Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Sat, February 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Whopper

Bigwheel is on a distinguished road
Default SCT X3 vs Gryphon

Hey Everyone,

I,m in information overload. I've already read every sticky, post, thread and used search engines on this forum, F150online and F150forum. After all that I've narrowed my choices down to the two programmers in my title. Right now the only modification I should have in place within the next week is true dual Magnaflow exhaust. I will be adding a CAI so will need custom tunes. If I have my facts right, which I hope you will confirm or correct, then I can proceed with my choice and order. By the way I'm not an engineer or mechanic, will not be racing or towing and frankly do not need many bells and whistles. I'm simply trying to maximize performance for daily driving both interstate & city.

Both X3 & Gryphon ....
* costs $399 + $30 per custom tune
* come with canned tunes to use until custom are ready
* both can receive upgrades via e-mail or online support

If all things are equal I'm thinking the Gryphon is the most for the money. Am I on the right track? I know this is way over simplified but this is already long enough. I'm just trying to figure out if they cost the same which to choose. My only concern about onboard Gryphon is it getting stolen. At least with the SCT I can keep it in a safe place away from the truck and out of site.

Thoughts?
Old Sat, February 20th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Yeah your pretty much right on but you dont have to completely install the gyphon pod though. You can drive with the cable holding it in place so you can still have the benefits of watching the engine parameters. When you park you can just unplug the programmer and put it in your glovebox.
Old Sat, February 20th, 2010, 11:20 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

With the display option the gryphon was my choice.
I have never even thought about any one stealing it because it blends in so well with the dash.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, February 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

If you want the gauges I wouldn't let the stolen fact change your mind....because it is as easy to remove the gryphon as a gps. Just take it off and put it in the glove box. So your choice really comes down to whether you want gauges or not.
Old Sun, February 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
Whopper

Bigwheel is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the confirmations guys. I've got to see where I stand with all my other add ons I want to do but the Gryphon it will be when it comes time. Thanks so much!!! I see now why Corey and Bill value this forum so much.