Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Sun, May 16th, 2021, 07:45 AM
Whopper Junior

Voodoosmooth is on a distinguished road
Default Hydra chip stalling truck

1997 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke - Pretty nuch stock engine (Cali model) with the Hydra. It had been running great for a few months, then a few weeks ago Truck died on me while driving. I was able to get it to the stock position and the truck ran again. Happened again yesterday while driving and switching tunes on the Hydra. Engine literally quit and I had to manhandle it it coast into a parking lot. Switched the tuner back to stock and it started again. Any ideas?
Old Mon, May 17th, 2021, 08:58 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoosmooth View Post
1997 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke - Pretty nuch stock engine (Cali model) with the Hydra. It had been running great for a few months, then a few weeks ago Truck died on me while driving. I was able to get it to the stock position and the truck ran again. Happened again yesterday while driving and switching tunes on the Hydra. Engine literally quit and I had to manhandle it it coast into a parking lot. Switched the tuner back to stock and it started again. Any ideas?
I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

In nearly every case of a vehicle cutting out while driving, there is ultimately a connection issue between the chip and the PCM. It could be from over-cleaning or under-cleaning the PCM connector causing an issue, or there could be a vibration that causes the chip to wiggle a little and lose contact.

I would suggest:
  • Disconnect the PCM Connector to kill power to the PCM
  • Removing the parking brake assembly
  • Remove the chip from the PCM
  • Take a piece of Scotch Brite and lightly buff the contacts on both sides
  • Wipe contacts with alcohol and a paper towel
  • Blow out the connector on the chip just to make sure there's no silicone in there
  • Reinstall the chip in the PCM
  • Rock the exposed part of the chip back and forth slightly (in this case, left and right) to help seat the contacts
  • Use vinyl duct tape to fasten the chip to the PCM (this prevents vibration)
  • Reattach the parking brake assembly
  • Make sure that all cables are routed smoothly and not pinched anywhere
  • Reconnect the PCM connector

This should most likely clear up any issue you are having with the stalling.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!