Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Whopper

Ron is on a distinguished road
Default 97-03 Gryphon

I've had my Gryphon installed on my 01 F-150 now for a couple months and still am wondering what the fuss is about.
I am going to keep it though because it has potential as an "instrument cluster". The problem now is where does one find the parameters ie: TFT for tranny fluid temp, etc???

Last edited by Corey Cohron RIP; Sun, June 13th, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I've had my Gryphoney installed on my 01 F-150 now for a couple months and still am wondering what the fuss is about.
I am going to keep it though because it has potential as an "instrument cluster". The problem now is where does one find the parameters ie: TFT for tranny fluid temp, etc???
Have you looked at the owner's manual? And, I don't believe you CAN monitor the TFT in your older model truck, but there are other PIDs you CAN monitor.

What exactly did you expect from a programmer? There were never any claims that it would turn your truck into a drag track star. But, it certainly will improve the shifting characteristics and, in your model year give you a bit of added HP and torque. In my case it also gave me better fuel economy, but that gain is very dependent on one's driving style.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

The tft display hasn't happened yet with everything that's been happening in the last year of PHP's owners.
I'm sure Bill will make it a reality someday.
As far as your gryphons goes;
Do you have canned or custom tunes?
If you do.
Have you tried them out?
There are a lot of happy customers with them, I myself incuded.
Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Whopper

Default Paperweight

I've looked in the back of the book and the other reference as well. It's nice to see all those parameters listed and unfortunate that they can't be used. The book also says there are other parameters built in to the Gryphon. I can read fairly well and follow instructions, however, I don't seem to be able to bring them up on the screen. I knew from the start that the Gryphon was not going to turn my truck into a fire breathing dragon but, for the money I expected something and I got it, a nice, expensive digital instrument cluster. Thanks to all who responded.
Old Thu, May 27th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I used to have an 01 F-150 Screw, and with my gryphon I also did not have the TFT or a few other sensors that are in the manual, but I honestly dont think Ford has those sensors installed in the trucks of that age. i agree that more performance would be nice out of those trucks, and I did notice a little difference, but the largest difference is the shifting strategy was a great improvement.
To find the parameters to display, if i remember right, you need to go to the setup page, click display, click whichever display option you want(2,3, 4 item displays, or others(forgot which because I dont use them)) and then a list should pop up showing what is currently set to display. I use the 4 item display personally because it shows the most so I know what is going on better. To change the display, select the one you want to change, then scroll up or down on the list to find it, then when it is highlighted hit enter then set as display and it should bring you to the actual display and have your selected items displayed. I believe that is what the manual says, but it is in my truck, and my truck is a 10 minute walk(gotta love dorms), so I cant help much more than that.
On another note, I really like the gryphon, and I think that my experience with it so far warrants buying one for every future truck that I own, as long as Bill can program them
Again I hoped that helped a little, and if it didnt, or if it was a repeat of stuff that you already know, then I apoligize . Have a great week
Old Thu, May 27th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I've heard that there isn't the same amount of power increase in that age bracket as the newer ones.

If you need to have the TFT you could get an electrical trans fluid guage for $40. I'm not sure how long it will be until Bill will be able to update the programmers for it and Sunpro has some really cool looking guages.
Old Thu, May 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

The TFT PID is not Bill's doing. He's only able to do what Edge allows him to do and at this point there are no plans for Edge to allow a TFT PID.
Old Fri, May 28th, 2010, 07:21 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Ah yes the CS/CTS is out of Bill's hands and that's up to edge weather or not they want that pid. But........
The original gryphon was to have one added by Bill which hasn't happened yet?
So it up to the OP to come forth and tell us WHICH gryphon version he has.
Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, May 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Whopper

Default Paperweight II

Thanks to one and all for the helpful responses. I think the gent that said there isn't much improvement in an older Ford.
I think the sellers should make mention of this because I could have picked up other "stuff" for almost 5 bills. I'm still having a problem finding usable displays for the gauge, I've pretty well worn out "set up" etc, looking for them to no avail.
Perhaps, someday, all the displays will be available and easier to find. I guess I will just let it sit on my dash for the time being; I'm installing a crate engine probably a year from now and will try to sell it then. Again, many thanks for all the feedback.
Old Fri, May 28th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

PHP does say on their website that the 97-03 F150s do not have the same power gains in the newer F150s. The older trucks usually get up to 15 horsepower increase while the 04 and up get 25 to 35 hp.
power gains.jpg
Power Hungry Performance - Gryphon™ CS & CTS - Gasoline