Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, December 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Chris

buzzfx4 is on a distinguished road
Default Cold weather & fuel rates

So it's back to the cold season and with temp's struggling to get out of the upper 20's I'm starting to get that lean drone sound from my CAI and slite sluggishness. I do have custom tunes, but the 87 performance tune I use for my daily driving tune was tuned for more of at speed performance. I do have a 93 go fast tune but 93 octane doesn't do to good in cold weather while tryin to get a decent MPG. Is there any way to adjust normal fuel rates? I know you can adjust WOT fuel but that won't solve the problem, I think.

Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks
Old Sat, December 26th, 2009, 12:21 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

At this time, adjustment of main fuel tables is not possible. Much of the reason is that if we allowed that much control, the EPA would have a fit and poop kittens. As such, we've been limited to WOT fuel adjustments only.

I have considered what it would take to add main fuel control into the programmer, but at this point it's more extensive than our development time will allow. Once we get a few projects ironed out, it's something we certainly would be happy to take a look at.

One thing you might want to try is running the 93 program with an 87/89 octane blend. Once of the things we've seen in the winter time is that the burn rate on the fuel drops due to the cold weather (not to mention winterized fuels) and we've found that a little more aggressive timing curve (or lower octane fuel) often helps improve performance.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, December 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Chris

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give blending the fuel a try. If that doesn't help I guess I will see if I can come up with a way to pull some warmer air of the engine,

Thanks
Old Fri, January 8th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Chris

So, I was finally just able to fill my tank up with the 87/89 blend and change the tune or to the 93 tune. Which I'm very please to say helped with my leanness and the annoying drone of the CAI in this cold weather.

Thanks Bill for the suggestion. Now all I'm wait on is that little trani update.

O yea, one little question, maybe one of the other members might be able to help answer too. Do I have to be worried about detonation when running the 93 tune on lower octane? Or does the thicker, below freezing, colder air equal out the air to fuel range? Also, any suggestion on a air temperature where using the 93 tune and lower octane fuel should be stopped?
Old Fri, January 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzfx4 View Post
So, I was finally just able to fill my tank up with the 87/89 blend and change the tune or to the 93 tune. Which I'm very please to say helped with my leanness and the annoying drone of the CAI in this cold weather.

Thanks Bill for the suggestion. Now all I'm wait on is that little trani update.

O yea, one little question, maybe one of the other members might be able to help answer too. Do I have to be worried about detonation when running the 93 tune on lower octane? Or does the thicker, below freezing, colder air equal out the air to fuel range? Also, any suggestion on a air temperature where using the 93 tune and lower octane fuel should be stopped?
You shouldn't have to worry much about detonation for a couple of reasons.

First, the temperature of the fuel itself and the temperature of the incoming air cause the burn rate of the fuel to be lower. This is the property higher octane fuel has - a slower burn rate than the lower octane stuff. It is not "better" fuel, it just doesn't burn as fast. Rapid burning can cause too much expansion in the cylinders too soon, which works against the motion of the pistons and causes the "pinging" sound.

Second, if "pinging" IS detected, the spark knock sensors will tell the PCM to automatically retard your spark to stop it. Unfortunately, the spark will be retarded too much, and you'll lose some power.

I honestly couldn't tell you when to stop using the "winter" setting though. Maybe sometime towards the end of February?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer