Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

drek89 is on a distinguished road
Default Brightness/Contrast

Recently the brightness/contrast has been going really dim to the point that I can't see it at all. If I catch it soon enough I can go back into the Contrast settings and adjust it by 1 and back it will return to normal. It's just getting to be a pita so if anyone has suggestions please do chime in
Thanks,
Derek
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 06:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by drek89 View Post
Recently the brightness/contrast has been going really dim to the point that I can't see it at all. If I catch it soon enough I can go back into the Contrast settings and adjust it by 1 and back it will return to normal. It's just getting to be a pita so if anyone has suggestions please do chime in
Thanks,
Derek
Other people have reported something similar, but I think Bill is going to have to see this. I sure don't have any suggestions for you. Derek, I'm guessing you have the monochrome Gryphon, not the newer CS/CTS platform?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

Correct, I have the standard monochrome Gryphon.
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 08:07 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

That's really odd that the contrast would start going dim and then changing the setting in the options restores it. A couple questions:

How frequently does this occur? Every key cycle? Frequently? Weekly? Every few weeks?

Once it starts to dim, how long does it take for the contrast to dim completely out? A few seconds? A minute?

Does the PID display still function correctly when the contrast begins to dim?

If you can't make it to the settings, how do you get the display to work? Turn the key off? Unplug and then reconnect the cable?

I don't have any idea where to even begin to look on this, so any information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I've had mine do that a few times. Next time, while the vehicle is on, unplug the unit then plug it back in. That has always fixed it for me. I think it is heat related.
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 08:20 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Perhaps it wasn't as "similar" as I thought. But, Bill is the guy who can help you with this. Glad he's found the time to monitor the forum.

Edit: Longshot, you snuck in here as I was typing! Good suggestion - can't hurt!

- Jack
Old Thu, July 21st, 2011, 05:21 AM
Enthusiast

It has been doing it a few times a week lately but for a while it was an every day thing. I would guess a minute+ for it to completely dim and everything still works like it should. Turning the truck off/on does return the contrast back to normal but I haven't tried unplugging/plugging it back. I also had taken the heat into consideration but it has been hotter lately than when it acted up more.

Thanks,

Last edited by drek89; Thu, July 21st, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old Thu, July 21st, 2011, 08:29 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by drek89 View Post
It has been doing it a few times a week lately but for a while it was an every day thing. I would guess a minute+ for it to completely dim and everything still works like it should. Turning the truck off/on does return the contrast back to normal but I haven't tried unplugging/plugging it back. I also had taken the heat into consideration but it has been hotter lately than when it acted up more.

Thanks,
Then yes, I think we have been having the same thing happen. A few months ago it would do but now that it easily goes over a 100F it doesn't happen as much.
Old Thu, July 21st, 2011, 09:41 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Unplug and reconnect (with key on) and see if the problem clears up. The only thing I can think is that the buffer got a little sidetracked. When the key is shut off, the device is still running but the display goes to sleep. If there's something in the processor that has gotten confused, then it's still there when the unit wakes up. Unplugging the device does a cold reboot and should clear out any issues.

Let me know if this resolves the problem. If not, then we'll have to track down the issue. It's possible that the thermistor which controls the contrast is acting up, but tough to say. I just can't think of anything else that would change the contrast like that.

Keep us posted.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, July 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast

Well I got in it after work and it went to about 50% visibility..truck was reading outside temp? of 115..all I know is it was horribly hot inside it and every time I changed the Contrast to reset it I would go back to the main screen and it would go back to 50% visibility. I tried the unplug thing(it was almost too hot to even touch) but it did the same thing. Thinking the heat may really have something to do with it. Hoping it didn't damage it in any way.