Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty

Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Double Whopper

08FX4RBP is on a distinguished road
CAI Code(s)-Any Fix Soon??

Is there going to be a "Fix" coming out for the CAI troble codes that some of the trucks throw b/c of the mass air??
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08FX4RBP View Post
Is there going to be a "Fix" coming out for the CAI troble codes that some of the trucks throw b/c of the mass air??
Can you be more specific?
Like what's happening or what codes are your getting?
Are you running canned or custom tunes?
My fix for my truck was take it off and put stock back on and cleaned maf sensor.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Double Whopper

There is already a thread about the problems i had with the AFE intake and the codes it has thrown. It runs without throwing a code with the stock intake on. I was just wondering how long or if it was possible to get a "fix" so i can run the intake.
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sorry about that! It hit me about 10 minutes after I posted my response.
To be quite honest with you I thought Cody or DJ might have an idea?

Lars

Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Double Whopper

no i have not heard anything yet, no responses from anyone. I guess i will keep waiting.
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08FX4RBP View Post
no i have not heard anything yet, no responses from anyone. I guess i will keep waiting.
Thank you for being patient! Php knows about your problem and they are working on it.
Lars

Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

As far as a fix goes for your intake situation, the only way around the issue is to get an intake that won't set the codes.

Here is the problem.....

When the Ford engineers designed the intake tract on the truck, the mass airflow sensor was installed and mapped to IT. Air has mass. Any bends, restrictions, turbulence, etc. will cause a DIFFERENT mass airflow volume reading than what the factory air intake has. For instance, if the MAF sensor is placed on the outside edge of a curve in the duct work then the reading from the sensor will measure higher than if the sensor was placed in the inside edge since most of the airflow is forced to the outside edge of the curve.

Ford (as well as Dodge and GM) requires that a KNOWN airflow through the engine be monitored to measure the effectiveness of the EGR system and the particulate filter restriction model. Any time the values are skewed and not within the specified parameters for a given RPM, load, temperature, etc. then a code is going to set.

Sorry about this. The only way that Bill would be able to "fix" the problem is to have the exact Ford airflow specifications and calibrate the MAF sensor signal from the aftermarket intake to reflect what the PCM wants to see....or a lot of trial and error with MAF sensor placement in the tube that closely mimics the factory piece.
Old Fri, July 3rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Double Whopper

I understand the whole mass air placement probelm, the voltagae it puts out and so on......I just did not know with the diesel if you could manipulate the readable mass air flow voltages going through the system, like extend the readable voltage. Im used to dealing with gas cars, so this whole diesel thing is new to me.
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Double Whopper

sonic blue l is on a distinguished road

aftermarket airboxs also cause increased regen cycle, depending upon the air box of course. Also watch for dirt bypassing.
Old Tue, July 7th, 2009, 10:28 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I wonder if the voltage being put out by your sensor is high or low? If it's high, you could probably "fool" the system by inserting a dropping resistor in the output circuit. To calculate the correct resistance, you'd need to know the current voltage, the amperage and the "trigger" voltage that sets the code. You would not want to use any higher resistance than necessary.

Of course, if the voltage is low, this approach would not work.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer