Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, September 18th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Whopper Junior

stanleyz is on a distinguished road
Default I'M CONFUSED, BUT THAT'S NOT UNUSUAL

Hi, newby here. I've been hanging on FTE for 10 years and 2 trucks, but I just found you guys. I recently came upon an Edge racing evolution, model 15500 at a great price and bought it. My truck is an 08 6.4L F350 DRW. I tow a 17,000 lb 5th wheel. Tuner is installed and works great on level 1 (35HP/150TQ) but I am reluctant to tow with it. The total load for towing is 25,000 lbs truck and trailer.

Is my Evo the same as a Gryphon? If not, can it be reprogrammed? Can it be custom tuned either as is, or after reprogramming. I plan no further mods. I would like a mild driver tune and heavy towing tune. I do not seek earth shaking speed or 5 MPG increase. Thanks.
Old Sun, September 18th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

An evo is not the same as a gryphon, but they are close. The edge racing evolution cannot be made into a gryphon, but an edge cs or cts can be made into a gryphon.
The difference is that Gryphons can have custom tunes written for you and your style of driving, your altitude, and what you use the truck for... other than that they do the same thing as an Evo, only they do it better
For towing, I would think that the level 1 tune would work fine, just keep an eye on the EGTs, if you don't have a monitor for that, I would get one asap to make sure you don't hurt your truck
Old Mon, September 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

No need to spend the money if you don't need aftermarket programming. There's really nothing spectacular about the tuning for stock trucks.

Personally, I'd save my money.
Old Mon, September 19th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Whopper Junior

The Evo monitors up to 4 functions. I have EGTs and tranny temp displayed and I keep changing the other 2 trying to figure out what I like. I bought the Evo thinking I could do a dpf delete and drive in the stock tune. It won't do that, the lowest tune I can tow in is one. The edge tekkies say I should tow in 2 but I'm not so sure. I think that's 55HP and 180 lbs TQ. I'm more concerned about the tranny than the EGTs. I can kinda control those with driving style, but that trailer is heavy and the Evo does not tune the tranny at all.

So.. I don't mind paying for a custom tune to tow with if it can be done. So, can it be done and can Power hungry do it. Thanks for your responses.

ON EDIT I just went back and reread the post, I guess no, huh. My manual sorta says the Evo is tunable but doesn't give me any info about who or where.
Old Mon, September 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
The Evo does not tune the tranny at all.

So.. I don't mind paying for a custom tune to tow with if it can be done. So, can it be done and can Power hungry do it. Thanks for your responses.
If you think the Evolution won't do it, then neither will a converted unit.
Old Tue, September 20th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
If you think the Evolution won't do it, then neither will a converted unit.
Well, i would be happy if it could be converted and I could tow in stock with the dpf deleted.
Old Tue, September 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

It is my understanding (and I don't do programmers or 6.4L trucks), but I think you're out of luck for DPF-delete tuning these days. The EPA is starting to collect money from vehicle owners for illegal removal of emissions equipment and the tuning companies are getting hosed for supplying the necessary calibrations to get rid of it.

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/lates...ps-letter.html
Old Wed, September 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
It is my understanding (and I don't do programmers or 6.4L trucks), but I think you're out of luck for DPF-delete tuning these days. The EPA is starting to collect money from vehicle owners for illegal removal of emissions equipment and the tuning companies are getting hosed for supplying the necessary calibrations to get rid of it.

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/lates...ps-letter.html
Yeah, I've seen the letter. My impression was that California was cracking down hard with fines and heat on the vendors. The state out there needs money bad. It was my thought that Edge did not close down their racing operation out of civil concerns. But, I sure don't know that, it could be the case. Are they a California company? If so, that would explain it. I can't imagine the EPA comming after a non-commerical entity, not their style. They are prone to push the states into enacting laws to enforce their wishes. As I read the latest law pertaining to our trucks the DOJ is charged with enforcement. I really don't see them going after an individual or even a small company. They also are more likely to sue the states to make them enact inspections and enforcement. Just my opinion, and may be totally wrong, but I don't see the diesel truck tuner business going away anytime soon. The manufacturers have a bad design and unless or untill they change it or perfect it truck owners are going to find wayas to save their 50,000 + dollar trucks. And yes, I guess I use my evo the way it is or start over with new hardware. I'm gonna try the former first and see what happens when I tow.