Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody994x4 View Post
Thankx for the info Longshot, i will try out your formula for getting an accurate speed/mpg

right now im averaging 15.8(only abt 200miles and mostly h-way but some stops)...id like to get at least 17 w the 33's but we'll see, i have compared readings to my gps, the gps says im gng approx. 2-2.5mph faster than the gryphon indicates. the truck speedo is in between them two reading abt 1-2 mph faster than the gryph. so im close but id like to get this perfect for an accurate mpg reading.
i plan on getting an accurate reading after im dialed in correctly and go on a highway trip of 300miles or so...
Grams per second is the answer i was looking for there.

PIDs- i dont have trans temp or oil temp on my 99...wish i did. Im pretty sure i have current gear not comm gear...i could b wrong on that, no biggie.

Im really enjoying my gryphon so far, there is def. a noticable power increase on the level2 canned tune, and i have yet to try lvl3

Thankx agn.
Cody, just looking at the part that I "bolded", it looks to me like you want to increase your tire size value be about 3% (multiply it by 1.03). This makes sense because you've mounted larger tires, BUT, you really can't tell what figure the PCM is currently using! There's no way to "see" that on the Gryphon. As long as you haven't opened the "Custom Options" menu, the PCM is using your stock tire size that was stored in its VID section. If you tell me what your stock tires were, I could "guess" that value and go from there. However, 33 in tires should give you close to a 2554 mm TS, if you want to try that as a starting point.

Make sure you check and change the Gear Ratio if necessary too, when you use the Custom Options menu.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road

ok i havent reprogrammed in a few days, ive been running canned lvl2 for daily driving the last time i programmed i did load a 'custom' tune adjusting my tires size to 2470, and set my gears correctly at 3.73...i was curious while i had that menu up so i viewed tire size a cpl times and the gryph kept defaulting to 2472.

i got 2470 from deducting 3% from the mm size i got from the gear ratio prog. im pegasus, i just entered 285/70-17 then took the mm value and decucted 3%. When i program the next time i will NOT deduct the 3% putting me real close to the 2552 you recommended. my stock size was 265/70-17.
Thanks
Old Fri, April 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody994x4 View Post
ok i havent reprogrammed in a few days, ive been running canned lvl2 for daily driving the last time i programmed i did load a 'custom' tune adjusting my tires size to 2470, and set my gears correctly at 3.73...i was curious while i had that menu up so i viewed tire size a cpl times and the gryph kept defaulting to 2472.

i got 2470 from deducting 3% from the mm size i got from the gear ratio prog. im pegasus, i just entered 285/70-17 then took the mm value and decucted 3%. When i program the next time i will NOT deduct the 3% putting me real close to the 2552 you recommended. my stock size was 265/70-17.
Thanks
The 2472 is the value that the programmer uses after it does math and has to round numbers. The values are only 2 mm apart and only .081% off so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you use the gear ratio tool in pegasus, instead of deducting the 3% squish by hand, put your tire size and the amount of squish into the box towards the bottom. Then just write down whatever value is shown on the same line as your tire size.

If you use the forumla I put up by using the GPS, do the math by the number you entered, not the rounded value (not that it will really make that much of a difference). Also, the GPS isn't always perfect on speed unless your using cruise control on flat ground. You also have to look away from one to view the other, that is why I go by the odometer. I just let the truck and GPS record the distances and when I'm done I compare the two.