Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Thu, February 25th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough
Default interesting story about a dead battery

So my battery died the other day because I left my flashers on, and so I had a guy come and jump my truck (yes i used the proper jumping technique). While I turned the ignition key to start it the guy disconnected the cable from the truck. I assume he did this to make sure there was a good connection. I jumped out to see what he was doing and why he did that. before I jumped out I turned the truck off all the way, but when he tried to reconnect the cable the engine started turning over. we all kinda say wtf was that, so i grabbed my keys out of the truck completely and it did it again. so i then put the keys in, turned them to start the truck while the guy connected the cables again, and the truck started right up.
Anyone heard of something like that happening before?
Old Fri, February 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I've NEVER heard of that happening! You MIGHT have a fault somewhere in the starting circuitry, like a "sticking" starter solenoid or something like that. It's the only way I can think that power would get to your starter with the ignition off.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, February 26th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Well I've had something crazy on wiring aswell. I was rewiring my consol to light up another guage I installed. I couldn't figure out why for some reason when I was done everything would work except the guages and their lights. The neon, off road lights and other stuff worked just fine. So I started checking polarity. Everything still checked out except the guages. Both the ground wire and power wire read hot when the switch was on even though it was hooked to the right terminals on the switch. When the switch was off then the ground wire was cold like it was supposed to and the power wire was dead like it was supposed to. Now I'm sitting there scratching my head trying to figure out where I messed up.
I rechecked ALL of my wires and while doing so I accidentally unplugged the main grounding wire from the grounding harness. I noticed that when I flipped the switch again the guages turned on. I then noticed that the ground wire was completely unhooked. For some reason I moved the grounding wire for the guages to the main grounding wire and then everything worked perfectly...even when the main ground wire is disconnected from the frame of the truck. I've checked and rechecked everything but there are no crossed wires that could be acting as a second ground. I also checked to see if I had any of the accessories active (indicating that they were acting as a ground) but so far everything is working like it should. I also went to where the main power connects to the battery and checked to see if there was any flow there but when the switches are off it's all good.
...this truck does so many crazy things I honestly wouldn't be suprised if it turned into a robot like on transformers...they must be related

Here are some pics:
*The first one is from almost a year ago when I only had 4 switches and two 4 by 1/4 inch tubes of neon. Now it has one 10 by 3/8 inch tube of neon that is at least twice as bright.
*The second photo is to show the guages and all 6 switches...yes I know the switches are not in line but I originally drilled the holes one or two at a time thinking that would be the last switch to add.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 switch with weak neon.jpg (40.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg consol v1.07.jpg (33.8 KB, 7 views)