Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Orion Reflash System for Navistar

Orion Reflash System for Navistar Power Hungry Performance is the first in the industry to provide custom tuning
for the 1998 to 2007 Navistar Medium Duty platform!

If you have any questions or would like more information on Orion, please post here.

Old Tue, July 20th, 2021, 01:22 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

What a mess... Good thing you got the skills (and tools) to fix it!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, July 20th, 2021, 03:52 PM
Whopper Junior

KAMcustomsllc is on a distinguished road
Default Our trucks are brothers

I have the same old truck but a little heavier. Full of tools, welder, crane. 4 door with 5 speed and 2 speed rear. Old railroad truck. I replaced the transmission last year because it was jumping out of forth. Wanted a 10 speed but didn’t want to buy a different pto for my crane and compressor so put the same style back in. Adrenaline HPOP and AD injectors. OEM had AB’s in it and was rated at 190 hp. Tried playing with the icp mods and map sensor but eventually bought the Orion. Stage 4 is plenty for 25k lbs on a 260k mile truck. It sits and idles at least 5 hours a day while I’m working off of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D0069180-4238-456D-A84C-659CD86F7D48.jpeg (1.36 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpeg 9EB634B8-658A-4E68-9FE3-08AF66B86427.jpeg (228.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by KAMcustomsllc; Tue, July 20th, 2021 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old Tue, July 20th, 2021, 07:48 PM
Rattletrap driver

Absolution is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMcustomsllc View Post
I have the same old truck but a little heavier. Full of tools, welder, crane. 4 door with 5 speed and 2 speed rear. Old railroad truck. I replaced the transmission last year because it was jumping out of forth. Wanted a 10 speed but didn’t want to buy a different pto for my crane and compressor so put the same style back in. Adrenaline HPOP and AD injectors. OEM had AB’s in it and was rated at 190 hp. Tried playing with the icp mods and map sensor but eventually bought the Orion. Stage 4 is plenty for 25k lbs on a 260k mile truck. It sits and idles at least 5 hours a day while I’m working off of it.
Same exactly even down to the mileage (It was a crane truck) , Mine is an old CSX out of JACK Florida. Today I did play around with the 300hp setting since I have the new turbo hooked up. I touched 1,300 once lugging it in 5th high. If I go back on the turnpike I'm going to drop it back down to 250hp. But after all my fun today I do plan on purchasing a water methanol system.
Old Tue, July 20th, 2021, 08:36 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
Today I did play around with the 300hp setting since I have the new turbo hooked up. I touched 1,300 once lugging it in 5th high. If I go back on the turnpike I'm going to drop it back down to 250hp. But after all my fun today I do plan on purchasing a water methanol system.
1300 on Level 7 while lugging isn't too bad at all. That actually might be a tad better than I would have expected. What RPM were you lugging at? These engines like airflow and, as you well know, the only way to achieve that is with some RPM. Keeping it above 2400 under heavy load will certainly help the EGT issues.

Water/Meth is a good solution for high EGT under heavy load. Use the smallest nozzles possible to keep EGTs in check. I've always liked the setup Snow Performance offered. It is programmable based on boost and/or EGT, and can control two stages. This is the kit I normally install...

Snow Performance Water/Meth Stage 3 Kit

Keep your methanol percentage low... <10% and you'll be fine. It'll give you just enough hit to offset any loss in power from the water, and still drop EGTs pretty well.

Overall, it's looking like you're making headway. Keep us posted as things progress. Always like a good build.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Wed, July 21st, 2021, 06:08 AM
Rattletrap driver

It was in 5th high she started off at 2000 rpm and the foot in the floor the egts were a slow climb so the new turbo is keeping up. She seems like the 300hp would be drivable in the flat. Today I'm thinking of hooking up one of the trailers and putting it under a real load which will give us a better idea.
Old Wed, July 21st, 2021, 08:22 AM

Brilliant! Let me know what your numbers look like. That's handy info.

(678) 890-1110

Old Mon, September 6th, 2021, 07:03 PM
Rattletrap driver

Here We go! Two weekends and non stop from dawn to evening. I got it fired up late last night and today I drove it a bit before I had to get back on the road to travel 5 hours back to work.

