Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 06:58 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Default My JD314

About 6 weeks ago my brotherinlaw informed me that the lawnmower he was borrowing of mine was leaking hydro fluid everywhere. So I went out there to his place and seen that the main differential seal was wet, didn't see it leaking. I started to gather intel on the project and found all the info and parts($40).
This last saturday my wife got a call from her mother and her sister wondering when I was going to get out there and fix it. Just remember I believe kids first. This also torqued me off that her mother of all people has 3 riders, all JDs. She could have let them borrow one? Nope! They are tight wads. Okay, getting back to my lawn mower. Found out the JD dealership wanted around $800 to do this job!!!!! Ouch!!! I thought f150 spark plugs were bad. I asked, "what's the job rate?" And they replied 8 hours! Oh boy, I got my hands full on this one. Armed with my work truck I decided to tackle it. My word! After getting everything apart, I was only a 1 1/2 hours into it and 78 fasteners and brackets deep on the work bench. The cell phone camera came in handy when putting things back together! Well got the 3 seals in and everthing back together. Started to fill it up and it started to leak again! WTF! Nope wasn't the seals! It was a $.40 piece of sight tube hose buried back behind the differential cover and the back bracket! 31 years old and the plastic tube started to crack. Oh well I got new seals and sight tube and its good for another 31 years. Only took 6 hours total and that included 2 parts runs(sealent,rtv,plastic tubing)

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Send the bill to your B-i-L. Or at least start charging rent. I mean after all, it's not a chumpy, little MTD lawnmower... it's a JD! That alone commands a certain amount of respect.

Since we're on the subject of horrifying jobs, here's a good one for you. 1978 Jaguar XJ6, rear brake job INCLUDING rotors.

Now brakes on a Jaguar are just about the easiest things in the world to do. 1 screwdriver, a pair of needle-nose pliers, and 15 minutes is all it takes. Got a chewed up rotor? That's another matter entirely.

I checked the labor manual. Rear brakes pays .6 hours. Rear brakes with rotors pays 12 hours! Yes, 12... as in a dozen! Why? Because you have to pull the entire rear subframe out of the car to get to where you can remove the rotors.

See, Jaguars have a really nice independent rear suspension with the brakes mounted right to the differential. This is nice because it reduces the unsprung weight of the wheel assembly making for a much smoother ride. The problem is that there are axles outboard of the rotors and there is no way to remove the axles without removing the subframe first.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I have to remove half the exhaust system (which routes THROUGH the subframe ) along with the brake lines, parking cable, and main driveshaft. After setting the subframe on jack stands, unbolting the assembly, and then raising the car back up, everything was easily accessible. It took 15 minuted to pop the new rotors on and then the long, laborious task of reinstalling the subframe.

Needless to say, it was quite an interesting experience and definitely the most memorable (and expensive) brake job I've ever done.

One day I may reminisce about a couple of troublesome power steering hoses I've done over the years.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 12:33 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Well you know why JD has its colors? Green because that's what its going to take to fix it. Yellow because that's what's running down your leg when you see the bill!

Last fall it was the starter $259? Quoted dealer price. Not installed. Service rep slipped me a piece of paper with a web site on it. Looked it up and came up with $89. "SOLD"

2 years ago electric pto went out. $275 from the dealer from an independent $350. From 2 days searching on line found it for $180 from a dealer doing inventory reduction sale.

All in all bought the mower for $250. Trade in is at $1200. I told the wife if I have to spend another $250 its going to be sold. But that's the worst thing if it isn't working you barely get scrap value and if you go out and buy new to the equivilant of this one, its $2500+.

Lars

Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Your Mom's favorite :D

Grabber523 is on a distinguished road

F*ck John Deere mowers! They are the most awful, PITA pieces of crap I've ever worked on. Here's what you do if you get to a point where you can't fix something else that breaks (and on those it's always something chassis or drivetrain related from my experience)...

Take it to Dave's Small Engine Repair in Flandreau. Talk to Dave, that's my dad. I spent 4 years turning wrenches in his shop, and I can tell you that John Deere's are more trouble than they're worth. Now, you want to talk about Toro...those are sweet machines, especially when you get into the mid-grade sub-commercial stuff.
Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 05:36 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Grabber its not the fact that its a PITA to fix. Its OMG how much is that going to cost! If these few things are the only thing to happen to it in 31 years I'm doing pretty good.

BTW, I grew up in Dell Rapids. My mom is a good friend of the Marie Ziebarth up there in Flandreau. I also have heard of your dad's shop too.

Lars

Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM

I was born in Dell Rapids. Related to the Fegans and Heinemanns. My uncle and his family live in Dells too. If you're a golfer then I know you've probably played on Flandreau's course...my mom has been running the clubhouse restaraunt for 2 years now.
Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Nope never have played golf there. Usually at the links, colman, northern links, willow run, and prairie green. The driving down in sf is my favorite. Many years ago ran cross country on that golf course.

Each one of those families you mentioned is pretty big down by Dells. My uncle Mike Randall has them living all around him out east of town.

Schulties closed the ford dealership down in flandreau just like ridell group did in dells to that ford dealership.

Lars

Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM

That was my great uncle's Denny Gaspar's dealership...too bad they shut it down. I always got the hookup down there...
Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber523 View Post
That was my great uncle's Denny Gaspar's dealership...too bad they shut it down. I always got the hookup down there...
Yep I know who your great uncle is. Back in the day in high school worked there prepping cars in the winter(lodmell/scheaffer ford). The summer I worked at dells golf course. Here's one for you, up until ellis sold it to your great uncle they could still sell dodges. Ellis still had it in his possession but didn't maintain it.

Lars

Old Tue, May 12th, 2009, 08:50 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber523 View Post
F*ck John Deere mowers! They are the most awful, PITA pieces of crap I've ever worked on. Here's what you do if you get to a point where you can't fix something else that breaks (and on those it's always something chassis or drivetrain related from my experience)...

Take it to Dave's Small Engine Repair in Flandreau. Talk to Dave, that's my dad. I spent 4 years turning wrenches in his shop, and I can tell you that John Deere's are more trouble than they're worth. Now, you want to talk about Toro...those are sweet machines, especially when you get into the mid-grade sub-commercial stuff.
Having worked for John Deere I can tell ya that the stuff they make now is the same Crap everyone else is making, even their larger equipment. but the old stuff like the 300 series you mentioned is just about bullet proof... Thus in good condition it can still garner a good price when sold..
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Closed Thread