Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Whopper Junior

mlweber84 is on a distinguished road
used gryphon question

I bought a gryphon and the guy said it was unlocked and ready to go. I went to install everything and when i get the unit plugged in, i get a message that reads cannot locate ecm or something. I then took the unit to my computer to try and return everything to stock with pegasus and it asks me for an unlock key. Does this mean the guy did not return the unit back to stock? Did I just not hook up the gryphon correctly. Also whats the other small connector for on the obdII connector side of the cable?
Any help would be awesome. I just want to get this thing going. Thanks,
Mike Weber
Old Tue, July 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlweber84 View Post
I bought a gryphon and the guy said it was unlocked and ready to go. I went to install everything and when i get the unit plugged in, i get a message that reads cannot locate ecm or something. I then took the unit to my computer to try and return everything to stock with pegasus and it asks me for an unlock key. Does this mean the guy did not return the unit back to stock? Did I just not hook up the gryphon correctly. Also whats the other small connector for on the obdII connector side of the cable?
Any help would be awesome. I just want to get this thing going. Thanks,
Mike Weber
You may/probably have a locked Edge/Gryphon. It won't be the first time.

The little connector is now part of an Edge-supplied cable that is a generic one that accommodates diesel trucks too. You can simply ignore it.

Do you know the guy you bought it from? I think he's trying to have the best of two worlds, a tuned truck AND money back on his programmer (which he doesn't need now that his truck is tuned).

But, he may be outsmarting himself. If his PCM needs to be reflashed, and it is not holding the stock tune, I think it stops the truck from starting.

If you can get with the guy you bought it from, have him put it on his truck and activate it. If there's a small "0" (zero) in the upper right hand corner of the screen, the unit IS unlocked and he's not trying to pull a fast one.

Bill CAN unlock the unit. But it will cost you an additional fee.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, July 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Whopper Junior

mlweber84 is on a distinguished road

I dont know what I did but I eventually got it to run on my truck. There was a zero in the corner. I went to load the level 2 tune and it went through some screens then I got the F1 message and I did what was in the troubleshooting guide but to no avail. I updated all of my pegasus and the gryphon. When I go to the read critical files button it says that none of the files can be located. I dont know if this is the problem or what. Now everytime I plug in the gryphon to the truck it says ecm cannot be found. Help anyone?
Old Wed, July 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlweber84 View Post
I dont know what I did but I eventually got it to run on my truck. There was a zero in the corner. I went to load the level 2 tune and it went through some screens then I got the F1 message and I did what was in the troubleshooting guide but to no avail. I updated all of my pegasus and the gryphon. When I go to the read critical files button it says that none of the files can be located. I dont know if this is the problem or what. Now everytime I plug in the gryphon to the truck it says ecm cannot be found. Help anyone?
It may still have custom tunes on it. Your hex and the hex of the previous owner aren't matching up.
What does the power programming options tell you as far as what tunes are available?

If the unit has the canned tunes on it the screen for options should say:

1. Tranny only
2. Tow
3. Perf

Or something like that.

If they are customs it might look like:

1. 87 perf
2. 87 tow perf
3. 93 perf

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, July 15th, 2009, 09:48 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
NOTICE!

Please pm Groovy Chick with the previous owners info. so that PHP knows that he sold it to you and they can get the serial number switched for their records.

Thanx

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, July 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

There's actually a more accurate way to tell if the unit is custom tuned, but you at least have to be able to get to the menus while it's in your truck. If you can, here's what Bill has said to do:

Go to the main menu on the programmer, select [Diagnostics] -> [Tech Support] -> [Version Info]. In the calibration version, if it reads "0.x.xxxx" where the last 4 x's are [usually] the same as the serial number, you have custom tunes. If the numbers look like "1.x.xxxx" then the unit has the canned tunes, not the custom.

To clarify - any calibration that looks like 0.x.xxxx is a CUSTOM build. All calibrations that begin with "1", i.e., 1.x.xxxx are CANNED calibrations.

And if you have custom tunes, then the unit will not work on your truck yet.

If you got the F1 error, then your truck should still be at stock, and the Gryphon should still have a "0" in the upper right corner. Your truck still runs, right?

If the Gryphon is at stock, try updating it again through Pegasus. Make sure you have the latest firmware AND calibration files. Upgrading the calibration files should replace any custom tunes.

And, DO make sure Bill and Corey have you as the owner of that unit's serial number, just like Lars said.

If it still doesn't work, let us know and we'll get Bill involved.

- Jack