Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
trapped in the city

bikerfuzz is on a distinguished road
Help mileage difference

So maybe I can get help on this. Im shure Its been posted. I am very happy with my gryphon so far. But as of late it seem like the /87 performance program I got does not seem to be cutting it. Flat spot in accelerator, and seems to go into overdrive alot more.and the gas mileage never went above 13 in the city! ... but maybe its me!. I dont know.. So I tried the regular 87 tow .. and wow what a difference!! ????? got a better responce and I am already up in m.p.g's . I went from 23.4 average m.p.g to 13.4 mpg's... could i be wrong? can the stock tube be better than the custom one I bought..... Moderators?? Bill? Corey? JnJ/? what you think
Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

There are a few things that could be causing this, dirty sensors, dirty filters, dirty throttle body, dirty MAF, or a bad tune. :/
Firstly did the tune ever perform right? as in did you ever see what you are seeing out of the canned tune with the performance tune loaded? If it did then I would bet it is one of the sensors or throttle body that needs to be cleaned, if it never did that good, then I would guess that it is a problem with the tune itself, which Bill can and will fix for free (to the best of my understanding).
Your answer to the above question should determine your best course of action, and even if it is just a bad tune, it can't hurt to clean out your engine parts . hope this helps.
Old Sat, April 23rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
trapped in the city

well she worked great when I first put it in. I did notice a big difference.Having said that I will try cleaning the throttle body, and m.a.f.s. and re check.when it goes in for the 100k im gonna change out the o2 sensor and fuel filter, That will be in about a month. Just seems to be such a change. BUT Ill LET YOU KNOW. Thanks.
bobby
Old Sat, April 23rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Grown-up in training!

That sounds like a good plan , Good luck and i hope it fixed your problem
Old Sat, April 23rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
trapped in the city

Thank you sir!! I will I promise let you know
Old Sun, April 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

So you got 23 mpg city with the tow tune while the performance tune got 13 under the same or similar conditions on paper?

If cleaning everything doesn't help then you might try changing back to stock for a few days then switching back to the performance tune.
Old Sun, April 24th, 2011, 07:33 PM
trapped in the city

well That should actually read 12 mpg. But yea . Yesterday i did a r/t of 75 miles each way about average speed of 65 and got 19mpg. in the stock tow program. But the change from the custom 87 to the stock tow 87 got me almost 2mpg's more!!.So now i show 15m.p.g's average around the city. up from 12-13. and better throttle response. may be it compensates for something?
Old Mon, April 25th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Grown-up in training!

just a question for ya, what are you using to calculate mileage? because the gryphon for me is usually a few mpg's higher than what I actually get. since it is a calculation derived from the MAF and O2 sensors, it can't be 100% accurate. I usually try and calculate it by hand to see if there are any reasonable changes in mileage, but that's just me.
Old Tue, April 26th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Whopper

shadowrider is on a distinguished road

My gas mileage was horrible on the 87 octane tow tune compared to the 93 octane performance tune. I actually save money by running the 93 tune.
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

I too noticed better acceleration when I switched off my performance tune to my canned 87 tow tune. Interesting....I may need to look into this more.