Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Performance Modifications and Other Conversations

Performance Modifications and Other Conversations This is a place where we can have real, honest discussions about all things performance related.

Whether it's power adders, engine parts, configurations, injectors, tuning, or whatever else you can thing of, let's talk about it!

View Poll Results: Was this review helpful
Yes, please add more as you continue to mod your truck. 30 96.77%
No, don't waste server bandwidth. 0 0%
Undecided, I have trouble committing to things. 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sat, September 10th, 2011, 04:25 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

People's experiences vary. My economy improved with the Gotts mod, and, it improved with an Edge and then got a bit better with custom tunes.

One thing, you'll be able to use the "canned tune" Gryphon on BOTH trucks, as long as you return one to stock before moving it to another. So, you'll be able to see what it does for both of them. Once you get custom tunes, it becomes "married" to one vehicle and you lose that choice.

I'd say it's definitely time to change plugs if they have over 100K on them. Use Motorcraft plugs.

If you don't tow, just get an 87 performance custom tune when you make the choice of truck to use it on. Until you get custom tunes, use the Level 2 tow tune as a daily driver. It's a good all-around tune.

If the tires you put on the older truck are larger than OEM, they will probably hurt your mileage. They increase the load on your engine both during acceleration and at cruise, even if the cruising rpms are lower.

- Jack
Old Sat, September 10th, 2011, 06:08 PM
ArtieWag

Thank You! That is just the kind of information that I am looking for.

I will test both trucks with the first programmer, but I really think that I will
get separate ones when I know what I want.

The 06 replacement tires are stock sized, Goodyear Wrangler AT/ S LT 265/75 R18. They haave a tad more aggressive tread than the OEM tires, and they sing a bit. I am hoping for a deep snow storm so that I see what they are really good for.

Thanks for the tip on the plugs.

Is it time to change the exhausts? It is worth it?
Old Sat, September 10th, 2011, 07:22 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

An exhaust change is not going to do anything for your mileage, but it CAN change the sound. A couple of the other Mods on this forum (cleatus12r and 88Racing) know more about exhausts than me though, as does Bill. I'm really only "parroting" what I've learned from them. (I think I've got it right.)

If your ties have a more "aggressive tread" they probably have more rolling resistance. Cold inflate them to the max pressure shown on the sidewall. That may help some.

- Jack
Old Sun, September 11th, 2011, 07:30 AM
ArtieWag

OK. I have always known that exhaust changes, at least exhaust headers, will improve the performance and power of the motor. That has to translate to better MPG. I think a less restrictive muffler may help MPG also. What keeps me from changing these components is that I DO NOT want any extra 'sound', I hear that as just unwanted noise and droning.

In the past, I have had some success with water injection in carberated motors. That just made a 10% improvement, (big deal 10 MPG to 11 MPG ) in 1975 350 2bbl Ch**y truck. I just think a good water injection system is hard to find for the F150.
Old Mon, September 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
ArtieWag

Default Aerodynamics Anyone?

I know this is a "Power Hungry" forum, but... I just wish to deal with adults here, and not someone who wants me to drive a different kind of vehicle. I own two f150's. Because they 'fit' me.

Does anyone have any good information on bed covers, air dams, wheel covers, etc. that have improved mpg? I have installed soft bed covers on my trucks, but they seemed to reduce mpg slightly. They have made the trucks more useful, so I have kept them on.

Yes, I have searched the internet on this topic, and all I can tell you is that other people hate F150s and we as their owners are obvious morons. I hope that is not the case here.

More Power, applied correctly, less drag, more MPG.
Old Mon, September 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieWag View Post
I know this is a "Power Hungry" forum, but... I just wish to deal with adults here, and not someone who wants me to drive a different kind of vehicle. I own two f150's. Because they 'fit' me.

Does anyone have any good information on bed covers, air dams, wheel covers, etc. that have improved mpg? I have installed soft bed covers on my trucks, but they seemed to reduce mpg slightly. They have made the trucks more useful, so I have kept them on.

Yes, I have searched the internet on this topic, and all I can tell you is that other people hate F150s and we as their owners are obvious morons. I hope that is not the case here.

You won't find any F150 "haters" here, but you MIGHT find some that prefer the bigger cousins.

I'm a little surprised that a bed cover (tonneau style) would reduce your fuel efficiency. I would expect efficiency to improve or at least remain constant. But you might be getting a slight increase in skin friction drag over the bed with a soft cover, compared to a "hard" tonneau).

I'd think a "smooth" wheel cover would reduce some drag in that area, but I have no data to back that up. I doubt the difference would be significant though.

I don't think an air dam will help at all. I see it as increasing the frontal area of the truck, which is already a major factor in creating drag.

