Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Whopper Junior

midwestoffroad is on a distinguished road
Default features

I have a older evo that uses the lightning softwear . the evo is version 3.14 somthing.. is there some of the Gryphon features that may not work with it..
Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestoffroad View Post
I have a older evo that uses the lightning softwear . the evo is version 3.14 somthing.. is there some of the Gryphon features that may not work with it..
I'm not familiar with the firmware version numbers on an Edge. But, Bill has added some display features with firmware changes to the Gryphon, such as metric information and current status of the Torque Converter and what gear you're in. I doubt these are available on any Edge.

If you have an Edge for a 2004+ truck, you should consider getting it upgraded to a Gryphon.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Whopper Junior

thats the plan.. the debate is to order a new gryphon or send in my old evo.. i need the tow since i haul about 9K and ever bit of power helps and i only tow durring the summer so dont want to get it after the work is done.
Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Ah - I think I understand! You're towing 9K and don't want to be without the Level 2 program for even a heartbeat. I don't blame you!

Actually though, the Level 2 program is probably pretty good for your situation - it's certainly better than stock! But, I think Bill could make it better still. That's a BIG load!

What I'd do is this: wait till after your "towing season" is done, then, return your truck to stock and send in the Edge for a conversion, making sure you state the load you normally tow, where you live (the altitude), the kind of driving (stop and go, mostly cruise, speeds, gas octane, etc.), in other words, let Bill know what you want him to give you! Get a custom tow tune for the thing.

Since you evidently drive your truck for much of the year while not towing, I'd get a tune for that situation too. Again, what kind of driving is it?

In my case, I drive my truck mostly on the highway, usually towing, but sometimes not. I have two tunes, one for each situation and I'm very happy with the results. I wanted good passing power in both tunes and good mileage. I did not care about "chirping" my tires off a standing start. I told Bill this.

Hope this makes at least a little sense!

- Jack
Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

x2

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, June 18th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Whopper Junior

I traded my diesel for this truck

What I had bought a grand cherokee for winter and parked the diesel
I used the jeep for my daily commute which is 15 miles round trip.
money is tighter these days so i figured i tows my mud truck for years with my f250 and 302 that i could do it again for a few years.

I do 2 types of towing I have a 20 foot steel floor car trailer taht is almost 2500lbs and teh truck weights in at 6800lbs

i have street stock cars that are much less but not worried there. and haul 4 ATVs on the trailer so on average it is 5000-9000lbs. this isnt every weekend mind you thats why the 1/2 ton is going to be fine.

on the light side it is almost 2000 lbs with 2 atvs/snowmobiles gear and the alum trailer

I am in MN so were the 0-2000 alt.

i been thinking maybe i need 2 tow tunes . but since i have a 05 i would like to take teh precautions since i just added teh MBRP 3.5 exhaust and S-B CAI
2.5 leveling kit and 33's so this is where the 5.4 will need teh extra ohmp.. if i have to i will throw a set of 4.56 when i add teh 6" lift.