Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Sat, January 30th, 2021, 01:24 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Clap Updated Definitions to eliminate DTCs coming soon!

Ok. So I've been at this game for almost 24 years now. Ford tuning has been just been a living, but it has been life for me. I never stop poking around, trying different things, or looking at things from new angles. Well, this past Thursday was another one of those "lightbulb" days for me. It proves the old adage that you can learn something new every day if you pay attention.

At the behest of a customer, I was looking (AGAIN) for a way to turn off specific DTCs for sensors that had been removed. In this case, it was DTCs related to EBPV (Backpressure Valve) and AIH (Air Intake Heater). Now, I've been able to circumvent the AIH codes by changing the self test parameters, but I've not been able to successfully eliminate some of the DTCs related to removing the Backpressure Pedestal. We've just told people to leave the solenoid plugged in and forget about it. The only other option we had was to eliminate ALL DTCs by setting the number of allowable DTCs that the PCM could store to zero. This means that the PCM would never set any codes at all, even if there was a legitimate problem. This is never a good idea and I figured that there had to be a better way.

So I sat down in front of the computer, opened up a binary file, and started digging around. Switching gears from the way I have historically handled DTC management, I stumbled upon a solution where I can eliminate ANY single, specific DTC! I couldn't believe it until I programmed a couple test files onto a Hydra and stuck it in a PCM. Instantly, the specified DTCs were gone!

As I said, this is something I've been trying to figure out for over 20 years, and the answer was staring me in the face the whole time. I just didn't understand what or where it was. It pays to stop, take a break, clear your mind, and look at things a different way. You never know what you might discover!

Anyway, we can now permanently eliminate ANY DTC you may have. We'll be updating the definitions for our preferred custom tuning dealers and then roll out the updates to the rest of our Minotaur users as quickly as possible.

If you have any questions about this, please let us know.

Take care and God bless.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, January 30th, 2021, 07:29 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Oops. I didn't realize there was a duplicate post here in the actual Minotaur subforum.

Since it's been 13 years since first downloading/registering Minotaur and I would like to get it on a new computer before the old one finally gives me the BSOD for the last time......

I have downloaded the current version. How do I register it now since I have eaten at least once or twice since the last time I did this....yes, I read the user manual but didn't see anything about contacting/invoicing; just how to access the registration number window.

Question though....
If I want to put an older version on this PC as well (that runs the Romulator), is it like the old computer where the same license runs all of the different versions of the software I currently have and there aren't compatibility problems so I can just install that version on the new one too? There are certain features of past versions that I like better than the newest one I have. I noticed the icon is different for the latest version too....I like it!

Thank you!

Oh, my email address has changed (I killed everything Google on everything I own) and it's now something different so please change that in my account information if you would please! I think you have my phone number....if not let me know and I'll text you first as long as your number hasn't changed since last time we chatted.

Or.....
I could just turn on PMs I guess.
Old Sun, January 31st, 2021, 05:59 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I have downloaded the current version. How do I register it now since I have eaten at least once or twice since the last time I did this....yes, I read the user manual but didn't see anything about contacting/invoicing; just how to access the registration number window.
To access the registration window, press [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [R], and then type in your name (capitalized in the appropriate spaces, of course).

I have your registration ready to go. DO NOT run the currently registered version of Minotaur as it will overwrite the new activation. Afterwards, you can run either one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Question though....
If I want to put an older version on this PC as well (that runs the Romulator), is it like the old computer where the same license runs all of the different versions of the software I currently have and there aren't compatibility problems so I can just install that version on the new one too? There are certain features of past versions that I like better than the newest one I have. I noticed the icon is different for the latest version too....I like it!

