Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Whopper Junior

2Tall is on a distinguished road
Default Questions before ordering

I looking at ordering my Gryphon as soon as next but have some questions first.

1. When I place my order with custom tunes does when does the unit its self ship? Like next day or two or does it come after the tunes are written.

2. I pretty sure I understand the order forum, but what is this hex code thing I keep reading about? Where do/how do I find it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Welcome to the world of programmers!

Your Gryphon will normally ship within about 48 hours of PHP receiving your order, I think (provided PHP has the unit you need in stock - they maintain a fairly small inventory).

But, since Bill and Corey are on a much needed vacation right now, I doubt it will ship until after they return, on or about the 28th of September. So, I'd guess on a shipment date of around Oct 1 if the unit is available and they're not too overwhelmed with "fires" when they return.

However, they've got a sale going on right now that runs through the 28th, so you'd save $40 by ordering before the 28th (which is a good deal in my book).

When you receive it, it has three "canned" tunes installed on it, so you can start "playing" right away. The canned tunes improve the performance of any truck and to me, they were worth the price of the programmer.

You won't know your hex code till you plug your programmer into your truck for the first time. It will show up on the Gryphon's screen then, so write it down, send it to Corey and include it in your UserCP information in this forum. Bill can't write any custom tunes till he has your hex code, so you need to make sure he has it.

Once you have the unit, you can decide what tunes you want customized. I have two - a towing tune and an 87 octane performance/economy tune. I've left the 91+ octane tune alone - it's still the canned tune and I've never used it.

Hope this helps.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, September 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Royal Red Lariat

kubota7300 is on a distinguished road
Question canned vs custom

I am very new to the tuner thing.
What is different in a custom tune - is it because after connecting to the truck's computer it can then be more precisely tuned?
Thanks for any help and please feel free to add any info that I need to know.
I have a 2009 F-150 and after seeing the dyno sheets for the new programmer - I think I am going to have to get one of them whenever they come out.
Are the dyno sheets from a canned tune or from a custom tune?
Old Wed, September 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubota7300 View Post
I am very new to the tuner thing.
What is different in a custom tune - is it because after connecting to the truck's computer it can then be more precisely tuned?
Thanks for any help and please feel free to add any info that I need to know.
I have a 2009 F-150 and after seeing the dyno sheets for the new programmer - I think I am going to have to get one of them whenever they come out.
Are the dyno sheets from a canned tune or from a custom tune?
A canned tune can work on any vehicle that the programmer is for, but a custom tune is made to just fit your vehicle. Its made to fit your driving habits, and just all around a big difference over the canned tunes. There is so many more factors that can be tweeked on the canned tune to make the custom tune for your truck.

Im not sure on what graphs you are referring to, so I dont know.
Old Wed, September 23rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Kabuta7300

Canned tunes fit a lot of trucks for what a programmer/tuner is designed for.

Custom tunes uses your trucks own calibration code(hex). It is very specific and those tunes cannot be run on any other truck unless it has the same hex code. They are written for you and your truck.

The difference is like comparing a one size fits all suit or going to a taylor and getting a suit to fit you.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.