I think if you lower the truck, it might help some with fuel efficiency, but you'd reduce the truck's utility.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, September 12th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieWag View Post

Dont worry about Ford bashing here. PHP only does tuning on Fords so a Chevy guy would be outnumbered quite a bit and any brand bashing could be removed if it didn't have any logical basis in the conversation. BUT I dont find the new F150s to seem all that aerodynamic (an example of logical connection)

I do not have any solid numbers but I can give you plenty of opinions based on observations I have made.

Theoretically a bed cover should improve your mileage but the difference would be less noticeable than that of comparing cheap gas to top quality gas, something that I have found to be one of the largest differences in my truck. Also, you are adding weight when you compare the two conditions? When you compare before and after, is it empty bed before/empty bed after?

Air dams, you could possibly see an improvement. If it blocked the majority of airflow over the grille then you would most likely see higher operation temps. If you still have the coldest possible air coming in, and a higher temp engine, again theoretically you should see an improvement under responsible driving conditions. Some factors that might inhibit this would include higher engine temps causing the fan to engaged more often, a noticeable drag on the engine. I do know that it does have an effect on top speed but I'm not sure if it would have a large enough effect on the constant operation to improve mileage. If you are nearly 100% driving above 60ish mph (the point where wind resistance is said to start taking its toll) then it may help. I do find it interesting you mentioned it because one of the major car brands (can't remember which) has an air dam that automatically deploys to cover the grille area when it reaches highway speeds. It supposedly increases efficiency. I do not know if increases speed efficiency through a smoother wind profile or engine efficiency of warmer under hood temps. May be both may be neither.

Wheel covers, if you can get it to come down around the fender to cover the tire/rim then I'd imagine it would. You just run into a major problem in the front. Turning would be nearly impossible because the tire extends outside of the body profile. Back fender shouldn't be a problem though. I have seen that used on earlier "eco" cars. Just make sure it would be removable in case you have a flat or something. If you are talking about the fenders that come out like fender flares, I'm willing to guess that they would make mileage fractionally worse by decreasing aerodynamics. The front would form a pocket that could cause slight vacuum and the back portion would act as a dead end air scoop and form a slightly pressurized pocket, both pockets would act as resistance. The fender pockets would not be major pressure points so it is hardly a drop in the bucket from a practical standpoint.
***Note: I'd be willing to bet that putting a fiberglass belly covering that resembles the lower shielding on rally cars would greatly improve aerodynamics by reducing drag from all the stuff hanging down underneath. Fiberglass would be easy to form, easy to fix, weigh very little and be relatively cheap. You will just need to consider flexing (suspension and frame), heat and moving parts.

As Jack said, you could lower it but you lose some of the utility traits, I don't fully agree. In the case of heavy pulling or moving over rough terrain it may be accurate but I can tell you that lowering the truck makes it a much easier to load and unload things from the bed. Adding a 2.5" leveling kit to the front actually brought my tailgate down a little bit (see-saw angle effect). When I'm not hauling kayaks or fishing equipment I use my trail bike for around town commuting so my truck ALWAYS has something in the bed that I am putting in and taking out. After 2+ years since putting that on I am still glad for the slight drop. It lowered my tailgate about an inch so that is one less inch I have to lift everything. Or in other words, lowering may improve efficiency and utility.
Old Tue, September 13th, 2011, 11:30 PM
ArtieWag

Question

Thank You. Yep, I have learned that a good quality gas keeps up my MPG. I only run premium on long, over the road, all day trips. Seems like that is the best bang for the buck. The trucks I have are Flex Fuel vehicles, but the price of ethanol is the same, or only 10% less, than a good quality gas. For alcohol to be 'worth the burn' it would need to be 30% less in cost. Just does not happen. Maybe a tune from PHP will help with that cost equation?

I know we drive bricks, but I don't have to be a stupid brick do I? When I look at other vehicles that need economy, I notice wheel skirts or fender skirts, only on the rear. Have not found any for the 2005 and 2006 model years. Also, a big plate for a wheel cover may help. I sure do not want to keep the disk brakes from cooling off, though. I always assume that the Ford engineers know what they are doing; I just can't always figure it out. After closer looks at the front of the trucks, I see that there is already a small 'air dam' in the front, would more help? I probably will not put one on that will scrape concrete parking space dividers, or one that is lower than the underneath components of the truck. I am with you on the fiberglass belly, but mine would just fill up with rocks and dirt from the dirt roads that I have to travel. It would almost have to be metal, something that would bend and not shatter or snap. Might make my exhaust a little warm. But like Jack said, it may just not be worth it.

I do have 18 inch wheels on these trucks, and I like the fact that they ride higher, and the 'command' seating. But I have to climb into and out of that bed.

