Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Thu, February 4th, 2021, 07:28 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
Default Carnage? Anyone?

This was a project from three weeks ago.

Driver said started noticing smoke from tailpipe; no noise or odd running. What does a guy do that doesn't own the equipment or hold any financial stake in its repair? Drive it 15 miles back to the shop, of course! He made it 10-11 miles before it started knocking and making a REAL smoke trail. He continued driving the remainder of the way, parked it right in front of the shop door, and shut it off. Restart? No way - hydrolocked.

This is an '06 with 225K miles. I've done an oil cooler, a high pressure oil pump fitting, turbo, and EGR cooler up to this point. Oh, and one injector about 105K miles ago. It's been problem-free as far as 6.0Ls go.

Before I get too far into this, I will admit that I NEVER wanted to work on 6.0L vehicles but I've been into them enough to know that I CAN fix them if I need to. I can have a 7.3L from a 99-03 on a stand in about 2 hours these days as familiarity is my friend. It took me nearly 6 hours to get this engine out and on a stand. I don't want to get used to these as there is just too much stuff that's buried or routed insanely stupid (thank you to the engineers!) or there's just too much interference to slide it right out.

It's back up and running now for two weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210120_102015.jpg (943.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20210121_095615.jpg (1.02 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20210106_092710.jpg (533.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20210121_111533.jpg (1.17 MB, 15 views)
Old Sun, February 7th, 2021, 10:14 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

What did you do, repair wise? Replace the one piston? It amazing how many broken injector tips happen on the 6.0’s. A lot of people just put a new injector in that hole, and maybe a turbo if the tip exited the cylinder and didn't stay in the piston top. 😳. Not a great fix though.

Was it one of the reman injectors or one of the org that broke?
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Mon, February 8th, 2021, 06:32 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Chiseled the chunks (two of them) out of the crown and slapped it back together. There wasn't any damage (not enough anyway) that would cause piston-to-wall concerns and the top ring still moved freely in the gap.

225K on a 6.0L that is in a pickup that has been driven 90% of the time on gravel roads over the last 116K miles was pretty hard to justify a $10K investment.

No, different injector than the one that was replaced. If memory serves, I put the new injector in at 148K. The amazing thing is that both injectors were purchased from Ford and the first one cost $352 and this second one was only $235. The first one in #6 was just a dead miss due to something in the oil side taking a dump.
Old Mon, February 8th, 2021, 04:04 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Before I get too far into this, I will admit that I NEVER wanted to work on 6.0L vehicles but I've been into them enough to know that I CAN fix them if I need to. I can have a 7.3L from a 99-03 on a stand in about 2 hours these days as familiarity is my friend. It took me nearly 6 hours to get this engine out and on a stand. I don't want to get used to these as there is just too much stuff that's buried or routed insanely stupid (thank you to the engineers!) or there's just too much interference to slide it right out.
Pretty much the only way to do an engine on these is to do a cab-off. After the first one or two, you can have the cab off in less than about an hour, have the engine torn down in-frame, and then yank the short block if necessary. Much easier than tearing apart the whole damn front end on those.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, February 8th, 2021, 05:24 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Pretty much the only way to do an engine on these is to do a cab-off. After the first one or two, you can have the cab off in less than about an hour.

If I had a two-post hoist it would be a non-issue but everything I do at work is only as far from the floor as I can get with jackstands.

Also, I hope to never have to do another anyway so "the first one or two" shouldn't be an issue.

Still running!
Old Tue, November 2nd, 2021, 09:00 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Got an early 04 at the shop. 253K and needs a high pressure oil pump. Man, what I wouldn't give to use the ICP port in the RH valve cover to air check it but no dice on the early birds. I'd buy the first beer for the guy who knows the engineer who cobbled together this fecal abortion.....and kicks him sqare in the noitz.

No leaks of substance from the crankcase but I have gurgling in the oil filter housing. Died on highway - No start, builds 500-ish PSI cranking. If it were a small leak, the 30 degree morning would probably warrant a start and run until warm. Nope. DED.
Old Sat, November 6th, 2021, 04:05 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Next reason the engineers should be castrated....

Later 6.0s don't have this piece. Thanks to this "crossover", the intake has to come off.....which means the oil/fuel filter assembly has to come off....which means I have to get MORE seals and drain coolant.

IDIOTS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211106_150612.jpg (1.08 MB, 7 views)
Old Sat, November 6th, 2021, 04:14 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Wasn't there a GM car (maybe a Corvette) that you had to take the engine out to change one of the spark plugs, back in the last century?

There were equally bad engineering designs in aircraft in the 50's. Located things in cockpits that forced the pilot to do bad things during flight, such as bend over and reach down to set something up during instrument flying. Almost guaranteed to induce vertigo if done in a turn.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, November 6th, 2021, 08:16 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpine View Post
Wasn't there a GM car (maybe a Corvette) that you had to take the engine out to change one of the spark plugs, back in the last century?

There were equally bad engineering designs in aircraft in the 50's. Located things in cockpits that forced the pilot to do bad things during flight, such as bend over and reach down to set something up during instrument flying. Almost guaranteed to induce vertigo if done in a turn.

- Jack

I don't know but between engineers that obviously don't talk to each other about what they're doing and having never had to actually WORK ON the junk they design, well..........

I can't complain too much. I am not able to engineer anything much past fabricobbling some scrap metal into useful things.
Old Mon, November 8th, 2021, 01:22 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Here's a good one...

Gen 1 Audi R8 with the V8 engine. You have to remove the engine to replace the A/C Compressor. Of course, these things failed quite regularly so there were lots of engines getting yanked on these cars.

Glad mine is a Gen 2 with the V10. So far, very reliable systems and things are easier to get at. Although, I don't work on it since it is under warranty, but I imagine the techs appreciate the improved designs.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!