Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, July 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Bacon King

DarrenWS6 is on a distinguished road
Default Traded in '04, have '07 Lariat, swapping Gryphon to new truck questions.

Hello there folks, I've been a stray the past few months, well big stuff has happened. Part of that big stuff is I traded in my old '04 XLT Supercab for a '07 Supercrew Lariat. Kept the wheels/tires and Gryphon. Of coarse returned the 04 to stock. I want to add it to the '07 but have some questions.

Firstly, what all will I need to do to get it changed over for the new truck in a '87 tune? Send in an application stating what I want? I already have the old programmer and all. Hex and Serial # available of coarse.

Second, Should I do the minor performance modifications first? I am only planning a DWV intake mod and chopping the OEM Y pipe for a Magnaflow #10778 Y pipe which basically eliminates the restriction of the OEM pipe, and to run a single 3" pipe to a 3" Borla muffler and 2.5" tailpipes.

I also plan to add on the 33"x12.5"/20 Mud Terrains I had on the old truck to this one but am kind of scared to for the rear end and transmissions sakes. The gears are 3.73 open, not LSD unfortunately, old truck was 3.73 LSD. Will it move fine? I also feel that aside of my 'hot doggin driving' as seen in some of my Youtube videos.. ( ) that the transmission in my old truck developed a minor slip. I don't plan to whoop on this truck and it has barely ever towed so I am hoping that the trans in this truck will handle 33s on 3.73s fine? I had heard that the 04/05 3v 5.4Ls were mated to a 'weaker' transmission than what is in the '06/'08 trucks, is this accurate? I am hoping so. Stock to stock, this 2007 Lariat seems A LOT quicker, actually very much, than how my 2004 felt, and almost equivalent to how smooth and quick it moved tuned on 33s. I have about figured out what I want in a tune for this one so I hope it will work.

Advice for all of my question areas? Greatly appreciated.

Also, are the tune return times about the same as they were in '09/'10? ( 1 month or so? )

And also how about adding an update for a modification, say I do exhaust and order the tune, 5 months later I do the DWV mod, will it cost me the price of a tune to update my file?

And a couple pics of my new truck.

Trade in day.

Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Nice looking ride

All of the mods you listed can be done before or after your custom tune, they really aren't tune dependent .....

Here's the order form ....just list anything and everything.....no different than from before....>>>https://fs21.formsite.com/Power_Hung...m45/index.html

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Nice looking ride

All of the mods you listed can be done before or after your custom tune, they really aren't tune dependent .....

Here's the order form ....just list anything and everything.....no different than from before....>>>https://fs21.formsite.com/Power_Hung...m45/index.html
Thank you. So the DWV increasing the intake inlet to 3" isn't a tune necessary change? Is that because the MAF is not altered?
Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
Thank you. So the DWV increasing the intake inlet to 3" isn't a tune necessary change? Is that because the MAF is not altered?
Right.....you keep the stock air box....so the transfer location remains the same

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And, as long as you've restored the canned tunes to the Gryphon, [Updates]->[Gryphon Update Manager] in Pegasus (update both the firmware and calibrations) you can use the Gryphon in your new truck right away.

I'd recommend the Level 2 tune.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
And, as long as you've restored the canned tunes to the Gryphon, [Updates]->[Gryphon Update Manager] in Pegasus (update both the firmware and calibrations) you can use the Gryphon in your new truck right away.

I'd recommend the Level 2 tune.

- Jack
Okay, so that is basically how I "clear" the old file? And it will be canned and ready for the new truck, well thats good, i'll give it a try in a few minutes.

So the Level 2 tow tune will be safe for daily driving? Mostly is a canned tune for more low end energy correct me if I'm wrong?
Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Okay, so that is basically how I "clear" the old file? And it will be canned and ready for the new truck, well thats good, i'll give it a try in a few minutes.

So the Level 2 tow tune will be safe for daily driving? Mostly is a canned tune for more low end energy correct me if I'm wrong?
First download and up date version of Pegasus (if you haven't already done that). It can be found on the PHP website.

Then you go to the Gryphon Update Manager and follow those steps.

Level 2 is probably the safest if you keep your foot light. Rather than just thinking it is "boosting low end" it fuels a bit richer, good for generating torque in the lower rpms. You are completely correct, I just figured it'd be better to understand why. Any more detail and you'd have to ask Cody or Bill, they actually mess with that stuff.
Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
First download and up date version of Pegasus (if you haven't already done that). It can be found on the PHP website.

