Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Fri, October 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Wanna go fast

fordkindaguy is on a distinguished road
Default Is there and Econonmy tune available?

I have the 93perf tune right now and am getting around 16mpg average. i was wondering if there is an 87 economy or 93 economy tune available? , if there is what is a rough guess of mileage improvement? thanks!
Old Fri, October 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkindaguy View Post
I have the 93perf tune right now and am getting around 16mpg average. i was wondering if there is an 87 economy or 93 economy tune available? , if there is what is a rough guess of mileage improvement? thanks!
Bill can certainly write tunes for you that try to improve your mileage. My rough guess is though, you'd be lucky to see as much as 0.5 MPG improvement over your "performance" tune. I asked for and have an 87 economy tune. And you can certainly get a 93 economy tune. They don't cost much, and if the price of gas goes up again, even a 0.5 MPG increase will pay for itself rather quickly.

Talk to Bill about this. He'll let you know if he thinks it's worth it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Wanna go fast

hmm, i'm gonna try to run a full tank taking it east to see what i'm really getting. its hard to not jump on it
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The main difference with an "Economy" style tune (whether gas or diesel) generally centers around reducing the shift points a few RPM/MPH. The only complaint we've really had on this type of setup is that the vehicle seems to lug a little at light throttle. Also, this type of setup only works when there is a fair bit of stop & go type driving. For highway driving there isn't any noticeable benefit. For highway driving, the performance program IS the economy program.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I know I got some good mileage by lowering all of my shift points on the canned tunes. I think I also lowered the idle a little bit. That brought my city up from 10-13 up to the 13-16 range. Im not so sure about my cutom tune though, now I'm getting about 13 city. I think my mileage went back down because the shift points are higher rather than lower than stock.
Old Sat, October 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Wanna go fast

Hey i've been taking it easy without changing anything, still on the 93 perf and am up to 17mpg now i just set it to shift into 3rd and 4th earlier. i cant lower my idle speed though i can only raise it, what up with that bill? and if i can lower it how far should i go to still be safe. i have stock tires
Old Mon, October 19th, 2009, 04:41 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The 97-03 firmware only supports raising the Idle speed, not lowering it. Unfortunately, the 97-03 firmware is a bit more complicated because of the communications structure between the programmer unit and the "smart" cable. It makes it difficult to make certain changes in the firmware which is why the 97-03 doesn't have all the fancy stuff that the 04-08 does. It's one of those things that we do want to get updated, but because of the time and complexity involved, I need a week of peace and quiet to effect those changes. Until then, it's all we've got.

Hope that makes sense.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, March 27th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Whopper Junior

jerseymike47 is on a distinguished road
Question Bill, freeway economy tune ??

Hey Bill,

As for an economy tune for freeway driving, can a program be written that would cut fuel to 2 cylinders to improve fuel mileage on the road. Maybe something that would work in correlation with engine load. Thanks, Mike
Old Sat, March 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike47 View Post
Hey Bill,

As for an economy tune for freeway driving, can a program be written that would cut fuel to 2 cylinders to improve fuel mileage on the road. Maybe something that would work in correlation with engine load. Thanks, Mike
You mean like how some dodges can cut down to 4 cylinders? I've been wanting to ask that but keep forgetting.

That would be a very usefull tune if it's possible.
Old Mon, March 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road

yea thats quite impressive to me how dodge is doing that.
my buddy recently got an '04 1500ram 4dr. the '04 hemi is rated at 345hp stock!!
he also says it gets better mileage than his previous ram that was a 1500 single cab v6.

im interested in the answer to this one....