Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, May 11th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Whopper

stlhrse is on a distinguished road
Default more sputtering

I read the other threads on this issue. Mine is an 05 FX4, and it mainly does it at part throttle cruising whether on the highway or on city streets. I also have tried going back to the stock tune, and the problem goes away. There cannot possibly be anything wrong with my truck if the problem goes away with the stock tune. Also, my converter lock up is lock out until around 80 mph so I know it's not that. It feels almost like a dead miss or not getting enough fuel because the truck just noses over and sputters. If I let off and get back in it, it's ok, but it's incredibly annoying. I've tried a few times to call, but can't seem to catch anyone during phone support hours. I'm fully aware that they are busy, but ......

I'm starting to get a little irritated because I asked for an update to my 87 performance custom tune about a month after I got it, and waited almost two months to get the updated tune. Again, I know they're busy, but may be a good time to hire additional staff to support the amount of business they have. I assume I could go back to the edge canned tunes, but I paid extra for the gryphon, plus the cost of the tunes, and I want a product that is much better than the canned tunes, not just slightly better or about the same, but different. I would like Bill or someone to help me work this out so I can be happy that I spent the extra money to get a gryphon.
Old Wed, May 11th, 2011, 02:59 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'll try to draw their attention to this. Meanwhile, could you please complete ALL the information in your User Profile? This will help them tremendously when they try to adjust your tune(s).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, May 12th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

Try catching Cody on the chat support. I've had success that way.

Good luck with your issue. My truck just plain doesn't like the performance tune; I had the same issue you do. I've permanently switched back to the canned tow tune, and I'm completely happy with that. Still love the Gryphon. IMO the gains b/w the 87 canned tow and an 87 custom performance are VERY minimal. I actually think I noticed more power when I switched back, but that was becuase the performance tune had been compromised and tweaked over and over again in the attempt to eliminate the sputtering issue.

Either way, they will work with you until you're happy. Good luck.
Old Thu, May 12th, 2011, 09:15 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

The 87 Performance tune has been reloaded to Pegasus. Return the truck to stock and connect to Pegasus.

You're getting awful close to stock in your timing curves......it may be time to check and see if you need plugs or coils because the increased cylinder pressures with the advanced timing puts more of an electrical "strain" on those systems.
Old Thu, May 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Whopper

Thats the thing though. Since there are no data logs or check engine lights, why are you lowering my timing curves closer to stock. I just changed my plugs and this problem was here before and after the plugs, and no CEL before or after. I was under the impression when I paid extra for the gryphon, that I would get a tune that was much more agressive with timing than the edge canned tunes were, at least as much as possible on 87 gas. I would like to have the transmission strategy exactly like the 87 performance edge canned tune, and more timing than the edge canned tune. I loved the way the transmission shifted with the canned 87 performance canned tune. I just wanted the timing curves to be a little more aggressive and the other standard items like rear O2 sensors turned off and speedo corrected, etc. When I got it, my converter was going in and out, so I had you lock that out until a certain speed, but now its killing what little gas mileage I had. I paid the extra money for the gryphon, above the edge, because I wanted a tune that did everything the edge tune did, and more. I don't know what to do next. I'd like someone to call me so I can explain exactly what I'm looking for.

Doug
Old Thu, May 12th, 2011, 01:26 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlhrse View Post
why are you lowering my timing curves closer to stock. If you're experiencing a "dead miss" as you stated earlier, there is nothing in the tuning affecting individual cylinders. I am simply trying to accomplish what Bill has found out about the "sputtering" problem with other trucks in the recent past.

I would like to have the transmission strategy exactly like the 87 performance edge canned tune, and more timing than the edge canned tune.
I loved the way the transmission shifted with the canned 87 performance canned tune.Edge does not offer an 87 Performance tune. I assume you mean the 87 Tow tune (level 2).

I just wanted the timing curves to be a little more aggressive and the other standard items like rear O2 sensors turned off and speedo corrected, etc. Which I assume have not given you any problems.

When I got it, my converter was going in and out, so I had you lock that out until a certain speed, but now its killing what little gas mileage I had. Which is why "lock-up" torque converters are used. To increase fuel efficiency by transmitting all of the engine power to the transmission. I assume your transmission temps are a bit higher too now. I simply did what you asked for in that regard.

I paid the extra money for the gryphon, above the edge, because I wanted a tune that did everything the edge tune did, and more. I don't know what to do next. I'd like someone to call me so I can explain exactly what I'm looking for.

Doug

I'm making you a brand new program as soon as I finish typing this. It will be based on the canned Edge 87 Tow program with your necessary modifications made for your truck. Let me know how it works. I will post here when it's finished.
Old Thu, May 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Whopper

I realize you did what I asked you to do as far as the converter lock up. I'm just frustrated because I liked the edge canned tune, and I thought wow the gryphon is gonna be better than this? Awesome! Then it wasn't. By the way, I could've sworn mine had three tunes when I recieved it, just like the gryphon. (87 perf, 87 tow & 91 performance) My only concern with using the tow tune, and you might be able to correct it, but Bill was telling me one time that the tow tune had more fuel in it to keep cylinder temps down. When I tried the PHP tow tune, my gas mileage was totally in the toilet. Also, I would like the shifts to be much firmer than the edge tune. Will that have any effect on the rest of the transmission strategy? I hope not. I appreciate the quick responses.
Old Thu, May 12th, 2011, 02:01 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I'm not sure how my last post came across. Talking on the phone and thinking/typing is not a strong suit of mine so it may or may not have been misconstrued as condescending. It wasn't meant to be that way.

Bill will always claim that he is far from perfect and that there is rarely a one-size-fits-all solution to everyone's needs. I am no different (maybe even moreso because I understand how it feels to be in that gray area where things are just "not right") and I'll be the first to admit that I am good at one thing and that is making mistakes.

Obviously, your truck hates our programming as it is. At this point we will have to make special concessions for the truck to get the tunes right (as they are ALL different and react differently to changes).

I can change the stock programming to account for what you've asked for. We will try it. If something isn't working right I will make the time to fix it.
Old Thu, May 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Oh, and the stock Edge and Gryphon come with a transmission only, 87 Tow, and 93 Performance tune.
Old Thu, May 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Oh, and the stock Edge and Gryphon come with a transmission only, 87 Tow, and 93 Performance tune.

yep I remember now. You are correct

Does the 87 tow use the same fat fuel tables as your 87 tow tune? If so, is it possible to trim those down to the 87 performance level?
I appreciate the quick responses

Doug