Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, July 11th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Whopper

gusto is on a distinguished road

does it have and affect to the underdrive pulleys, as in power, or just fix the alternator issue
Old Mon, July 11th, 2011, 11:27 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusto View Post
does it have and affect to the underdrive pulleys, as in power, or just fix the alternator issue
You'll just have to understand.....that my truck being a lariat had a lot of electric extras on it both stock and some that I added.....I was one to let my truck idle in the winter also....ya I know that's bad.....but increasing the idle hurt the fuel consumption.....so I got myself one of those overdrive puppies and lowered the idle....I do still have one blank one that was going to get the back machined to match the one I gave back but that never happened.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, July 20th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Whopper

gusto is on a distinguished road

I hear ya, might be good idea for me i let mine idle in the winter and i have hids in headlights and fogs.
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 11:46 AM
ArtieWag

I have done the Troyer electrics fans and underdrive pulleys on my f150 2005 5.4L Lariat. I am not a mechanic, and I did not have a shop full of tools. It was the first mod I ever did on these trucks. Consequently, it took me about 7 hours over 2 days to finish it. It gave me a solid 1.0 mpg increase.

Let me explain: My local NAPA parts store did not have the fan removal tool, and suggested that I just use an impact wrench to remove it. Second NAPA part store said same thing. (I did not fall for that one) But an O’Reillys parts store 20 miles away did, and they rented it to me for free. Get that tool. Makes removal of the old fan EASY, and replacement of the slightly smaller water pump pulley EASY. You will also need a harmonic balancer puller. I bought that one, because they did not have one to rent. I did not get the cheap one. This is what took most of the time - getting the correct tools. Don't forget the laser temp probe. I also used an electric impact wrench for removal and a brand new torque wrench to install the new crankshaft pulley. These items took me to 4 parts shops and 80 miles to find. (I do live in a rural area). These items added $100.00 to my install cost, but I will use them again.

I did the fans and pulleys at the same time, which I think was a good idea. You will need to pull of the old fan no matter what you do, seems a shame to put it back on. The only problem is that I cannot tell what helped my mpg most, the fans or the pulleys. But the combo is good, and makes the truck snappier. (The Boss, who is the daily driver of the truck, tells me that she thinks the front end feels ‘looser’ or ‘lighter’)

I did not post a video, because I understood from the Troyer install directions that I was restricted from doing so.

I am so please that I am also going to do this mod on my 2006 5.4L just after soon as I install the gryphon on it.

Get or rent these:
Fan clutch removal tool,
Harmonic Balancer puller,
Impact wrench,
Torque wrench,
Laser temp probe.

I hope that helps. I was more intimidated than the job requires, and there is no reason to be.