Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip

Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip The Power Hungry Performance Hydra Multi-Position Chip is the industry standard for the 7.3L!

Redesigned from the ground up, the Hydra Chip provides Ford owners with a feature packed,
high quality, and low cost alternative to other existing modules on the market today.

Old Thu, February 11th, 2021, 06:44 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
Default Just an FYI with no real rush.

It's been brought to my attention that the TNAA4Y2 calibrations in Hydraflash have messed-up shift points causing an up-down-up-down problem when accelerating on the 65 HP and up calibrations.

I think the guy bought the chip through RiffRaff and he's already been told that he should just spend more money on custom tunes. That kind of defeats the purpose behind getting "the library" as a bonus to purchasing the chip.
Old Fri, February 12th, 2021, 10:31 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I'll give it a look. The shift points for TNAA4N2 and TNAA4Y2 are identical (as the calibrations are identical) and I don't recall anyone having complained about the shifting on the California (TNAA4N2) versions. I wonder if there is something specifically with the Excursions that mechanically may be different.

What's odd is that it only happens with 65+ HP tunes since the shifting generally isn't much different between the different calibrations until you hit the 120 HP program.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, February 12th, 2021, 11:45 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I asked him to download the TNAALY3 calibrations as I see they're available. They are working fine for him although it's not one of the calibrations with a large list of options.

EDIT:

Just throwing it out there, but if you're busy I know where the problem lies and can fix it if you want. I actually still have an old PHP thumb drive that had a couple Phoenix calibrations on it that didn't get deleted when I used it as a backup for my old original laptop. I hadn't done anything with that flash drive in about 8 years.

The shift points in the one file I hadn't deleted (80P) were vastly different than stock and the downshift speed was actually above the upshift speed by .5 MPH if my memory from last night is correct. The problem shouldn't occur at higher APP but slow acceleration would be where the problem lies.
Old Fri, February 12th, 2021, 11:58 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Here's the thread. There was another person with the same issue who got involved. I don't know his backstory or when his problems were observed.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...dra-tunes.html
Old Fri, February 12th, 2021, 05:20 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I guess I may have gotten ahead of myself here. I have a 2002 F250 at work (obviously not a 50 state emissions truck but I can get it warm first) but I threw a few of the said calibrations on a Hydra yesterday and I was hoping to verify the problem on Monday when I go back - since I didn't know when I'd get in touch with you. Now Hydraflash doesn't operate so I can erase it and I get some error message.

Anyhoo...I know it's 6:00 PM where you are. Have a great weekend!
Old Fri, February 12th, 2021, 07:45 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

You know, I just did a whole bunch of thinking and trying to remember just how convoluted and complicated the process used to be to get Phoenix chips shipped out of here. I had to dig way back in the dusty corners of my mind for it.

I might be missing a few steps but I remember it was a tedious process!

1. Log into remote computer.

2. Get to the order forms and write down the customer vehicle information. I had literally FOUR full-size notebooks full of names, email addresses, and calibration information; each one took up four lines of wide-ruled front and back - so long as nothing custom was needed. No security worries though as every one of them was used to start a fire in the woodstove.

3. Go to the 32k files and dig out appropriate calibrations. If it happened to be a custom tune, it was written at that time.

4. Load them into the utility that turned them into Phoenix-size calibrations.

5. Save an e-mail of each calibration in the drafts folder along with a copy of the invoice and build sheet and then log off of the remote desktop.

[Ahhhhh. No more click latency due to remote desktopping after this point]

6. Open email on my computer at home and save the calibrations.

7. Open PhoenixFlash.

8. Spend 5:52 per chip erasing and programming. The most difficult part here is that I found that multi-tasking the computer during the process would result in errors and there is no continuing with a botched programming session.....start all over (usually ftom position 5 or 6 because, well Murphy). Sometimes the errors would happen anyway and sometimes I'd forget if I changed the position or not before programming the next position. I'd know as soon as I hit the spacebar! Long beep and the red "Programming Error" message. SHIIIIIIII!!!

9. Package the chip. I got good at folding small flat-rate boxes!

10. Repeat. Although I did manage to save time by doing large batches of calibrations at once and then emailing numerous customers' calibrations in 2-3 emails.

You know, those were good times although I do like getting greasy and dirty just a touch more than staring at a computer screen.
Old Fri, February 12th, 2021, 09:34 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Now Hydraflash doesn't operate so I can erase it and I get some error message.

Anyhoo...I know it's 6:00 PM where you are. Have a great weekend!
What's going on with Hydraflash?

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!