Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, November 17th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

The truck should have been a 3/01 build, so who knows how far back the engine build date was?
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 01:34 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Hey all...

I'm really sorry that it has taken this long to make any headway on this project. Since the original posts, we've been tied up with several other projects which have resulted in some delays. However, we're starting to make headway again and I'm really quite excited with where we're at with the build. Just where are we at? Read on...

At this point, I've not yet installed the Cylinder Pressure testing equipment but expect to have that up and running in the next week. Meanwhile, we've completed the stock dyno runs and datalogs and also the Stage 1 dyno runs and datalogs. The results were better than I could have possibly expected, especially considering that the block, turbo, and HPOP are all still completely stock.

The following links are to the compiled datalogs and associated dyno runs. The three test completed so far were:

1) Stock Injectors, Stock Power Level

2) Stock Injectors, Extreme Power Level

3) Stage 1 Injectors, Extreme Power Level

The first two files are about what I'd expect from a 200K+ miles motor with stock injectors. However, what I found with the third set of runs with the Stage 1's surprised me a little bit. I tried a couple small changes between a few sets of runs so the 3 runs in the Stage 1 files are slightly different. The changes were subtle and done in a manner to see which produced not only the best peak power curve, but also the broadest and smoothest curves. The results are very clear and I've included some comments as well.

On run #1, I had set the ICP to 2900 PSI and went with a slightly higher injection pulsewidth of 4.00 ms. This will usually provide a broader torque curve and a lower peak power. However, in this case the results showed the highest power output of the three runs, peaking at 399 HP @ 2560 RPM and 926 Ft. Lbs. @ 2124 RPM. Power was above 350 HP from 2130 RPM to 3276 RPM and above 300 HP from 1917 RPM to 3490 RPM (just after the point where I let off the throttle). While ICP remained steady, the IPR D/C was a bit higher do the wider injection pulsewidth. However, it never climbed above 50% for the entire run which indicates to me that (1) we were not floating the poppets on the injectors and (2) we have a pretty solid working HPOP.

On run #2, I raised the ICP to 3200 PSI and dropped the injection pulsewidth down to 3.60 ms. My peak power dropped to 393 HP @ 2500 RPM and my torque dropped to 891 Ft. Lbs. @ 2225 PRM. Like run #1, power was above 350 HP from 2115 RPM to 3268 RPM and above 300 HP from 1967 RPM to 3531 RPM (slight higher RPM range, but similar width). With the narrower pulsewidth we did see a noticeable drop in IPR D/C, especially at upper RPMs. This helps to confirm some suspicions I have about the relationships between wide pulsewidths and ICP/IPR stability.

On run #3, I dropped the ICP to 3150 PSI and raised the injection pulsewidth to 3.80 ms. My peak power was 395 HP @ 2541 RPM and my torque was 898 Ft. Lbs. @ 2160 PRM. Power was above 350 HP from 2081 RPM to 3280 RPM (about 50 PRM wider) and above 300 HP from 1958 RPM to 3492 RPM (where the run stopped recording at 318 HP). IPR D/C stayed well below 50% (below 45% above 3000 RPM) and this was also, by far, the smoothest run of the three.

A few other things to note:

1) The boost (MAP) values are pretty useless, given the fact that despite the MAP sensor being a "3 Bar" range sensor, 1 Bar of the sensor is wasted on vacuum so the output is limited to only about 28 PSI. Combined with some other internal restrictions and adjustment for Baro sensor offset in the calibrations, this is further reduced to about 24 PSI. We will be soon adding a 5 Bar map sensor to allow for a more accurate boost reading as well as being able to accurately correct fueling based on boost values.

2) The SOI timing curve peaked at about 30º BTC at 3600 RPM. If we'd have pushed to 4000, it may have seen 32º to 34º based on the advance rate of about 1º per 125 RPM. Once we're able to test the cylinder pressures, we'll experiment with more aggressive curves to see just how significant the effect is by advancing SOI timing. I'm sure the answer is pretty obvious, as many PMR engines have already experienced, but it would be interesting to have some cold, hard facts to substantiate the theories. Also, keep in mind that elevated ICP not only has a modest effect on SOI, but it also has a pretty significant effect on the combustion point and burn rate of the fuel which can also be responsible for excessive cylinder pressures and ultimately lead to engine failures.

Given the nature of the test vehicle, I don't think I could have asked for a better set of runs. Based on the results so far, I'd say that my favorite run was configuration #1 due to the fact that we were able to make solid power with ICP pressures below 3000 PSI. There's a long standing argument that you have to have aggressive ICP pressures to make any power, and to some degree that's probably an accurate statement. However, the problem still centers around the limitations of the HEUI injectors and higher ICP may not always be the best solution, especially when getting into injectors with larger nozzles. Too much fuel too fast could cause extremely high cylinder pressures, and we'll see just how accurate that is once the Stage 2's are installed and the cylinder pressures are logged.

