with 93 octane that has no ethanol added. I have been getting 15.6 mpg overall from the time I put the programmer in to... this morning. Put about 1700 miles on 50/50 highway and in town with the 93 performance and 93 octane. I didn't think it was that great so I returned to stock today. I drove 6 miles each way to work today, and got 19.4 mpg in town with heavy traffic and many stop lights. I'm due to clean the intake, TB, and sensor. Also need to replace the front o2 sensors. Is there something else that could be going on that would put me down so much?

2.) Seem to be having some pretty good shifting problems. When I'm doing about 30mph and let off the gas for a minute, when I go to hit it again it down shifts really hard. I drove a 5-speed for 6 years before getting into an automatic, so I thought that maybe I just wasn't used to automatic shifting. Returned to stock today and couldn't get it to buck no matter what I did.

3.) This may just be me being weird, but my motor sounds the exact same no matter how hard I'm hitting it. If I'm doing 30 it sounds the same as when I'm pump it to get around someone on the highway.

I'm not trying to complain or downgrade my Gryphon at all. Just looking for some help and suggestions

Thanks for reading my short novel
Old Mon, April 11th, 2011, 10:34 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Any dtc codes?

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, April 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Whopper

Default Re: Need Some Help

No sir. Never had anything come up.
Old Mon, April 11th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Considering there aren't any DTCs...

1) Are you using the average mpg PID?

2) You can soften the shifts but please read the manual and have a firm understanding of what the change does to create the softened feel.

3) How are the RPMs? If you have the quiet stock exhaust and they are within a few hundred the sounds will be very similar. I know my truck sounded similar for any rpm comparison within about 500 just because of how quiet it was.
Old Mon, April 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Considering there aren't any DTCs...

1) Are you using the average mpg PID?

2) You can soften the shifts but please read the manual and have a firm understanding of what the change does to create the softened feel.

3) How are the RPMs? If you have the quiet stock exhaust and they are within a few hundred the sounds will be very similar. I know my truck sounded similar for any rpm comparison within about 500 just because of how quiet it was.
The MPG on the programmer is 1.2 less than what I get when I average them myself.

I will definitely do some reading tomorrow. Just scares me because when it happens it feels just like when you are driving stick and you accidently put it into 3rd when trying to get into 5th. Dont have that problem at all without the gryphon.

With the noise, stock exhaust and same concern as above. Doesn't sound like the same truck without the programmer. Can clearly hear it climbing and going through gears when at stock.
Old Mon, April 11th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Forum Predator

Ok, as long as you know that that the Avg MPG is not very accurate. Also, a 12 mile drive is not going to give even a remotely accurate average.

Is it the RPM jump that you dont like or the jolt when it downshifts?

Sound: Is there a comparable acceleration example? For example, if tuned at 3500 rpm is sounds like stock at 4500 rpm. Or is it that you CAN hear it stock but CAN'T hear it programmed?

Kinda tricky when I'm not sitting there to listen to it.
Old Mon, April 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Ok, as long as you know that that the Avg MPG is not very accurate. Also, a 12 mile drive is not going to give even a remotely accurate average.

Is it the RPM jump that you dont like or the jolt when it downshifts?

Sound: Is there a comparable acceleration example? For example, if tuned at 3500 rpm is sounds like stock at 4500 rpm. Or is it that you CAN hear it stock but CAN'T hear it programmed?

Kinda tricky when I'm not sitting there to listen to it.
The jolt. It slams into the lower gear. Hard to believe I'm not grinding something when it happens.

Haha, its so hard to explain noises by text... plus, I sound like an idiot just bringing it up. We'll chalk that one up as me looking into it too much.
Old Tue, April 12th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Forum Predator

Yeah, try softening the shifts by making very gradual changes.

Not all trucks react the same to tuning, that can be seen all over this forum. There are countless threads about other problems people have had.
Old Sun, April 17th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Whopper

Have the shift firmness adjusted to -2, -3, and -2. Feels absolutely amazing now. Going to run a few more tanks of gas and see what happens, if anything, with my gas mileage.
Old Mon, April 18th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Forum Predator

Good deal