Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Double Whopper

NITEMARE07 is on a distinguished road
Default octane booster

So i've heard a lot of old school guys mention using moth balls in the gas tank to boost octane in carbeurated vehicles. Does this really work and would it work for the 5.4's? Not sure if this has any negative effects on the motor.
Old Wed, April 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Nope....it dont work....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, April 26th, 2012, 07:00 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Just to expand on that a little more:

Increasing the octane level of the fuel by itself will do NOTHING in terms of performance (on a carburetted OR fuel injected vehicle) and in many cases will actually cause a LOSS of performance if no other steps are taken to take advantage of the anti-knock properties of higher-octane fuel.

Octane has NOTHING to do with the quality of the fuel or the power-producing qualities of the fuel. It burns slower....THAT'S IT.
Old Thu, April 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Just to expand on that a little more:

Increasing the octane level of the fuel by itself will do NOTHING in terms of performance (on a carburetted OR fuel injected vehicle) and in many cases will actually cause a LOSS of performance if no other steps are taken to take advantage of the anti-knock properties of higher-octane fuel.

Octane has NOTHING to do with the quality of the fuel or the power-producing qualities of the fuel. It burns slower....THAT'S IT.
Speaking of fuel quality. Is it just me or does it seem that over the coarse of the years, the quality of gas has gotten worse?
Old Fri, April 27th, 2012, 12:14 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The problem we're seeing with fuel quality is not that octane has changed, but that most gas stations are regularly running the allowable maximum of 10% Ethanol. Ethanol has a lower BTU count than gasoline and produces less energy. The only advantage is that Ethanol also has a higher octane, although the gasoline companies use this little fact to sell cheaper quality fuel and bump the octane a smidge by the addition of Ethanol. Ultimately, what you end up with is garbage compared to the gasoline that was available 10 years ago.

Some places still sell straight gasoline, but it's usually considerably more expensive... and that's if you even lucky enough to find any. The only fuel around here (N.E. GA) that I can purchase straight gasoline from is basically any place that sells VP Racing fuels. There isn't a gas station anywhere around here that doesn't sell "gasahol".

What a load of crap...

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, April 28th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Double Whopper

Makes a lot of sense. I know back in high school my old 69 ford truck ran great. These days it just does what it has to do if you know what i mean. I know of a few places here on the other side of Atlanta that sales the real deal but like you said, top dollar stuff!