Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Whopper

97f150kid is on a distinguished road
Help Help! I think the Gryphon died

Well Got in my truck this morning, ( its been sitting for about a week, drive a car most of the time) and turn the key to see the Screen not come to life. ( its been quite cold the last few days here, one of the days was a high of -5 ) Checked the ODBII port fuse, good. Unplug and plug-in the cable three different times ( key off, key-on engine off, engine running ) and nothing. Called my local edge dealer and asked if i could use a brand new in box cable to see if I have a bad cable. still nothing. Truck is now stuck on custom lvl 2, with no way to change it back to stock . Bill or anyone ever run into this issue? When i connect the programmer to the computer it does light up green/red when pegasus is "talking" to it. ANY help or incite is greatly appreciated Thank you,

Mason
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 06:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Mason, if Pegasus is able to communicate, I can't see that your Gryphon is damaged. But, I suspect it's not booting properly due perhaps to the cold and, a low battery condition.

Starting the truck in extreme cold after it's been sitting a long time will almost guarantee low voltage during the start, which makes the Gryphon think it's been unplugged. Then, when the truck starts, since it's already plugged in, it doesn't reboot.

Now, you said you tried the various plugin combinations, but was the Gryphon warm or was it still cold soaked?

If you haven't tried it already, keep the Gryphon inside the house overnight to get it nice and warm. And, if there's any way to do so, have your battery tested. It should show a no-load voltage of about 12.7V if it's fully charged. A load test is best to determine condition. With the engine running, a voltage test on the battery terminals should show 13.8-14.2V if the alternator is good.

Anyway, with a good battery and the key ON, try plugging the Gryphon in when it's all warmed up.

And just to make sure you checked the proper fuse, does the cigarette lighter still work? If it doesn't, the OBD fuse is blown.

Maybe, since you have an older truck, the OBD cable itself needs to be warm too. There are electronics in the plug end.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, January 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Whopper

Ill have to test the battery tomorrow at work. I will keep the Programmer & cable inside for the night to see if it helps. When i tried the various cable attempts the truck was kind of warm. Yes to the cig. lighter working. Any other ideas? Ill have results of the "let it warm up over night" test tomorrow.
Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Whopper

Default Update

After a nice warm soak indoors for the night ( cable and programmer ) and a charger on the battery all night, the battery is good and it still doesnt work.
Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 10:25 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

OK, this is really beginning to sound to me like a cable problem, although in your first post, did you say you actually tried it with a new cable? If so, it's not that.

Another possibility is something got corrupted in the firmware, which Bill can fix. Having your truck at Level 2 complicates things, but Bill can work around it. I have to think your screen driver's fine if it lights up when connected to the PC.

You'll need to submit a trouble ticket: Support Login That's the best way I know of to get things working now.

- Jack
Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
OK, this is really beginning to sound to me like a cable problem, although in your first post, did you say you actually tried it with a new cable? If so, it's not that.

Another possibility is something got corrupted in the firmware, which Bill can fix. Having your truck at Level 2 complicates things, but Bill can work around it. I have to think your screen driver's fine if it lights up when connected to the PC.

You'll need to submit a trouble ticket: Support Login That's the best way I know of to get things working now.

- Jack
yea i know, i was a beta tester for edge for a while and ran into the cable issue, almost identical, but when i switched the cable then with a known good, it worked no problem. I cant update the firmware/calibration while in a tune can i? (ive never done it since i got the programmer ) I did email bill almost word for word my first post to see if he can do anything about it, as i wasnt sure how much he was on here. Thanks for your help Jack!
Old Thu, January 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97f150kid View Post
yea i know, i was a beta tester for edge for a while and ran into the cable issue, almost identical, but when i switched the cable then with a known good, it worked no problem. I cant update the firmware/calibration while in a tune can i? (ive never done it since i got the programmer ) I did email bill almost word for word my first post to see if he can do anything about it, as i wasnt sure how much he was on here. Thanks for your help Jack!
Bill may not see the email - there's too many things competing for his time, that's why I gave you the trouble ticket link.

As far as I know, you're right, you can't update the firmware while in a tune. But, Bill CAN work magic in that respect. He can also give you a stock writer setting to return your truck to stock so you'll be able to start over once you're fixed.

- Jack