Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Fri, December 18th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Almost not a Newbie

CageFighter_Dan will become famous soon enough

With a tuner you should be able turn off/ or bypass the pats system, once that is done the fuel situation should be fine, as well check the 30 amp mega fuse in the engine bay on the drivers side, by the cruise control module, I forget the number of its position but it controls power to the pcm as well
Old Fri, December 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The PATS system, as far as vehicle disabling goes, is controlled by the PCM. If the PCM is NOT a PATS enabled PCM, it's not the reason it won't start. If you can let me know what the base PCM code (Part number or HEX Code) is, I can tell you if it is a PATS style PCM or not. It is basically a single switch in the calibration that either accepts or ignores the PATS controller.

Let me know what you come up with.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, December 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Bacon King

RobbyMartin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
The PATS system, as far as vehicle disabling goes, is controlled by the PCM. If the PCM is NOT a PATS enabled PCM, it's not the reason it won't start. If you can let me know what the base PCM code (Part number or HEX Code) is, I can tell you if it is a PATS style PCM or not. It is basically a single switch in the calibration that either accepts or ignores the PATS controller.

Let me know what you come up with.
Bill and Dan,
Thanks for the advice. Too bad my mechanic won't listen. It's like he has to come up with the answer himself or its meaningless, but I'll have him check all fuses. When the truck wouldn't start and the Anti-Theft light was on he thought it was the 5.4 ECM so he was going to put the original 4.6 ECM back in and then call me. Well he didn't and when I got a hold of him the next day he told me he had come across an ECM from an '01 and an '03. He still hasn't called, which means he is stumped. Where is the HEX key located so I can get it to you? Does it have certain numbers or letters? What would be the best suggestion with the ECM's? Should I use the orig. 4.6 or the 5.4?

I'm going to purchase the Gryphon but wouldn't it be wise to make sure the truck is up and running before I do?
Old Sat, December 19th, 2009, 04:03 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The PCM connector has a sticker on it that looks like this:

The XLE4 type number is what I need. Being a 97 PCM, it should read FOU1 or something like that. It will ALWAYS be 3 letters followed by 1 number. I can also use the part number (in this case, F81F-12A650-BF) to identify the PCM.

Let me know what you can come up with on that.

In regards to the PATS, if the PCM is NOT a PATS enabled PCM, then it is NOT the reason the truck won't start... despite the blinking THEFT light. As I mentioned, the PCM has final say on THEFT mode. All the blinking light tells you at this point is that the PATS module is unable to communicate with the PCM.

If this guy won't listen to you, maybe he'll listen to one of us. I don't want to tell anyone how to do your job, but there are those of us who have been around this block a few times. There's no shame in getting help and hopefully he won't let his ego get in the way of getting your truck up and running. Dan has already done the swap and I have done so many one-off mods over the last dozen or so years that it's not even funny.

Good luck!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, December 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Almost not a Newbie

you should be using your original pcm to begin with , you will also have issues with your transmission otherwise, it makes a not of that in my swap notes, it is easier to reprogram the original pcm then it is to fart around with a replacement one , i am under the same situation with my current swap right now, and with bills tuning expertise it will be purring like a dream, USE ORIGINAL PCM, you will have less head aches, sounds like your mechanic is reaching for straws at the moment, i can pretty much gaurantee if you put in the original pcm, you will have alot less issues in the up and coming stages of this swap and starting and running the vehicle
Old Sat, December 19th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Almost not a Newbie

and personally i would be a little concerned with a mechanic that is not willing to listen to his customers suggestions? or demands for that fact. Who is paying the bill for all the labour? YOU! who is the vehicle going to after it is done? You! make a stand and tell him if he does not start having a better communication relay with you and your needs and wants out of the project that YOU are paying for as the customer , you need to get that machine away from this guy before you 50 hr job turns into a 3 month job and a invoice that you could buy a new truck with , and a years worth of fuel lol

best of luck , we are all standing behind you with any info you may need and support
Old Sat, December 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Bacon King

The original PCM is from a 4.6 truck. My replacement engine is a 5.4. What issues will I have and what will performance be like with using a 4.6 programmed ECM on a 5.4 engine? I know Bill can provide a tune that will correct any issue but until I get it what should I expect?
Old Sat, December 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Almost not a Newbie

That's exactly how I am driving mine every day right now with the original 4.6 pcm while I have the 5.4 engine swapped and installed, so far all I notice is more power that's for sure, idle is just a little rough due to the 4.6 using size 19 injectors and the 5.4 uses size 24 injectors
It is still very drivable! As well my shift points between 40 km and 50 km is a little chopping and bogs same as 80 to 103 km all of this will be remedied when I get the tuner with the custom pcm flash that bill is making for me, will be here monday, trust me! Use the original 4.6 pcm computer and u will be able to use it as a daily driver while waiting for your gryphon from bill or start the order process now, it will be the same set up exactly as mine
Old Sat, December 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Bacon King

Bill, I'll get you those numbers as soon as I find out what ECM he decides to use. Any other advice from you or Dan at this point? I can't tell you guys how grateful I am for your help.
Old Sat, December 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Almost not a Newbie

well from the sounds of things so far my only advice is don't let your mechanic make these disisions for you anymore, you have to tell him you want to use your original ecm/pcm which ever that was in the truck when you brought it to him, and that you will get any and all tuning needs addressed by bill with yout gryphon, all he should be doing at this point is the wrench work i would suggest as soon as you hear it fire up , drive it QUICKLY out of this guys garage before he starts attempting anything else that may affect the drivability issues before you get the tuner installed , best of luck , as for bill all he needed from me was the pcm/ecm which ever lol number that he told you about earlier from your existing hardware that was in the vehicle as well as a list of any other mods you have done past stock stage with this vehicle , ie, change of muffler diameter pipe, removal of the cats that sort of thing and the year and size of the newly swapped engineor as well the original tranny if you haven't changed it , unless it is in bad shape i would leave your original tranny alone as well, the tunes will fix any shifting point issues and torque conversion.

good luck, feel free to pm directly if you have any other issues, all these replies to posts and pms go directly to my blackberry and i uselly just respond via the cell phone as i was doing today with these ones from my job site
benifits of being the boss lol