Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Whopper

Shorse is on a distinguished road
problem

So i had been driving around with the stock tune all day yesterday just to make my self feel better about spending 400 bucks on this programer. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I will never go back...

well I program it when i get to school.. go to do the custom settings, and instead of reading 3.55 for gearing or 2424 for tire size... all it showed was +1 or -1... once it went up it would not come back down... so i hit menu to get out of it... Once i went into everything, it all looked different, so i turned the key off... then back on to try again.. same thing, so i programed any way with the previously loaded settings...

i go to drive ita few hours later.. it moved out of the parking spot, then it felt like it went into neutral, and my speedo was reading 120 and the gryphon was yelling at me telling me my speed was 120 cause i set it to warn me when i go over 70... i hit the brakes, and it droped back to 0... i then could hit the gas, and it would move 5 feet and shoot back up to over 100.....

so i pull over, turn it off, and back on... give it gas and she moved, with quite a bit of balls, felt normal... then it got above 5 mph and i lost all power.... it felt like the truck turned off, i went to turn it back on, and it was still running...

so i get out of the parking lot ( i was blocking traffic getting a lot of honks), pull over and set back to stock.... give her gas, and all is well....

i get a mile from my house and say WTH, i'll try it again... went to level 2 again, custom tuning ( axle, tire size) all were normal 3.55 and 2424 not +1 or +2 like before... so i went through and re-programed it AGAIN....

now it is fine...

However i just realized i need to go to the dealer Friday for warranty work, and will need to go through this all over again...

is this a 1 time deal, or do i need some type of update?

The truck was fully warmed up, all power sucking things were off... battery is fine... The truck is a 06 f-150 5.4 4x4 XLT ..
Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Well this is the first time I have read of a problem like that, but I would definitely say that is not normal...something must have went on with the customs options.
Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Whopper

blackfx4ny is on a distinguished road

That's crazy, definitely something for Bill. I switch between tunes pretty regularly and have never had this kind of problem. Glad you got it working again though.
Old Tue, March 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Yea, I've never heard of anything like this either. I go back and forth all the time between a towing tune and a non-towing one - no problems.

Sorry, this one is DEFINITELY for the Mad Doctor! Bill, I don't see how you stand it!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, March 4th, 2009, 12:01 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

When you changed the custom options, was it during the very first programming session or was it a subsequent session?

If you don't mind, please provide the HEX code so I can take a program a PCM and see what's going on. Also, the exact order you did everything (if you can remember).

I doubt that it would ever happen again but I'd like to take a closer look.

Thanks.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, March 4th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
When you changed the custom options, was it during the very first programming session or was it a subsequent session?

If you don't mind, please provide the HEX code so I can take a program a PCM and see what's going on. Also, the exact order you did everything (if you can remember).

I doubt that it would ever happen again but I'd like to take a closer look.

Thanks.
i was in the stock tune, went to program, level 2... yes to customize. When i clicked on gear ratio, it sid +1.. i clicked up and it went to +2... so im wondering what that is about, it should say 3.55 or the like... so i push down, it does nothing, so i hit menu to go back... went to tire size... same thing... then i knew something was wrong, so i turned the truck off, let the gryphon turn off for a few secconds... then restarted it.... same thing... this time i programed restoring previous settings... it did it's thing, "COMPLETE" i turn the key off and go inside for 2 hours... come out and it does what i said...

almost like the speed limiter kicked in when it thought i went over 120 and killed the transmission power.... cause it felt like when i went to accelerate, the clutch got pushed in, and i lost all throttle control...

in hindsite... i have NEVER seen my speedo go from 5-120 that fast before... a .5 seccond 0-60 shown on the screen doing the test would be sweet! i will check it today for a record speed and see if it counted it...

the Hex code, was the code i got when i pluged the gryphon in the first time right? it wont change if i dont let the dealer touch it?

if so it is;

TEJF3PZ.HEX

if it does it again, anything i can do to reset it back to normal... i did not try to unplug it...
Old Wed, March 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Whopper

record speed... 126... same as my speed limiter....

the rpms were low... like an idle... when i had the gas pressed and i was going 120 mph... (really like 3)

today it ran like a top.... 0-60 in 7.8 secconds.... hardest part is stoping the wheels from spinning, gotta ease into it, but ease to slow and the numbers suck....

i got my gryphon just before x-mas... any new updates?
Old Thu, March 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'll have to check the documentation, but as a general rule you should NOT use the custom options the first time you program the vehicle. The reason is that there is no calibration data stored in the unit at this time and the custom options routines do not have anything to go off of and the data is (for lack of a better term) corrupt. After the very first programming session, you can then use the custom options with no problem. This appears to be what happened to you and you should not have this problem any further.

This is obviously a bug in the firmware and we'll get it fixed.

Outside of that, if you purchased your programmer after 12/03/2008 then there are no updates at this time.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Thu, March 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Whopper

i have had it on level 2, 3,1 a few times....

this is not the first time switching back from stock...

So from now on, i will go a plain level 2, then program... then go back and program the custom stuff and reprogram it?
Old Thu, March 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Unless you are removing the unit from the vehicle or need to go to the dealer for some reason, you should never have to go back to stock. All you are accomplishing by doing that is quadrupling your programming times. You shouldn't have any problem switching between levels 1, 2, and 3 any time you like. If you are having problems, I need to be made aware of it so we can resolve it.

Take care.

(678) 890-1110