Then you go to the Gryphon Update Manager and follow those steps.

Level 2 is probably the safest if you keep your foot light. Rather than just thinking it is "boosting low end" it fuels a bit richer, good for generating torque in the lower rpms. You are completely correct, I just figured it'd be better to understand why. Any more detail and you'd have to ask Cody or Bill, they actually mess with that stuff.
Thanks. I actually make it a religious matter to check for Pegasus updated versions monthly. Since I haven't frequented here a whole lot I do make it a habit to keep updating in the scenario I need to remove the programmer form the truck, which was only a total of 3 or 4 times in the 2yrs I ran it in the '04.

I set it up in the Lariat tonight. Some odd reason I think it fit the trim of the XLT better, but the silver paint matches the Lariat trim at least, that bugged me just on the XLT grey but was much too subordinate to ever alter and the 20% tint helped shade it darker anyways.

Well by guestimate mathematics, the richer fuel will help low end get the weight moving but should not be a full blown out race up to high rpms for the sakes of running rich? As I noted in the origin post I do not want to be any bit concerned of my trucks safety, some good economy numbers for my random elevation areas and the ability to quickly pass when need be, and of most importance the health of the transmission. What ever it takes to make it last and not suffer from 33s. This is a bit of what I will need to explain when sending for a custom file.

I recall when I ran the trans only level 1 on the old truck not a thing felt different. Later when I filled up with 93 and set the level 3 timing to 1.5 wow did it sound very beastly on the start and drove excellent. Whenever I wanted it to move fast it went, however that isn't entirely my intentions with this truck. I'm just a little too worried about screwing something up this time around I guess, but the old truck was probably just a little bit of a lemon anyways.
Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 09:59 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

In my 2005, I found the Level 2 canned tune gave me better gas mileage and gave me much improved passing performance. (Which was what I was looking for.)

I don't know that you need to be "light footed". Longshot, buddy, I'm not arguing, but why did you say that? It's my understanding that the canned tunes are completely safe for any "stock" truck (i.e., not blown, no aftermarket CAI, no long tube headers and/or no X/H pipe dual exhaust mods.

- Jack
Old Thu, July 7th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks. I actually make it a religious matter to check for Pegasus updated versions monthly. Since I haven't frequented here a whole lot I do make it a habit to keep updating in the scenario I need to remove the programmer form the truck, which was only a total of 3 or 4 times in the 2yrs I ran it in the '04.

I set it up in the Lariat tonight. Some odd reason I think it fit the trim of the XLT better, but the silver paint matches the Lariat trim at least, that bugged me just on the XLT grey but was much too subordinate to ever alter and the 20% tint helped shade it darker anyways.

Well by guestimate mathematics, the richer fuel will help low end get the weight moving but should not be a full blown out race up to high rpms for the sakes of running rich? As I noted in the origin post I do not want to be any bit concerned of my trucks safety, some good economy numbers for my random elevation areas and the ability to quickly pass when need be, and of most importance the health of the transmission. What ever it takes to make it last and not suffer from 33s. This is a bit of what I will need to explain when sending for a custom file.

I recall when I ran the trans only level 1 on the old truck not a thing felt different. Later when I filled up with 93 and set the level 3 timing to 1.5 wow did it sound very beastly on the start and drove excellent. Whenever I wanted it to move fast it went, however that isn't entirely my intentions with this truck. I'm just a little too worried about screwing something up this time around I guess, but the old truck was probably just a little bit of a lemon anyways.
It doesn't run that rich, just a hair more as compared to the performance tunes. I consider it safer since you have larger diameter tires. The tune is not only designed for higher load applications on the engine parameters but the shifting as well. Having the tires puts the rest of the driveline (like the transmission) at a mechanical disadvantage so torque in low RPMs when your engine/trans will be seeing more strain is ideal to make them turn efficiently down the road. The computer can make it work with speedo correctness and such, but a light throttle is what is nice on your transmission and wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
In my 2005, I found the Level 2 canned tune gave me better gas mileage and gave me much improved passing performance. (Which was what I was looking for.)

I don't know that you need to be "light footed". Longshot, buddy, I'm not arguing, but why did you say that? It's my understanding that the canned tunes are completely safe for any "stock" truck (i.e., not blown, no aftermarket CAI, no long tube headers and/or no X/H pipe dual exhaust mods.

- Jack
Because if you are heavy footed you are more likely to break something while using the tune. It is indirectly linked.