Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, August 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Double Whopper

eej711 is on a distinguished road
Default Can a tune be written for economy on the HWY?

Can a custom tune be written for specifically HWY driving, like when I take trips and drive 200+ miles on Interstates? Or is the Custom performance tune just as good?
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 09:50 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Custom performance is usually the best tune for highway driving but it varies from truck to truck and the conditions. If I plan on doing a bunch of driving over 55 mph I'll switch to my performance tune just because it has better passing power. Mileage for me is usually the same regardless of tune as long as I'm not having to get heavy on the gas pedal.
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Double Whopper

So for city driving is performance not the best when there are a lot of stoplights since you said you will switch to performance for HWY?
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 01:24 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

usually a towing tune seems to be better for city driving. The towing tune is designed for getting the big heavy truck to get going with a load, and it does it well without a load as well. So because city is stop and go, and you need to get the truck moving from a stop multiple times so it seems to do better, but like Longshot said, it is all up to your foot on how good of gas mileage you get.
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eej711 View Post
So for city driving is performance not the best when there are a lot of stoplights since you said you will switch to performance for HWY?
That is correct for my truck and tunes. BUT every truck is different and every custom tune is different. One reason the tow tune works better for me in the city is that I have highway gears (3.55 LS) and larger than stock tires. This combination works against me because due to gear ratios I am at a mechanical disadvantage. I like the tow tune for stop and go because the extra torque helps to overcome this disadvantage. My tow tune is also written with a pedal position map that is less aggressive than stock (for off road use) so the truck is not as jumpy.
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 07:18 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
That is correct for my truck and tunes. BUT every truck is different and every custom tune is different. One reason the tow tune works better for me in the city is that I have highway gears (3.55 LS) and larger than stock tires. This combination works against me because due to gear ratios I am at a mechanical disadvantage. I like the tow tune for stop and go because the extra torque helps to overcome this disadvantage. My tow tune is also written with a pedal position map that is less aggressive than stock (for off road use) so the truck is not as jumpy.
Longshot has just posted a very well written comment about how you should look at tuning.

You have to tell Bill EXACTLY what you are looking for in a tune. And, you cannot assume he will understand when you say something like, "highway economy". I know that seems enough to many people, but it really does not fill in the "picture". For instance, what are the distances driven on the "highway"? Is it an Interstate? Where are you driving and what are the conditions (elevation?, hilly? speed limits?, temperatures?). What does your truck weigh when it's being driven this way? Do you have any mods like a bed cap that change the aerodynamics? Do you need passing performance?

I suspect there are other things that might go into this, but the goal is to put Bill into YOUR "driver's seat" so that he can set things up the way he would if he were you, looking for what YOU want. It's not easy, trying to mind-read a customer wanting custom tunes. Try to remove that obstacle and you'll be happier.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, August 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM
Double Whopper

Thanks for the responses, especially how detailed they are. I'll probably do more to my truck and when I do I'll be sure to order more tunes if I need them and be very detailed on what I tell bill. I'll try the towing tune and see how it does for me. Thanks again!