Thank you!
The only problem you're going to run into is that when you install Minotaur, it defaults to C:\Minotaur as the installation location. If you want to run multiple versions (Romulator vs. Quarterhorse, for example) you can install one version, rename the folder, and then install the next version. You can also rename the EXE file and have them both in the same folder as well. One activation should work with most of the older versions. If not, let me know and I'll get you an activation for the version you want.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Sun, January 31st, 2021, 06:54 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
I have your registration ready to go. DO NOT run the currently registered version of Minotaur as it will overwrite the new activation. Afterwards, you can run either one.
I'm really paranoid about my computers (you know, XP on a firewall-less computer with no anti-virus/anti-malware, and running Firefox V.3.xxxxxxx) so once I get crafty with software downloads, the wifi gets disabled and it never hooks to the 'net again so no worries about the other computer's software but I will do it the way you said.

Quote:
The only problem you're going to run into is that when you install Minotaur, it defaults to C:\Minotaur as the installation location. If you want to run multiple versions (Romulator vs. Quarterhorse, for example) you can install one version, rename the folder, and then install the next version.
The old computer has three versions of Minotaur on it and they all still function independently - under program files of "PHP\Minotaur", "Power Hungry\Minotaur", and "Power Hungry Performance\Minotaur". Yes, as you said, I had to make them separate entities on the drive. I still have "PHP Tune" somewhere on it too but have never used it.

I'll get the other computer lined up ready to go and then give it a go. Just so I am straight on this (and I'll wait until I hear back from you before continuing)......

1. Register current version (.350) under my name.
2. Open/use the .350 version (gotta make sure it works ).
3. Copy older version installs from other PC to their own folders on new PC.
4. Old versions should function on new PC with new registration.
5. Disconnect internet forever so registrations don't F-eachother up.

Thank you. I'll get back to your PM.
Old Mon, February 1st, 2021, 12:34 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'd think you'll be OK even on an old XP computer as long as you use it to access ONLY PHP's website. Once you download the needed file(s) you can air-gap it again.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, February 1st, 2021, 12:42 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpine View Post
I'd think you'll be OK even on an old XP computer as long as you use it to access ONLY PHP's website. Once you download the needed file(s) you can air-gap it again.

- Jack
Jack,

The interwebz is a scary place. I thought about double-wrapping the new PC in garbage bags before turning it on. It took forever to put XP on the dang thing and find drivers.....but it should work just fine.

I have a dedicated internet computer that still has no firewall or anti-itd (internet transmitted disease) "condom" as well as an outdated version of internet browser. No problems at all - yet. Then again, I stay well away from anything other than here, FTE, eBay and Rumble.
Old Mon, February 1st, 2021, 09:06 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Your probably safer running xp than any of the new ones. The hackers probably moved on to greener pastures. There are so many old OSs out there running all kinds of things that nobody generally cares about.
Old Tue, February 2nd, 2021, 08:56 AM

One of the best setups I've come up with so far is running a Win XP/7 installation as your main OS, and then running VirtualBox with a Linux Mint Installation. Linux is considerably more secure (and faster) than Windows and works great for simple things like browsing and typing documents. Their "Office" suite is compatible with all Microsoft Office documents so there's no issue there. The best part is, if you somehow get infected by someone's stupidity, just dump the virtual machine and start fresh. Of course, you can do your favorite Windows versions as well.

Storage permitting (I have 20 TB of storage on my server), I keep unmolested versions of Win 98, XP, 7, and Linux Virtual Machines in an archive folder. If things go south, I just delete the current Virtual Machine and copy the archive in its place. Takes 2 minutes and I have a fresh OS ready to go. As long as you don't map any drives to the Virtual Machine, it's pretty much completely isolated from your host machine and anything else on your network.

Another good OS for complete isolation is Qubes OS. It is one of a few OS's used by Edward Snowden. It leaves no footprint, can be run from a thumbdrive, and is nearly impenetrable. This could be run as a virtual machine as well.

There are plenty of options for security, especially if you're willing to step outside of the Microsoft comfort zone.

(678) 890-1110

Tags
chip, codes, dtcs, ford, hydra, minotaur, p-codes, p0478, p1211, p1249, pcodes, power, powerstroke, stroke, trouble, trouble codes, tuning