Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, August 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I wonder though, how much difference flex/non-flex fuel is, and, 49/50 state differences seem like they should be minimal too.

- Jack
Functionally, I suspect there’s little to no change between those two flavors. Maybe labeling is done that way to satisfy some regulatory requirement or to be able to prove something to the EPA (flex) or CARB (50-state).

I know as a Kalifornia resident, I can't go out-of-state to buy a new car and bring it back here unless it's 50-state certified on the VECI label. I imagine a 49-state label could easily come unglued and somehow a 50-state label might get put in its place, leaving the PCM calibration as the only true way to tell the 49/50-state status.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

Back in the 70's-80's California cars did have some actual hardware differences that were unique to our Golden State. NOx (nitrogen oxides) valves in the distributor vacuum lines, I think it was. Maybe cats and EVAP stuff too before the rest of the country got them. I don't think there's been any actual hardware differences between CA and the other 49 states in a while now. But that's all fixing to change again when CA goes to their own CO2 standard.

Old Tue, August 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Whopper

dnkrm is on a distinguished road

Tonight I ran to the golf course and watched it closely. Had the same symptoms as soon as I took off, it would shift way too early, I was in third gear at like 30 mph and as I slowed down again it would not shift back down until I slowed to a stop and then it would finally shift down and I would feel it shudder as I came to a stop. So, now I am really concerned this deal is not going to clear up and I am going to have to fix my truck just out of warranty, just my luck. Not to mention if it was one year newer I would still be under the powertrain warranty. Anyone have anymore ideas? thanks
Old Tue, August 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

If it works fine when you return to stock, Return it to stock and try and contact Bill.
Old Tue, August 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

SBurn - I followed the link you posted. What a joke. Seems like California is a State that "eats its young", doesn't it? (And I was born there.) Looks like, according to the laws your wonderful legislature has passed, virtually anyone except a current California resident can purchase and register a non-California car in your State.

And I thought the Arizona legislature was bad! (Well, actually, I think they're worse!)

- Jack
Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Bacon King

Quote:
SBurn - I followed the link you posted. What a joke. Seems like California is a State that "eats its young", doesn't it?
- Jack
Ohh, I could go on and on...

Just on things specific to cars: The apparatchiks at CARB have now made it a law that every auto repair facility is now required to check the air pressure on customer's cars.

Now, I'm all for checking tire pressures. The mark of a good repair shop used to be that they would do that and a fluids check without being asked just as a part of normal customer service. But, making is a State law is going way to far. Making it a State law under the guise of reducing greenhouse gases is really just too much.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr032609b.htm

Then there was CARB's idea earlier this year to require automotive paint and windows to reflect a specific amount of solar radiation. Less heat in the interior means less use of air conditioning, and as the theory goes, less fuel used means less greenhouse gases. So, using current paint technology, black or dark colored cars would have been verboten.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints...ation31209.pdf

CARB put that scheme on the back burner after word got out on many automotive blogs and websites.

So for you guys in the other 49 states, remember that much of the silliness that starts in California ends up going Federal. And remember that some of the most powerful representatives in Congress are from California.

Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburn View Post
I suspect all the different calibrations are related to all the possible engine/transmission/driveline choices: 2WD/4WD, 4.6/5.4, Flex Fuel/non-Flex, 49-state/50-state. So with just those options, the matrix is 4^2, or 16 possible combinations just in one model year. Only my guess....
Could possibly be more than that by the time you take into effect all model aspects.
Like 6^4
Lol's

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 05:35 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Oh great! Now Lars is getting "combinatorial"! I might as well quit right now!

And to SBurn - do you get charged for "service" if they put air in your tires (I bet)? It's one way to help a business in this economy, I suppose. That bit about the paint is just over the top, isn't it?

- Jack
Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Bacon King

Quote:

And to SBurn - do you get charged for "service" if they put air in your tires (I bet)? It's one way to help a business in this economy, I suppose.
- Jack
I haven't heard of anybody getting charged for getting air in their tires, at least as a separate line item on a repair order. But I don't know any auto shops in the charity business, so I'm sure the shop owner covers his expenses for this State rule somewhere in the general shop rate.

We also have pay separate "disposal fees" on the used oil they drain out and on the old tires they take off. And, we pay an extra few cents per quart on the new oil and a buck or two per new tire for fund those schemes.

Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Could possibly be more than that by the time you take into effect all model aspects.
Like 6^4
Lol's

Lars
OK, if anybody wants to get pedantic and has a copy of Excel, every blinkin' Ford car and LD truck calibration for the last ten years is shown in the Excel file at the bottom of this page:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...id=calibration

So, count away, gents...

Old Wed, August 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburn View Post
OK, if anybody wants to get pedantic and has a copy of Excel, every blinkin' Ford car and LD truck calibration for the last ten years is shown in the Excel file at the bottom of this page:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...id=calibration

So, count away, gents...

Finally someone comes forward with some hex tables.
Asked PH a month or two ago but.........?
Thank you!!!!!
Oh crap they are in excel.
I will find some way to view them.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.