Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Mon, March 14th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Whopper Junior

brnofx is on a distinguished road
2004 5.4l running really rough

I have a 2004 5.4L that has a gryphon

Over the weekend, the truck went Pop Pop Pop, and the check engine light came on while the wife was driving and then the truck started running super rough. I got around to working on it this morning and here is the story.

It showed no codes at all. I took it for a drive to hopefully throw the code again, but no joy. It almost stalls when stopped, I have to two foot it to keep the fuel going.

So I cleaned the Throttle body, the intake, and the MAF. Just an easy cheap thing to do, thought maybe I would get lucky. Not so lucky. The truck ran just as bad.

Then I started pulling wires off of the COP's to see if the problem got worse or better and try find the culprit. What I found is that all four cylinders on the passenger side of the truck are not firing.

So in my denial, I thought maybe there was a clogged fuel filter, so I changed that this afternoon. Ford sold me the wrong part (gotta love the dealerships in this town), so I had to go back. Got the right part and got it changed. The job needed to be done anyways, but it did not help my current situation.

So here are my theories:
1: Phaser gave up the ghost. This truck has always had the dreaded phaser tick. It doesn't anymore. I looked down the oil filler hole and the cam is turning. My question is what happens when the ticky phaser finally dies? Does it make the truck run like this?

2: Vacuum leak somewhere that I can't find. I once had an old K car that acted just like this and it was a vacuum leak. Could a backfire (the pop) through that plastic intake manifold have cracked it somewhere and that is now making it run like this?

Does anybody have any ideas? If I have to change the phasers I will, but I really don't want to go through it and have the truck running like this after I put it all back together.

Any ideas of other things that I can try?

Thanks in Advance!
Dan
Old Mon, September 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Whopper Junior

Finnegan33 is on a distinguished road

Did you ever figure out the problem? I'm curious because my truck has the cam phaser tick. Also how many miles was on your truck when it started this issue?

Thanks