As far as weight in the truck, somehow my wife always gets better mileage that I do. And it depends on who looks at the scale, but I out weigh her somewhere between 50 to 100 lbs. That little bit does seem to make a difference. All my MPG figures are generally over thousands of miles, and not the 'instantaneous' kind.

An update on my Gotts Mod CAI. - Perhaps it takes longer that I think for the computer to 'learn' the new settings, something called a 'drive cycle'? And my mpg is still a little lower than before - but the truck will PASS! whew! And cruising at 80 MPH I still get 16.5 MPG avg.

An update on my Troyer underdrive pulleys. - In the 100 degree plus weather the AC runs a little warmer at idle. And a hard, really fast, 90 degree turn at low speeds, say like in a parking lot, is pretty stiff in the steering wheel - not unexpected for me, but others should know. None of that will happen at any speed higher than idle.

How about a radical idea? Change the rear pinion gear ratio? I have the 3.73 now. Of course, I have the 4x4 models, so it would double my cost, but why not a 3.15 or 3.08. I know this gets tricky, and I do not want to lug down the truck to decrease my MPG, but has anyone done this? I see plenty of people going to lower gears, like the 4.10, but higher? (Be kind, this is just one of many considerations for MPG improvements)

And I am not going to give up the utility of my 4x4 pickup. I am just not a weekend mudder or an urban low rider. I want to go over any road (or almost road - like say, will I fit through it?), at any time, in any weather. Even wet pastures. And come back over the same route. I have even used my truck to pull out my stuck 4 wheel drive tractor. I like my utility vehicle.
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

When I put fuel quality I was meaning by brand, if you run premium with the truck tuned for 87 the majority of the fuel properties are not being taken advantage of. Raising the timing a few degrees would help. As the price of gas has gone up I have switched over from the cheapest fuel to brands like Shell. Already my mileage is improving along with overall performance like a smoother idle. When I see a 5 cent difference I really see (.05/3.xx) or less than 2% cost increase. The switch to higher grades will probably be coming because it will be more cost effective to use them as the % price difference narrows.

I dont think they make the wheel skirts for these trucks because it would not be very "popular" and the wheel covers may help if you find some that still have openings because like you mentioned the brakes need to be easy to cool.

Air dam under the bumper I was thinking you were talking about a grille cover. I'm sure the skirt would help.
I figure those rally cars see more gravel, mud and dirt in one race than you do in a month. If you leave openings it should help some of it come back out. It also doesn't have to be a full covering. You could stop at the tranny.

My AC doesn't do much at idle, guess I need to recharge it. But that is part of UDPs. They lower the gear ratios for the accessories.

For gears, do not go below 3.55 if you want to keep any useful towing capacity.

You should look into lowering shackles in the back. It will not make the truck useless because you can still tow somewhat lighter loads with them. If you still need to tow heavy trailers you can look into helper springs, air bags, etc. I've seen them put on trucks and it brings the back in line with the front. It also lowers your tailgate a few inches.

Overall, your driving style has much more say in mileage than mods. If you are on the highway, drop it down to 65 rather than 70. If you are in the city, both Jack and I have found that giving it more gas to get up to speed then backing off to maintain improves mileage more than granny driving it with turtle slow acceleration.
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM
PHP Groupie

I'll add a couple of things. I think an air dam under the bumper is somewhat problematic. (And I thought that was what you were talking about, although I didn't understand you were talking about fender skirts - shades of the 50s)! An air dam is going to increase your frontal area. This increases the "flat plate" air drag on your vehicle. But, it reduces the airflow under the vehicle which is quite turbulent. It would possibly be a "wash", but my gut feeling is that it would increase overall drag.

Fender skirts would help a little bit, I suspect, but I would not be able to stand the "look".

I would NOT go to a reduced gear ratio. Yes, the engine will cruise at a reduced RPM, but the engine load is increased. You reduce the effective force (against the ground) that the engine can exert to get you up to speed and keep you at a cruising speed by doing this. The only way to get that "required" force back is by giving the engine MORE fuel at the lower RPMs.

Your Wife may "coast" for a longer period when coming to a stoplight or other stopping situation. Any way you can reduce the use of brakes is going to help your mileage, while possibly making people behind you angry. Interestingly, Janet uses her brakes more than me, and it drives me crazy to ride with her.

Lowering/leveling would probably help. Again, it has the effect of reducing the overall frontal area effect.

I assume you are using a "high-octane" tune if you're using premium fuel? If not, you are wasting gas. You MIGHT try increasing the timing ever so slightly if you have that capability in your programmer. My understanding is the CS/CTS platforms don't give you that option (and I've never looked for it on mine). But, if you can, try +0.25 degree increments and TEST!

- Jack