Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, September 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Bacon King

str088 is on a distinguished road
Default Leveling Kit info

Hey guys just wanted to know some info on leveling kits.
First off I wanted to know what is the usual cost of having
the leveling kit installed, what a good deal is and what a bad
one would be? I understand that costs differ from state to
state and city to city; what I'm looking for is more of a general
estimation.

Second what brand of leveling kit would be a reliable product
to buy from, from experience and reputation? I heard "airbags"
were great but I'm afraid that the heat here in Vegas, the
extreme weather in general, would affect it. So I'm leaning more
towards the spacers, but would like info on both.

Next I wanted to know which space 1" to 2.5" would give the
best flush look, I have a tonneau cover that I think has some
substantial weight so I don't want a sag. I would like either a
1.5" to 2" but am considering 2.5" if it is much straighter compared
to the others.

Are there any downsides to having a leveling kit? Once you have
the leveling kit on what else do you need to maintain the integrity
of the vehicle? I understand that after leveling a vehicle you need
an alignment, but are there any other things you need to do?

Thanks for the future comments and I'm always grateful for all the
help that you guys give, thanks again.

PS I have a 2wd dunno if you guys need anymore info.
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I put on a 3" procomp leveling kit, cost about $200 but i installed it myself. It took me maybe 2 hours, and it was very simple and straight forward. You can search my albums and see what my truck looked like before and after if you want. I did notice that my front was about an inch higher than the back, but i did have a tonneau cover that was about that high installed over the bed and I never thought the front was up too high unless I looked only at the lower half of the truck. You could do a 2.5 or a 2 inch leveling kit and it would make it about even, but I have heard of some trucks getting a 3" and it settling down to a 2" after a few months of driving. idk how true that is, but it is definitely food for thought.
Airbags are usually for the rear of the truck, so if you wanted to do those with the leveling kit, you could, and you could basically lift the truck, 3" in the front and 1" in the back.
Any other questions feel free to ask.
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

3" woud be too much for a 2wd and I think the settling happens on the polymer style lift kits.

I have a hell bent steel 2.5" leveling kit for 04-08 2wd. It was around $70 I think. If you do not want to install it yourself find a shop that'll quote you for removing and reinstalling the two front struts (that is what I was quoted). I ended putting them in myself with some jacks, proper wrenches and a metal bar to use for leverage. I'll post some pics later because I just realized I deleted them by accident a few months back and can't access my photobucket. If you are a member on F150Online or TruckModCentral just look me up there. I've got some pictures over there that should show how my truck is sitting now. I also posted a thread on F150online when I installed them and included before and after pics.
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Bacon King

That's awesome! Yeah I'm most likely going to end up installing it myself, with my girl's step-dad because he's a mechanic. Just wanted to see how much just in case I got lazy.

Both of you're trucks look awesome and I'm settling more on the 2.5", and I think I'll go with the steel spacers that you just mount on top of the strut. I was wondering if you guys know if there is a difference between the materials, I guess there is a polymer and steel kind? Was just wondering which would you guys prefer? I've talked to a guy at my work who had a leveling kit and he said the steel kind is the way to go and that the other stuff makes a squealing sound after awhile. Is that true?

I see, about the airbags I won't be getting that then haha. Don't want to do too much on the truck, just want to lessen the factory rake. From you guys' experience and from what you've heard are there any downsides to putting on a leveling kit? Any extra maintenance? I'm getting extra money from the army and hopefully am able to install the leveling kit soon. Any reputable brands I should shop for? Thanks again for you guys' help its very much appreciated.
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Grown-up in training!

I didnt even think about the 2wd being lower than the 4wd, but that makes total sense...
I did the steel because of the durability factor, I know that I won't have to worry about them. I could see the polymer spacers squeaking, but I haven't dealt with them at all so I don't know for sure.
The only difference in the leveling kit maintenance wise is that you should make sure nothing rubs anywhere in the suspension after they are installled, mine was close, and i had a mechanic that did a brake job for me tell me that I shouldn't jump the truck or do anything that would rapidly extend the shocks because it might break something important, like the springs... lol. So yeah, keep that in mind
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Bacon King

I just looked online and am wondering is there a difference between the aluminum and steel spacers?
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Bacon King

Awesome. Yeah I'm thinking more towards the steel spacers also. And my tires aren't too big so rubbing shouldn't be a major problem. Would bull bars make my front sag? Or do you guys think it'll be okay on 2.5"?
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by str088 View Post
I just looked online and am wondering is there a difference between the aluminum and steel spacers?
yes... but there really won't be much of a difference as far as i know. The steel will be stronger, but the aluminum should be cheaper/lighter so if you don't have the money for steel, the aluminum should do fine. but then again they might be the same price, so get the steel.

i Hope that helps
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Grown-up in training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by str088 View Post
Awesome. Yeah I'm thinking more towards the steel spacers also. And my tires aren't too big so rubbing shouldn't be a major problem. Would bull bars make my front sag? Or do you guys think it'll be okay on 2.5"?
I didn't see that comment, and I dont think the bull bars would be a problem at all, and if they did make the front heavier they would only help make it more level
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Bacon King

Lol you'd be surprised to here that the Aluminum one was the the more expensive, but
yeah I want to get the steel ones. What tools would I need to install them? A jack, stands, some wrenches...? Thanks.

Tags
2004, f150, leveling kit