Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Old Mon, March 28th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Whopper Junior

pearsonrb is on a distinguished road
Default Couple of questions

I have a Gryphon CS in a 2010 F150, 4.6 3V 6 speed auto Supercab w 3.73 limted slip rear end. I'm running on Level 2 - Tow.

1. I replaced the stock 275 65 18 tires with 275 70 18's and keyed in the new size on the programmer. When my truck speedometer reads 68 mph, the Gryphon displays 65. All the tire calculators I've use on the internet say that it should be the other way around, that when the CS says 65 I should see 62-63 on the speedo. Which is right?

2. I was looking at my invoice, and it describes my programmer as having Economy, Tow and C 87 P tunes. But the unit actually shows Trans Only, Towing and Extreme as the tunes. Why is there a difference? (No Economy tune)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Mon, March 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonrb View Post
I have a Gryphon CS in a 2010 F150, 4.6 3V 6 speed auto Supercab w 3.73 limted slip rear end. I'm running on Level 2 - Tow.

1. I replaced the stock 275 65 18 tires with 275 70 18's and keyed in the new size on the programmer. When my truck speedometer reads 68 mph, the Gryphon displays 65. All the tire calculators I've use on the internet say that it should be the other way around, that when the CS says 65 I should see 62-63 on the speedo. Which is right?

The CS does not account for squish, so both are probably 'wrong'. Take the unloaded dimension, multiply by .97, use that as a starting point, and adjust until the CS matches your GPS (or until your odometer matches Google maps or another know distance > 10 miles). The speedometer will likely read 2-3 MPH HIGH even when the CS matches the GPS perfectly. This is due to mechanical variations in the speedometer (and may also be Ford's deliberate method to keep you from getting a ticket).

2. I was looking at my invoice, and it describes my programmer as having Economy, Tow and C 87 P tunes. But the unit actually shows Trans Only, Towing and Extreme as the tunes. Why is there a difference? (No Economy tune)

See bold. BTW, there are lots of threads on adjusting the tire size in the CS and CTS.

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Mon, March 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonrb View Post

What you are currently seeing on the truck's dashboard speedo and the CS is the correct display. The dash speedo reads about 3% higher than it should, due to mechanical errors. BUT, your speed indications may still not be correct. You need to get your CS speed to agree with a GPS, or, get your truck's odometer to match your actual distance driven.

Your display of tunes is probably due to the newer truck and the way the CS is programmed for it. At this time, Edge will not allow Bill to make any adjustments in the transmission for 09+ trucks. The owner's manual was probably updated for that fact, but Edge has not changed the coding in the CS menu accordingly. So, I am certain the Level 1 tune is an "economy" engine tune. Level 2 is tow and Level 3 is performance.

(Looks like shotgun and I were typing at the same time.)

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer