Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Whopper Junior

bubbabowman is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 fx4

i have a 2003 fx4 with a 5.4 already have exhaust gotts mod and electric fans wondering some other upgrades i can do? thinking throttle body and intake? open to other ideas just looking for some more hp
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

For the intake, unless you want to spend some big bucks, just stick with the gott's mod. If you do want to spend some big bucks go for a Supercharger or Turbo. Exhaust wise, you can do a rear catalytic converter delete fairly easily, if it is legal in your area, and you can do long headers with a custom exhaust too if you have the money for it.
I'm sure there are other things, but those seem like the most common for performance upgrades.
One more upgrade that is cheap and semi-easy is Underdrive pulleys, Troyer performance has them for your truck and they add maybe 12-15 hp and 1 mpg or so depending on your driving habits.
Hope I helped!
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Whopper Junior

bubbabowman is on a distinguished road

id like to not supercharge or turbo it yet id like it keep it reliable and good mpgs would a lightening intake and throttle body help out any?
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I personally don't think that the upgrade is worth the price, I just pulled a lightning intake up and it costs about $200, you get most of that performance with just the gotts mod, but with a different TB then yes it would help, but I am not sure how much actual performance you would see for the price you would spend on the upgrades... but that is just my opinion.
If it is worth it to you, do that, and the UDP's, and you should get some more power, but I would be surprised if 40hp more made it to the wheels