At this point, I've got a few minor modifications to complete before the step to Stage 2. First, I have the exhaust system, Wicked Wheel, and CP testing equipment to install and then we'll do another quick set of runs just to see what's what. After that, the Stage 2's go in and then we'll test the HPOP and fuel systems to see just where any deficiencies occur. I'm suspecting that both systems will need to be upgraded before we begin to push the envelope on those injectors. Following that, head studs, turbo, and 300cc-350cc injectors, which should push me to the 600 HP mark on a stock-blocked PMR engine. The next 2 months will be interesting!

Enjoy!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, January 31st, 2011, 07:39 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

Very interesting, great work! Any type of a deal on the injectors your taking out? (Don't hurt to ask...lol)

Last edited by cj45lc; Mon, January 31st, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old Tue, February 1st, 2011, 02:04 PM
Stock Sucks!

TwinTurbo is on a distinguished road

Forgive me if this is a question that has already been addressed or the answer is obvious to everyone but me, but do you have the ability to test fuel rate (usage) as well to see if there are any measurable benefits to running a higher ICP and narrower PW versus lower PSI and wider PW (higher pressure, better atomization, = less fuel for same HP output?) I apologize if my ignorance is abundantly obvious.

'95 F-250 Powerstroke, 350,000 Miles, Mods: Phoenix chip, 140V IDM, Diamond Eye DP to 4" straight pipe, CCV mod, Amsoil synthetics throughout.
'04 F-350, XLT Lariat, Powerstroke, CC, Dually, SS exhaust, AirRaid intake and filter, Edge Evolution, PHP FICM programmer.
Old Tue, February 1st, 2011, 02:42 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

I am loving those datalogs, Bill.
Old Tue, February 1st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Whopper

Firehunter is on a distinguished road

Didn't get a reply over on PSN so maybe I'll put it here...anyone? Is 250 psi difference in ICP a big deal?

Quote:
Great results!

I highlighted where you say that run #1 was your favorite yet run #3 was by far the smoothest. Why is that? I see you mentioned that making power with ICP less than 3000 is a good thing but is there really that big of a difference between 2900 psi and 3150 psi? (Yah, I know...250 psi, right? Duh...). Does that 250 psi difference make a difference in the longevity of hard parts or the oil or both - or will it not even be noticeable over the long haul? With all three runs being within 6 peak hp of each other it seems like the smoothest and broadest curve would be desirable?

Was the turbo completely stock? It looked like you were hitting a max of ~22lbs boost according to the map sensor but that looks like it was a "tuned" max. What kind of boost numbers did you see?

After exchanging PM's with Cody it seems he is very impressed with the "streetability" of the stage 1's and these tunes and has me pretty well sold on going this route, for MY purposes, in the near future.

Good Stuff.
Old Tue, February 1st, 2011, 05:36 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehunter View Post
Is 250 psi difference in ICP a big deal?

Was the turbo completely stock? It looked like you were hitting a max of ~22lbs boost according to the map sensor but that looks like it was a "tuned" max. What kind of boost numbers did you see?
Given the "hydraulic advantage" of about 7:1 inside a stock AD injector, it equates to about 1750 PSI of fuel injection pressure.

It is a completely stock turbo. The 22 PSI of boost is read from the DLC so it's what the computer is "seeing". That is the mechanical limit of the stock MAP sensor, so it's all we get to look at. A mechanical gauge plumbed into the intake tract would likely show about 10 PSI more than that. Not that 32 PSI is good, but that's the reasoning for the ONLY 22 PSI showing up in the datalogs.
Old Tue, February 1st, 2011, 09:15 PM
Whopper

Firehunter is on a distinguished road

Thanks Cody, figured you would see this here.

32 psi makes sense but doesn't make for lengevity! Yes, I understood the boost reading maxing out, just was wondering what the mechanical reading was, thanks.

I like the smooth curve of run #3 on the stage 1's myself even though the ICP was higher.
Old Wed, February 2nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
Whopper

93stang is on a distinguished road

Will a package purchase be available for injectors and tune?

Was looking to pickup FU1 when I get back from Afghanistan next month. But with seeing this would be inclined to purchase a set of stage 1's and what ever tuning you suggest FU2? Great results pretty much exactly what I am looking for!!!
Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 04:55 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Looks good Bill!
Keep the updates coming.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.