Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Old Thu, January 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
2009 F-150 5.4L Preliminary Dyno Results!

Hey all...

Finally got back from Utah and needless to say, I AM EXCITED!

The new 2009 F-150 is running awesome and actually looks to be making a bit more power than the earlier 2004 to 2008 versions.

From what we've found so far, the only major difference under the hood is that the air filter housing has been relocated directly behind the driver's headlight and now uses a LARGE 12" x 12" pleated panel filter. This is definitely helping airflow.

As you well know, the new platform sports a new 6-speed automatic transmission which now has its own controller which is separate from the ECM. The ECM itself has been updated to a new, faster processor as well. Fortunately, the tuning is quite similar and we were able to get the base tuning done without any difficulty. Here are the preliminary results:

Test Conditions:
  • Vehicle - 2009 F-150
  • Engine - 5.4L
  • Transmission - 6-Speed Automatic
  • Gear - 3.73
  • Fuel - 85 Octane
  • Altitude - 4500 Feet
  • Ambient Temp - 76º F.
  • Barometric Pr. - 26.65 In. Hg.
Here are the dyno plots (Click on the images to view full size):

Horsepower Only

Torque Only

Horsepower and Torque

Horsepower, Torque and AFR

As you can see, the biggest gains were not on the top end but in the midrange... which is where you really need it! Notice that the stock AFR curve does not allow any WOT enrichment until about 4500 RPM! And you wonder why the trucks are always so sluggish off the line. The AFR stays right at 14.6:1 throughout most of the acceleration. Now add a Cold Air Intake which in most cases cause a slight to moderate lean condition and suddenly you have a situation that could be very detrimental to the engine.

I also included an additional dyno plot which show without question that removing the snorkel does, in fact, improve the performance of the vehicle, particularly above 3500 RPM. Based on calculations, removing the snorkel picked up 7.5 HP and 7.6 Ft./Lbs. These figures are very respectable, especially considering that we had already made a significant gain with tuning. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to retest the vehicle with the Performance calibration, but I would certainly expect to see similar improvements with the same modification.

Needless to say, we are really excited about the results, especially since we only ran 85 Octane fuel. We will be doing some (relatively) sea-level testing here in the next week or two along with 93 Octane fuel testing and fully expect to see even better results.

We'll keep everyone posted on the results as development progresses. Stay tuned...

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!

Last edited by Power Hungry; Thu, January 15th, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old Thu, January 15th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Double Whopper

jfuller5 will become famous soon enough
Default Impressed !!!!!!

Hey Bill, I am really impressed now that i can see the results on paper, are the 08 5.4 curves respective of these? Much smoother power and torque curves and also a huge gain in the midrange. Hats Off to your abilities . Jim
Old Thu, January 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Jim,

The 04 to 08 dyno curves are similar, although are a little bit lower than the '09. I'll try to see if I can dig up some of the older plots we did on the 2004 and 2006 trucks for comparison.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, January 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Great information Bill! I too, would like to see the curves for 2004-2008 engines!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, January 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

I thought the 07-08's are a bit stronger than the 04 thru 06's? I know they have more free flowing exhaust manifolds!
Custom tunes
Old Thu, January 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
clambelly

oysterbone is on a distinguished road

where do i put my foot on it ? Hey, Bill & Corey do the kids need any coconuts?

Last edited by oysterbone; Thu, January 22nd, 2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: sentence structure; the
Old Thu, January 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

If I wrote down 1,000 questions that I thought I might be asked today, "Do the kids need coconuts?" would not have been on the list. I don't even think they've seen a whole coconut before! They'd love it! <--closest I could come to a coconut was a pina colada smiley.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Fri, January 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

That's a nice improvement...
but that AFR graph of stock is a bit scary...
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Fri, January 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondarychaos View Post
That's a nice improvement...
but that AFR graph of stock is a bit scary...
Kind of like falling off a cliff, isn't it? But wouldn't everything be better if all the A/F curves stayed closer to the ideal 14.08 value (for E10) throughout the envelope? Or, does the engine really HAVE to run rich under load to prevent damage?

I remember a certain brand of model airplane engine I had when I was a kid that was very good at destroying itself as the fuel in the tank ran out. It would suddenly start running quite lean, the RPMs would increase then drop slightly and it would sound "weak". Then, the crankshaft would fracture! I learned the only way to prevent this from happening was to run the thing at a richer than full-power setting for the entire flight.

- Jack

Last edited by Jackpine; Fri, January 23rd, 2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Entered correct A/F ratio for E10
Old Fri, January 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

LOL that's an interesting design...
run out of fuel? Bang LOL

I'm thinking this was ford's engineer's idea to help fuel economy...
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.

Tags
2009, dyno, f150, power, results, torque