Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Sat, March 6th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Double Whopper

double j is on a distinguished road
Default edge upgrade & custom tune questions

my truck is a f150 stx super cab 4x4 with the 4.6L

my mods are
-volant cold air intake
-mbrp cat back 3.5" exhuast with single tail pipe
-helix power tower TB spacer
-295 70 17 tires
-edge evo (soon to bee gryphon)

i am going to upgrade my edge to a gryphon and get custom tunes. i was looking at the order form and seen that you can get custom tunes in several different octane ratings. is the higher octane going to make that much of a difference or is it just preference of what gas you want to put in your ride. i know that it will help a little to get higher octane. but is it going to make that much of a difference.
i am looking at getting the
-custom 87 tow
-custom 87 performance
-custom 93 performance
would i be wasting my money getting the 2 performance tunes. i usually run 87 in my truck.

also i seen on the order form there was a coice if you had catalytic converters or if you had deleted them. is this going to make a big difference. i have heard that if you take them off your truck will run like crap. i guess what i am asking does the custom tunes compensate for having your catalytic converters removed. if so i would like to remove them to get the most that i can out of my new gryphon when i get it. but dont want my truck to run like crap or use a tone of gas.

any help on this will be greatly apperciated. THANKS
Old Sat, March 6th, 2010, 10:33 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

With you having a CAI those tunes look excellent.

My personal prefrence with cat removal is this. Leave them in place but if you want to delete them replace with high flo cats. At least you'll have something there just in case the emissions Nazis ever start poking around.

Hope that helps.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, March 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Double Whopper

thanks for the input 88. if i do take off my cats it should not be a problem there are no emissions around where i live. but you never know when they might start. do you know if it would cause any problems with the way my truck runs. also do you have any input on the octane rating that i had posted.
Old Sun, March 7th, 2010, 10:53 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by double j View Post
thanks for the input 88. if i do take off my cats it should not be a problem there are no emissions around where i live. but you never know when they might start. do you know if it would cause any problems with the way my truck runs. also do you have any input on the octane rating that i had posted.
They can be removed and a mod done to the rear o2 sensors but I don't can't approve or disapprove of you doing this to your truck.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Double Whopper

well im just going to leave them on there. i dont want to mess anything up. thanks for your input once again.
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Double Whopper

also do you know about the octane rating is it going to make a big difference
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have pretty much the same tunes on my truck, with the 2 performance and the 1 tow. I havent noticed much difference in the octane ratings. There are a lot of threads talking about octane ratings here and on other F-150 sites that might help more. I personally use the 93 octane as the daily driver and I think i get slightly better fuel mileage, but I have never actually compared them for long enough to make a good guesstimate. You could specify the 87 to be geared towards gas mileage, while 93 for performance. but that was just my 2 cents.
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Double j, I'm going to say this: Our trucks were designed to run on 87 octane fuel. As I'm sure you know, octane rating is just an indication of the fuel's "anti-knock" properties - nothing more. A higher octane fuel is more resistant to being ignited under pressure and, when it does ignite, it tends to burn more slowly. That's all there is to it.

With higher octane fuel, in our engines, we can advance the spark a bit to ignite the fuel charge earlier, since it needs the earlier ignition to complete the burn "on time". The overall effect is a more "controlled push" on the piston in the power stroke. Some people claim this give them enough of a power boost that their mileage improves enough to justify running the expensive stuff. That may well be, but you would have to check that yourself. You WILL experience more power due to the more "controlled" burn.

To really take advantage of high octane though, you need to be able to increase the engine's compression. This would involve an engine rebuild.

So, is there a BIG difference? Not enough for me to worry about filling with high octane gas. I think my truck has plenty of power. I can pass just about anyone traveling slower than me in a safe distance, even pulling a trailer. You, of course, could see it differently. You'd have to try both kinds of gas with custom tunes for each to find out.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, March 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Double Whopper

thanks for all the input. i think i am going to just get this

1 canned transmission only
2 custom 87 tow
3 custom 87 performance

this will save me a few bucks and i can always get another custom tune if i feel the need in the future. going to send my order in this weekend or at the first of next week i cant wait.thanks to everyone once again.