Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Mon, February 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Whopper Junior

Wookie is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about upgrading a not so sharp Edge

Here is my issue, below are a few excerpts from an e-mail to Edge.

I have an Evo tuner installed on my 2005 F-150 that has several problems I would like to have addressed.

Here is the info about the unit:
Bootloader: v1.00a
Product: E3.22.28
Firmware: 22
Hex File: RXM5E4.HEX

First problem is that the truck will not shift properly from 1-2 at WOT. The truck will hit the rev limiter several times before it stumbles and then shifts to 2nd. I have the shift point set to 5100RPM and the Rev limiter set to 5350RPM. I have tried moving the shift point and rev limiter farther apart but it still acts the same.

Second issue is that the speed limiter does not change from the factory default setting. The setting on the Edge does not change anything.

Finally the records have several numbers that are disturbing or unbelievable. Examples of this are
EOT: 1952
IAT: 156 (in the middle of winter)
RPM: 6016 (the rev limiter is set for 5350)
CHT: 48515

I have been battling this issue since day one (Jan 06 and have the e-mails to show for it). I have tried to update the software more times than I can count. Each time it did not fix the issue and some times functionality was lost. (I can not remove the speed limiter any longer) Now I can not even connect to the Edge servers to check for upgrades. I tried to call tech support but I think they forgot to pay the phone bill.

I had chalked it all up as a learning experience and to avoid this vendor in the future, until a recent series of events. The failure to shift caused a bad situation to get worse so I e-mailed Edge (see above). I was told to call in to obtain a RO so that the hardware could be upgraded. I sent the unit in two weeks ago and finally they called today. The upgrade they suggested now costs $100 or $50 to hook it up to a test truck there to see if there is a problem. There was never a mention of cost in either of their e-mails or phone calls. Needless to say I am a whole lot less than happy with the whole thing.

This brings me to my real question. If I have my Evo changed to a Gryphon will it finally make my truck shift correctly? My truck is completely stock so I don't think custom tuning is required. What exactly will the change take? Any opinions on this, otherwise an Evo with painted grey pod is heading to e-bay.