Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Whopper

agood1 is on a distinguished road
Default Just bought a used Gryphon....

I just purchased a used Gryphon programmer from a local guy. He said Bill did some live tuning with him and his truck. I assumed I could not use these custom tunes....so I downloaded Pegasus and did a firmware and calibration update..There appeared to be 3 version update available so I took the latest one. Hope that was the correct one.

Is it safe to use in my truck now?

Do I need to send in the hex code for future reference? If so, how do I get that code without plugging it into my truck?

Thanks
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

What truck do you have?
And from what I have seen(im just a new guy here too) you need to plug in the gryphon into your truck to get the hex code, but you only need it if you are going to have Bill do a custom tune for your truck. You can use the gryphon without custom tunes(im doing that now til i can get some more $$) without any damage to the truck versus using stock tunes.
For the version you downloaded i dont know why that wouldnt be the best version to use, so I assume you are fine with using that. I would for sure call PHP for any other questions, they are really great at answering phones now
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Go ahead and apply any updates for pegasus and then do the gryphon updates. After that it will be safe to plug the programmer into your truck. One of the first screens that come up will have your hex code. Go ahead and write that down. Also fill out your user cp. You do not NEED to have the hex code unless you plan on ordering custom tunes.
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
I just purchased a used Gryphon programmer from a local guy. He said Bill did some live tuning with him and his truck. I assumed I could not use these custom tunes....so I downloaded Pegasus and did a firmware and calibration update..There appeared to be 3 version update available so I took the latest one. Hope that was the correct one.

Is it safe to use in my truck now?

Do I need to send in the hex code for future reference? If so, how do I get that code without plugging it into my truck?

Thanks
We need a teeny bit more information to be able to answer you. Did you and the other guy have the same model year truck "families" - I'm asking, do you and he have 04-08 trucks or, 97-03 trucks? If they are in the same group, I think you are good to go.

Interesting that there were three version updates - the latest would be the ones you want. AND, if you updated the calibrations in Pegasus, you are back to "canned" tunes, and you need to be in this state.

So, assuming you have the same age group trucks, you can simply turn the ignition key in your truck to ON (don't start the engine) and plug the Gryphon in. (The key HAS to be ON when you connect the Gryphon or it won't boot properly.)

From this point, you can program your truck to any of the 3 canned tunes on the Gryphon. I recommend the Level 2 "tow" tune, unless you are using 91+ octane gas. The Level 2 tune is an excellent daily driver tune and I think you'll like how it feels. Don't do any "Custom Tuning" when this is offered. Let it just load the canned tune.

If the Gryphon is from a different year group than your truck, it won't work until Bill does some magic, for a price. Sorry!

But, I'm assuming they are from the same year group - so hit [Menu]->[Diagnostics]->[Tech Support]->[Vehicle Info] and ignore any warning messages you might see. I seem to remember you have to get past the first screen you see here by hitting [Enter] and then you see a value of 7 letters and digits ending in ".hex". Mine is "RXCM5E4.HEX" and yours should have a similar form. That's the "hex" code you need.

I think the previous screen had the Gryphon Serial Number, so write that down too. You will need both when you contact PHP for custom tunes.

In the meantime though, just drive the truck on Level 2 and enjoy the improved shifting response, power and possibly better fuel economy!

Edit: I got sidetracked, so these two youngsters beat me to a reply. As you can see, I like to talk more. I also forgot you will see your hex code when you first connect the Gryphon - old age I guess.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Whopper

Thanks for the replies. I tried to call PHP several times yesterday before I went to purchase the tuner, but got no answer.

It is from the same series truck, mine is an 06, his was an 08. I did all the updates on it....and took it out and plugged it into the truck and it seemed to work fine. I have not driven it yet.

Question, are the canned tunes from Gryphon any better than the canned ones from Edge?
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 07:55 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Yes.
Level 1 canned tranny only is the same as edge.
Level 2 canned tow Bill has tweeked to run a bit richer to help with people who previously installed CAI's and need/want to use a tune while they wait for their custom tunes.
Level 3 canned performance is tweeked by Bill also but its not recommended to use with a CAI.
CAI=cold air intake.
Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Whopper

OK, I don't have a CAI, but I do have a catback Magnaflow exhaust....so level 2 should be what I use for now?
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 08:27 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

You can use whatever level you want.
Just make sure to use 87-89oct gas for level 2 and 91-93oct gas for level 3.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Whopper

OK, thanks for all the info. Where is the best place to read up on custom tunes?
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Actually this forum is the best place because any question you can think of has probably been answered one way or another here.