Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Sun, March 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough
Question new shocks or a lift?

I need to replace my rear shocks because they are leaking and i guess not doing their job right, so my question is how much more $$ would it be to get those replaced with new ones and a lift kit, versus just getting new rear shocks. My truck is a 2001 Screw F-150 with a shell, and I foresee towing in my future, and camping down dirt roads. The lift would be to add some clearance and maybe in the future if i need bigger tires then i can add those too. Let me know what Yall's think about doing either one.
Old Sun, March 7th, 2010, 10:41 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

The more a truck is raised and the bigger the meats are the more milage is left behind. Reguardless of regearing.
JMHO

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, March 7th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Grown-up in training!

Default 2"-3" at most...

I am just thinking a 2" to 3" lift, and im already getting crappy mileage so I dont know how much i would notice... so what does lifting actually do to make it get less mileage?
Old Sun, March 7th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
I am just thinking a 2" to 3" lift, and im already getting crappy mileage so I dont know how much i would notice... so what does lifting actually do to make it get less mileage?
Well since you say 2' or 3' are you talking about a leveling kit or a suspension lift. If the latter then you are talking some money. I can't remember off the top of my head about the OBS but most suspension lifts you have to use aftermarket rims with the correct backspacing.(There is an exception tho).

If you are talking about the leveling kit though DONT buy the "leveling kit" /torsion keys. You can easily get under the truck and cranked the bars up to give you another two on the front. But I dont feel that this is what you are talking about.

Lifting changes the aerodynamics, which can affect mileage, but it mainly comes when you throw them big tires under it with stock gearing. But I believe with regearing you can get back close to the mileage...heck I get less than some people that have 35's and have regeared.
Old Sun, March 7th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBFX4 View Post
Well since you say 2' or 3' are you talking about a leveling kit or a suspension lift. If the latter then you are talking some money. I can't remember off the top of my head about the OBS but most suspension lifts you have to use aftermarket rims with the correct backspacing.(There is an exception tho).

If you are talking about the leveling kit though DONT buy the "leveling kit" /torsion keys. You can easily get under the truck and cranked the bars up to give you another two on the front. But I dont feel that this is what you are talking about.

Lifting changes the aerodynamics, which can affect mileage, but it mainly comes when you throw them big tires under it with stock gearing. But I believe with regearing you can get back close to the mileage...heck I get less than some people that have 35's and have regeared.
That makes sense with the aerodynamics, but idk if 2-3 inches are gonna do that much that ways, and yeah the tires makes sense, my dad has 35" tires on his F-350 V10, and it gets 10-11 on a good day...

Thanks for the advice on the torsion keys, i was looking at those and wondering why the ones i have couldn't do the same thing... So to do that I would just need the special tool for the torsion bars, and then crank them up.

If I am replacing the rear shocks, should I get different ones to add some lift? or is it even capable of that? thanks again for the responses.
Old Mon, March 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
That makes sense with the aerodynamics, but idk if 2-3 inches are gonna do that much that ways, and yeah the tires makes sense, my dad has 35" tires on his F-350 V10, and it gets 10-11 on a good day... I agree

Thanks for the advice on the torsion keys, i was looking at those and wondering why the ones i have couldn't do the same thing... So to do that I would just need the special tool for the torsion bars, and then crank them up.

If I am replacing the rear shocks, should I get different ones to add some lift? or is it even capable of that? thanks again for the responses.
No need for a special tool I think its just a metric socket if I remember right. I should have probably explained a little more about the torision keys, they will basically let you adjust the bars too much which will cause more damage in the long run and plus you would have to pay for them when you can do it for free.

I dont really remember if there are any adjustable shocks for the rear? But a couple other suggestions would be to add a bigger block in the rear. ( IF you have a 2wd you could put a 4wd block in the back about 1 5/8 tall or if you have a 4wd you could just get a 3" block) (Autospring has them for the cheapest if I remember right) THe other option would be to put on an add a leaf which is beneficial if you tow a lot. it will help the rear not sag as much. Hope this helps.
Old Mon, March 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Grown-up in training!

that helps a lot, I guess if i want a lift i should just do it right the first time, but since i dont have that much $$ I will just fix what is broken :P... I might get the better shocks in the back, but im not planning on towing too much but the extra leaf spring would be pretty nice. thanks again everyone, the truck is in the shop now getting all fixed up :/.... then $1200 later i can have it back
Old Mon, March 8th, 2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
that helps a lot, I guess if i want a lift i should just do it right the first time, but since i dont have that much $$ I will just fix what is broken :P... I might get the better shocks in the back, but im not planning on towing too much but the extra leaf spring would be pretty nice. thanks again everyone, the truck is in the shop now getting all fixed up :/.... then $1200 later i can have it back
Ouch...but yea when you get into lifting it will definitely rack the money up.
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBFX4 View Post
Ouch...but yea when you get into lifting it will definitely rack the money up.
yeah, ive asked a few places, one wanted $3500 for a full lift kit, and they would install the leveling kit torsion keys for $110 or so, but I would have to buy the new keys... wouldnt even consider just using the ones i have... oh well, plus my truck needs some front end work as well, so I might have to add on to the $1200 (i like that smiley haha), but the guys are checking it out today and tomorrow and will call before they do anything... I hope it isnt too much more but who knows... a 2001 with 150000 miles might have some nasty problems there, especially since it was a work truck
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road

i probably will nvr lift my truck, 99 f150 ext cab. a body lift would be your best bet for 2-3inches but then its one thing after another...you will spend 1-2k before its all said and done and only get 1-2 inches in clearance. you can fit 33's w no lifting, maybe a slight t-bar adjustment or you could do a body lift, then get 35's and rims, then re-gear, all for 2more inches. i think im gonna stick w 33's and maybe get on some lighter 17x9 rims. but aftermarket aluminum rims have low load capacities. there is alot of give/take when it comes too lifting. g/l though