The build so far is.
Orion - single shot tunes from PHP running 275hp setting
160/0 injectors from Full Force diesel
Kc300X stage 1
Homemade 4" Downpipe, 5" Donaldson muffler, 4" factory stack
Bellowed uppipes
910 valve springs
ARP head studs
Dual Super Duty pumps - Removed mechanical lift pump
DIY Regulated return with fuel bowl delete (Set at 65-67 PSI)
Hiflow Banjo bolts
CNC Fab Hpop Lines
Riffraff crossover
Some Ebay Plenums

So, This time around with the custom tunes the throttle response seemed to be even better, The truck was also running slightly cooler and cleaner. (Or at least the EGTs were climbing slower.)
The RPM limit seems to of been lowered from 3000 to 2800. But that may have been Bill slowing down the defuel map as before I made comment about the throttle just cutting out instantly when I hit 3000 running through gears.
The cleaner bit may also be from Bill turning down the pre boost fuel. - He may have also done this where I said I wanted to clean up some of the smoke.

The idle seems to be way smoother as well. But That could also be because I found two random reman AD's hiding under a valve cover so maybe one of them was acting up. (Even though with my other tool I passed injector tests multiple times.)

The truck does have a weird cackle now when around 1500ish RPM both through the high idle and computer, as far as the high idle is concerned this maybe the computer trying to catch itself from spinning faster.

It also has a lope almost when you cut out of throttle and let it return to idle almost as if the timing is very advanced (This is an ignorant guess my experience isn't with 7.3s) But I could also guess it maybe because of air still being in the HPOP lines. The truck also takes a minute to start but I'm also very very sure this is from air being in the Hpop lines still. (I really hope that's all it is)

I did also ring the trucks neck once on my dirt road, I got the rear tires to scoot sideway a little when the boost came on. So anything that can do that with a 17,500lb truck has me loving it.

Besides my EGT and boost gauge.
I still need to build my gauge cluster. But I'll wait for that next weekend I'm taking a break. I stand in the sun all week in 90* 80% weather no sitting down till I go to sleep. So driving 5 hours one way and spending weekends standing on a 2" tie rod isn't the most relaxing thing to do.
But I have HPOP, Fuel pressure, oil temp, exhaust pressure I need to install.

EDIT: I don't know why some of the photos are sideways. Sorry tilt your head.
I also want to write emails at some point in time this week to tell each vender I bought from how overall happy I am with the truck. My first impression has been amazing so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210828_085643.jpg (774.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210828_081323.jpg (946.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210829_163907.jpg (935.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210904_141704.jpg (941.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210904_152529.jpg (834.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210904_180658.jpg (1.46 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210906_132007.jpg (1.75 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210906_122703.jpg (1.50 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210906_092843.jpg (1.28 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210906_142321.jpg (1.14 MB, 15 views)

Last edited by Absolution; Mon, September 6th, 2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old Tue, September 7th, 2021, 09:27 AM

Thank you for the feedback. It's super helpful! Let's see if I can satisfactorily address the comments.

First, the cackle you're experiencing may very well be from residual air in the HPO rails. This would also contribute to the slow starting. I would suggest parking on a slight incline, pulling the ICP sensor on the driver's side head, and letting the system "burp". You may even try pouring just a touch of oil in the ICP port to top it off. If you're feeling froggy, you can do the passenger side as well by pulling the forward plug. This should help more quickly alleviate those issues.

As you have surmised, I toned down the fueling a little bit to address your earlier concerns of smokiness and rapid EGT rise. The higher power levels (6 & 7) should still provide a more aggressive fuel curve, if you should so desire to venture into that area. Otherwise, it's running pretty much the way I would have expected.

The only real concern at this point is the loping as you return to idle. This is often caused be a certain amount of gain being applied to the IPR control in order to achieve the ICP desired. Under load, the gain will offset the IPR a specific amount and when you return to idle, the computer need to work the gain back out. This causes that lope you're experiencing. This is indicative of weak HPOP and I would say that once you replace the HPOP, this issue should resolve itself.

We very glad that you are enjoying the setup. The pictures a cool. I really like the plenums you installed. Gives it a nice, clean look.

Keep us posted on further developments. :-)

(678) 890-1110

Old Tue, September 7th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Rattletrap driver

Here is a video of the lope/cackle.
I guess me clipping the video doesn't really show it. But it almost sounds like it's catching itself in person.
I'm all for replacing the HPOP if I need it, I just wish I knew that before I swapped everything over if that is what is wrong with it.
And per my comment last night, It was no where near a major lope, it was just a slight difference in sound if I cut out of the throttle fast.

https://youtu.be/bMCdeDXgBLA

EDIT: Also I am on the level 6 at the moment.

Last edited by Absolution; Tue, September 7th, 2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old Sun, September 12th, 2021, 02:47 PM
Whopper

Veedubfreak86 is on a distinguished road

What pump bracket are you using for the dual SD pump’s