Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Sat, July 9th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

AZFX4 is on a distinguished road

Autozone pulled no codes.

I tried emissions 2nd time, OBD still not ready. My buddy found a site on what to do for the drive cycle and it was from Ford Motor Company so I did that. Went back, but being I "failed" twice I got locked out of the system. I have to go through ADEQ, Enviromental Quality bs.. so I went to them, they checked after I did what was said for drive cycle and I'm still not ready.

My question is right now... is there anyway that being that I'm still tuned, it's not letting my computer relearn this? It's showing my EVAP monitor and EGR monitor isn't ready. The guy was cool and told me how EVAP is hard to get to read, but will come on first before EGR... he explained how to try to get it to come on was have gas at 1/2 tank and keep it there and drive city/highway... but it can't be under 1/2, but not to much over 1/2.... he told me a lady drove for 5 weeks and STILL wasn't ready. He even had his Expedition on the dyno and a scan tool measuring everything and had it perfect and it still didn't want to register it. I asked if I should just disconnect battery and redo it and he said no since I'm so close. I just need 1 more monitor to be ready for him to unlock it, then I can go down and try emissions. Not guaranteed to pass but it's my only way to see.

So can this get tagged and have Bill read this? I just need to know if it's possible the Gryphon being tuned still may be causing my computer to not be ready? I've got 6 days til it's due and either I keep driving for next few days and HOPE it clears, or reset it and put it back at stock. But then it's possible it takes even longer to get everything reading, ready.
Old Sat, July 9th, 2011, 07:15 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I still think that the shop has a faulty cord....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, July 9th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I left a note for Bill...
Old Sat, July 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM

Heck if I know.. it's such a PITA!

Just want it to be done and over with.
Old Sat, July 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

AZFX4 - I've been watching this thread, but haven't really had anything to say, so I stayed out of it.

However, until you talk to Bill, I would strongly advise that you DO NOT return to the Level 0 Stock tune. That is guaranteed to set your P1000 code and that in itself will cause you to fail.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the symptoms you have though. I'm reasonably certain nothing in Bill's tunes effects the Evap System. So, I wonder if there's possibly a sensor failure in that circuit? The EGR though is a whole different matter. I WOULD expect Bill's tunes to interact with EGR. I suppose though, there can be a sensor failure in the EGR circuit too. I have no electrical information on your model year truck, so I'm just guessing.

Now, it's possible if you reset to Level 0 and then reloaded your tune, the problems would go away. (But please don't do that unless Bill says to do so.)

One thing that would be safe is to check for codes. Have you done that? And, if you find any, try to clear them.

Beyond this bit of pretty fuzzy advice, I've nothing brilliant to offer. Yours is the FIRST truck I've heard of failing an emissions check while being tuned.

And, 88, I doubt the "cord at the shop is bad". Here in Arizona, inspection stations are licensed facilities with several entrance bays. And, they are not affiliated with any "repair" facilities. Unless he used the same bay, he'd be getting a different monitor. And, I doubt a bay would go belly up on just his truck but think everyone else's is fine. I DO think there's a problem, but have no clue how to fix it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, July 9th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Being the FIRST is in most cases, the best thing. But in this case it sucks.

My truck also is basically the only truck I have read about the PCM being locked when changing tunes, which was 1 reason I was scared to return to stock incase it decided to lock itself once again!

Autozone checked for codes, I had no codes. And plugging the unit back into OBD port I figured would not be smart, but what do I know.

It sucks, I guess keep driving it.... that's all I'm told I can do. UNLESS something is wrong internally with the wiring or computer. And if the sensor is somehow bad, how would I change it? Guy at ADEQ explained to me there isn't anything to be changed or fixed, it can only be driven off.... so I'm stumped. I would HATE for me to plug the Gryphon back in and reset the computer again and have to go through the P1000 and try to clear it all again. But maybe plugging it in will help? I have 5 days, then I have to get an extension which is 30days, so I would be willing to try anything then.
Old Sat, July 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I "feel your pain", as someone once said, and wish I could help. I added a couple of thoughts to my previous post while you were posting your last.

Wish I could be more help.

- Jack
Old Sat, July 9th, 2011, 09:17 PM

Thanks..we shall see what happens.
Old Mon, July 11th, 2011, 03:23 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
AZFX4 - I've been watching this thread, but haven't really had anything to say, so I stayed out of it.

However, until you talk to Bill, I would strongly advise that you DO NOT return to the Level 0 Stock tune. That is guaranteed to set your P1000 code and that in itself will cause you to fail.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the symptoms you have though. I'm reasonably certain nothing in Bill's tunes effects the Evap System. So, I wonder if there's possibly a sensor failure in that circuit? The EGR though is a whole different matter. I WOULD expect Bill's tunes to interact with EGR. I suppose though, there can be a sensor failure in the EGR circuit too. I have no electrical information on your model year truck, so I'm just guessing.

Now, it's possible if you reset to Level 0 and then reloaded your tune, the problems would go away. (But please don't do that unless Bill says to do so.)

One thing that would be safe is to check for codes. Have you done that? And, if you find any, try to clear them.

Beyond this bit of pretty fuzzy advice, I've nothing brilliant to offer. Yours is the FIRST truck I've heard of failing an emissions check while being tuned.

And, 88, I doubt the "cord at the shop is bad". Here in Arizona, inspection stations are licensed facilities with several entrance bays. And, they are not affiliated with any "repair" facilities. Unless he used the same bay, he'd be getting a different monitor. And, I doubt a bay would go belly up on just his truck but think everyone else's is fine. I DO think there's a problem, but have no clue how to fix it.

- Jack
It is a possibilty.....I used a scan tool once it was fine on all makes and models except VW''s produced in 04-06.....especially jettas....one of the contacts was not raised enough in the scan tool to make contact with the slightly depressed one in the jetta's port.....but if the OP was set up in two different bays with two different monitors then my theory is out the door......

Take care

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, July 12th, 2011, 06:26 PM

I feel like something is really wrong. 508+ miles and it still said NOT READY...... Either the custom tunes for some reason has it blocked from monitoring it? Or something with my PCM... I don't know? I mean the Gryphon acts as my PCM in a way, so could it be blocking it?

I'm making a drive to Flagstaff Thursday. I think it's around 200+ miles round trip.. I was thinking of setting it back to stock, disconnecting battery and driving there and back and try and see what happens. But I'm scared my trucks PCM will lock itself AGAIN. And since Bill hasn't been chiming in and giving his opinion, if my truck did lock itself I may be screwed..............