Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, September 23rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
The Eyes of TX R upon U!

bconnaway is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need O2 sensors?

I'm installing OBX LT headers with resonators and a custom tune from PHP. My O2 sensors are seriously rusted into my old headers and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get them out. So, since I won't have cats and have the tune for that, do I need to install the old O2s on my new headers or can I just put a bolt in the hole and not have anything plugged into the O2 connecting wires?

Meet Alba.
2004 5.4L Lariat Supercrew. OBX long tubes w/ resonators. Magnaflow X-pipe. Dynomax Bullets. Flowmaster slashed tips. AEM Brute Force CAI. Gryphon w/ custom 89 performance tune by PHP. Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. Kenwood KAC-7204. Dual 10" MTX Thunder Thins. Go Rhino Chrome Bed Bar. 4 KC 130W Daylighters. 2.5" Autospring Levelling Kit. 1.5" Autospring Add-A-Leaf. BFGoodrich AT 275/65-18.
Old Fri, September 23rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Yes you need at least 1 set of o2 sensors, they tell the computer if the truck is running lean or rich. the second set behind the cat is for emission reasons i think... it senses how efficient the cat is or something like that. your truck will need custom tunes to run without the second set of sensors, but like I said, you definitely need one set for the truck to run right.
Old Fri, September 23rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
The Eyes of TX R upon U!

Ok. So I guess I do need to really soak them in something like PB Blaster until enough rust comes loose and I can get them out.

Meet Alba.
2004 5.4L Lariat Supercrew. OBX long tubes w/ resonators. Magnaflow X-pipe. Dynomax Bullets. Flowmaster slashed tips. AEM Brute Force CAI. Gryphon w/ custom 89 performance tune by PHP. Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. Kenwood KAC-7204. Dual 10" MTX Thunder Thins. Go Rhino Chrome Bed Bar. 4 KC 130W Daylighters. 2.5" Autospring Levelling Kit. 1.5" Autospring Add-A-Leaf. BFGoodrich AT 275/65-18.
Old Fri, September 23rd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Grown-up in training!

I would imagine so... or buy new ones, but I couldn't tell ya how much those cost... :/
Old Sat, September 24th, 2011, 12:06 AM
The Eyes of TX R upon U!

I didn't really want to buy new ones if I didn't have to since I won't have cats, they won't be doing much anymore.

Meet Alba.
Old Sat, September 24th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Grown-up in training!

well good luck either way, and you might want to have bill write a tune before you remove the 2nd set or the truck might not run right... just a thought...
Old Tue, October 4th, 2011, 01:46 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If they're that badly rusted in...... bite the bullet and buy NEW ones......anytime you do exhaust work be prepared for extra cost.......ticopowell is also correct that Bill can turn off the rear ones but you still need the fronts!

O2 sensor do have a scheduled change out interval based on mileage.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, October 30th, 2011, 12:18 PM
The Eyes of TX R upon U!

I finally got the 2 front ones out and put them back on. I left the 2 back ones off though since I couldn't get them out even after letting them have PB Blaster soak in over the course of a week. Ended up just plugging the holes for those on my new resonators. Seems to be running just fine though.

Meet Alba.
Old Sun, October 30th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Grown-up in training!

I still think you need a tune in order for your truck to perform properly. I don't know what would go wrong, but there could be quite a bit that is affected by not having the rear o2's when the computer thinks that they are there. is the truck throwing any codes?